No announcement yet.

Are the English bad tippers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the English bad tippers?

Talking to a waiter friend he said that one of the groups he dreads to have to serve is Brits because they are very tight with their money and many times won't leave a tip at all.

That came as kind of a surprise to me. Is this not a custom in England?

it's not a custom in england, and there's a difference in the way their minimum wages are regulated, and how tips are taxed.

i don't think the english are cheap because they don't tip at home, but if they're in america and dining out, they should be tipping.

your friend should slap a brit, not because of the the tips, but for the revolution.

Comment

The waiters over here actually have a wage so tipping isn't as needed as it is across the pond. They're earning at least $11/12 before tips. Tipping is normally done in reaction to really good service rather than just receiving service at all.

Comment

Im a generous tipper in my country and im still baffled at how americans handle tipping....reward ****ty service or be frowned upon.

Comment

In my book you provide me and my family a good service you will be tipped. A waitress in Portugal only a month ago. Returned a 10 euro tip 20% of the bill. We only had breakfast she was happy as punch when I said it was for her.

Then again I have been in places where the food is crap the service is crap and there looking for a tip,? Duck that lol

Comment

I'm English and let me tell you, the English are a miserable ugly bunch, I will try to leave this land.

Comment

If i'm pleased with said service, i'll tip, wherever i am in the world. If i'm not impressed....

Well i've walked out a few places before refusing to pay because of incompetent daft and shoddy food. I don't just up off and leave. I'll hve a row with them 1st.

Where miserable as fuk and don't live in some 'dreamland/bubble' of 'freedom'. We a are cynical ****s yes... Firm but fair.

Comment

we don't have a tipping culture over here. i only ever tip at home if i've received exceptional service (or i'm drunk), and i usually just leave an arbitrary amount rather than calculating a set percentage. when i visit the states i try to tip as an american would, though. you should abide by local customs when you go abroad.

it is a bit confusing, though. are you supposed to tip bartenders in america, for instance? if you tried to give a bartender extra money in london they'd think you were up to something.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

your friend should slap a brit, not because of the the tips, but for the revolution.
                  In that case he should slap and Indian because India is the only reason you won.

Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
                  Im a generous tipper in my country and im still baffled at how americans handle tipping....reward ****ty service or be frowned upon.
                  In the US tips are how the employees get paid. The minimum server wage is insanely low and he majority of their income comes from tips. In fact servers are taxed according to a proportion of the sales value of the meals they serve. The IRS assumes they made 15% average on the restaurant receipts so if you tip them less than that they're actually losing money.

Now there are two advantages to having this system if you're a consumer. Firstly the costs of meals are lower. Secondly a restaurant can afford to employ far more servers because it isn't costing the much money to hire a second or third or fourth server.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    Talking to a waiter friend he said that one of the groups he dreads to have to serve is Brits because they are very tight with their money and many times won't leave a tip at all.

That came as kind of a surprise to me. Is this not a custom in England?
                    lol at "talking to a waiter friend" lol.

its ok to admit that you're a waiter shoulderRoll.

my water needs a refill bro.

Comment

Working...
                    X