No announcement yet.

Micr0$oft's new tablet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
    Quad-Core in a tablet .... technology is advancing by leaps and bounds. I wouldn't have guessed that was possible with the heat generated by such a dense CPU. Apple is going to have to step up their game.
    That was the Asus Prime, to me it's a better overall tablet than the ipad. I have the Ipad and it's just so boring, a couple of my android homies have the prime and the stuff they do with that tablet, puts the ROMS on my Epic 4G touch to shame.

Comment

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post
      That was the Asus Prime, to me it's a better overall tablet than the ipad. I have the Ipad and it's just so boring, a couple of my android homies have the prime and the stuff they do with that tablet, puts the ROMS on my Epic 4G touch to shame.
      Like what? What do they do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post
        I just bought my cousin in ukraine the Asus prime and Had to download certain programs in the US that are blocked in Ukraine like Google Earth and I've got to say it is the best tablet I've ever used

Comment

Hmmm Asus a good company?

The main thing about Apple is that they release bit by bit. First generation to the next always adds bit by bit, when they have the technology and money to add more, but no lets make the 3G, 3GS! 4, 4S! etc...

People are tired of that. I will wait and see what you guys get and hope for reviews on here, then I will go for something.

Comment

Originally posted by AndNewChampion View Post
            Hmmm Asus a good company?

The main thing about Apple is that they release bit by bit. First generation to the next always adds bit by bit, when they have the technology and money to add more, but no lets make the 3G, 3GS! 4, 4S! etc...

People are tired of that. I will wait and see what you guys get and hope for reviews on here, then I will go for something.
            That's the thing people are not tired of it!! Most will sell their previous version and get the newest one jus because it's a different color or .001 cm thinner

That's why they release bit by bit, it works!

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
              That's the thing people are not tired of it!! Most will sell their previous version and get the newest one jus because it's a different color or .001 cm thinner

That's why they release bit by bit, it works!
              No, they are tired of it.. but they still buy it.

Comment

Microsoft’s Surface tablet destined to be as successful as the Zune
                Tuesday, June 19, 2012 · 2:31 pm · 5 Comments

“Microsoft announced ambitious plans on Monday to produce a tablet computer, competing for the fast-growing segment alongside the likes of Apple’s iPad,” Daniel Ferry writes for The Motley Fool. “Surface comes with a keyboard built into its cover, a magnesium case, and two available versions — a basic Surface running WindowsRT with processors from ARM Holdings and a Surface Pro model running Windows 8 with processors from Intel. CEO Steve Ballmer called the device ‘a tool to surface your passions and creativity,’ reflecting both his optimism and his limited understanding of how to use ‘surface’ as a verb.”

“Remember the Zune? No? Fair enough,” Ferry writes. “When it was released in 2006, it was thought that Microsoft could design a digital music player that would challenge the supremacy of the iPod. Zune was discontinued in 2011 after five years of abysmal sales. Not to be dissuaded, Microsoft fired a shot across the bows of the iPhone by releasing their proprietary KIN phone, aimed at capitalizing on social networking. After spending several years and $1 billion on developing the KIN, the phones were pulled from shelves within months, and retailers returned droves of unsold phones back to Microsoft.”

Ferry writes, “Under CEO Steve Ballmer, Microsoft has strayed from its core competencies with unfortunate results multiple times. I am inclined to think that the Surface is no different, and is destined to be as successful as the Zune.”

Read more in the full article here.

Comment

Surface: Why Microsoft’s big mystery turns out to be a big mistake
                  Tuesday, June 19, 2012 · 10:42 am

“Following several days of hype after journalists from around the world were invited to a mysterious ‘major Microsoft announcement’ that they were promised, ‘you will not want to miss,’ Microsoft unveils a… tablet,” Adrian Kingsley-Hughes writes for ZDNet. “Oh Microsoft, what were you thinking?”
                  “They’re just tablets. They’re shaped like tablets and have stuff inside them that we’ve come to expect tablets to have,” Kingsley-Hughes writes. “There’s no word on price beyond a statement from Microsoft saying that they are ‘expected to be competitive with a comparable ARM tablet or Intel ultrabook-class PC.’ This puts the ARM version in the $600 price bracket and the x86 in at around $1,000 — give or take. Throw away the kickstand, the keyboard and the trackpad and they’re like every other ARM tablet or Intel Ultrabook-class PC we’ve seen so far.”

Kingsley-Hughes writes, “Then there’s the mistake of releasing two near-identical tablets powered by two different operating systems and with two very different set of capabilities. Which one should buyers — consumers and enterprise alike — go for? For the uninformed, price might be the deciding factor, and that could lead them to buy something completely inappropriate for their needs. But if you’re trying to make an informed decision then it’s tough to know which to go for. And at this stage, that decision is made even harder by the information vacuum surrounding these two devices, especially regarding battery life, and more crucially: price… When I do my usual end of year ‘tech flops’ roundup, I fully expect Microsoft Surface tablets to make their way onto the list.”

Read more in the full article here.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
                    No, they are tired of it.. but they still buy it.
                    How tired can you be if your still buy it?

Not sure why they still buy it. I bought the iPhone 4 right when it came out and still have it in great condition and it still runs like new. It's been 2 years and the only thing that's been added is Siri which nobody uses

Comment

Microsoft’s Suicide, er… ‘Surface’
                      Tuesday, June 19, 2012 · 9:41 am

By SteveJack
                      Microsoft’s Suicide.

Either Microsoft is not serious about competing with their would-be OEMs and is simply using these Surface tablets (see: Microsoft previews own ‘Surface’ tablet) as aspirational designs (smirk) for the PC assemblers of the world to attempt to emulate or they just drove beleaguered HP, beleaguered Dell, and the rest of the desperate, low-margin PC assemblers straight to Android (which isn’t exactly killing iPad).

Microsoft’s problem is exemplified that Windows 8 Pro/Intel thick, fan-laden slab. It’s a “tablet” that desperately wants to be a laptop, so that Microsoft can continue to ride their Mac-ripoff Windows gravy train a boot longer. They’re hopelessly hooked on Windows and Office revenue streams. A “tablet” with an identity crisis is not the future, that is Microsoft’s desperate, hence weak, attempt to cling to the past. They just can’t let go. When they need to reinvent themselves, they simply can’t bring themselves to do it. This is what happens when you put the sales guy in charge.

Steve Jobs: Apple had a monopoly on the graphical user interface for almost 10 years. That’s a long time. And how are monopolies lost? Think about it. Some very good product people invent some very good products, and the company achieves a monopoly. But after that, the product people aren’t the ones that drive the company forward anymore. It’s the marketing guys or the ones who expand the business into Latin America or whatever. Because what’s the point of focusing on making the product even better when the only company you can take business from is yourself? So a different group of people start to move up. And who usually ends up running the show? The sales guy… Then one day, the monopoly expires for whatever reason. But by then the best product people have left, or they’re no longer listened to. And so the company goes through this tumultuous time, and it either survives or it doesn’t.

BusinessWeek: Is this common in the industry?
                      Steve Jobs: Look at Microsoft — who’s running Microsoft?

BusinessWeek: Steve Ballmer.
                      Steve Jobs: Right, the sales guy. Case closed.

(Excerpts from a BusinessWeek interview with Steve Jobs, October 12, 2004)

Microsoft’s “Surface” is the type of thinking that kills companies (see Kodak, for just one example). If Microsoft were really sure of themselves in Jobsian fashion, they would have devoted all of their efforts to Windows RT/ARM tablets. (Ever notice how when Apple holds a special media event, they have rock solid specs, pricing, availability dates; the works?) But, Microsoft are not confident in their direction, so they’re wandering all over the map; clinging tightly to their “partner” Intel while dipping a toe in ARM’s water. Microsoft are throwing a bunch of vapor, sorry “VaporMg,” at the wall to see what sticks and, by doing so, they risk knocking off everything, including, and especially for their bottom line, Office. The more iPads in workers hands – and the vast majority of Fortune 500 enterprises are piloting or already deploying iPads – that do not have Office, the quicker Microsoft’s bloated office suite monopoly dies.

Microsoft’s bifurcated, ill-defined Surface “tablet” will only serve to introduce more confusion into the marketplace and that is a very good thing for Apple. The more confusion, the better it is for Apple’s iPad. iPad will continue to offer the only known quantity in the market, the only true “tablet” with any real developer support, and the only one with a massive and vibrant ecosystem (both hardware and software).

Apple’s iPad is the only tablet into which any sane person or business would ever invest their hard-earned money. If your company ever buys Microsoft Surface tablets – either of them, but especially Windows 8 Pro/Intel ones – get your resume ready. You’re stuck at a place that’s prone to making horrendous decisions and is hopelessly mired in the past.

As if they needed it, Microsoft’s “Surface” debacle is even more good news for Apple.

SteveJack is a pen name used by a long-time Macintosh user, web designer, multimedia producer and, when he feels like it, a contributor to both MacDailyNews Takes and the Opinion section.

http://macdailynews.com/2012/06/19/m...de-er-surface/

Comment

Working...
                      X