Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Investments in the US really suck now. It may come crashing down soon.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 15round View Post

That 5% is the idea to just break even until the economy gets better. Stocks have not priced in a recession or even a slowdown which is why the big money is holding out for better valuations. This is not a period of wealth building, rather a period of wealth preservation.
    If you sat 2023 out, you lost out on a great opportunity to win some of your 2022 losses back.

Don't foolishly think you can predict the market when policymakers are so unpredictable.
    15round 15round likes this.

Comment

A few years ago real estate was reasonable and interest rates were low. Now interest rates are much higher and so are real estate prices.

Stock prices are high with too much risk. You can find 5% money market rates on any street corner. Why be in stocks?

Yet my fellow Americans continue to buy these.

I am holding out though. I believe reversion to the mean will prevail.
      If you study a bit... you can learn to short stocks. Start with the S&P500... make money on the downslide.
      15round 15round likes this.

Comment

A few years ago real estate was reasonable and interest rates were low. Now interest rates are much higher and so are real estate prices.

Stock prices are high with too much risk. You can find 5% money market rates on any street corner. Why be in stocks?

Yet my fellow Americans continue to buy these.

I am holding out though. I believe reversion to the mean will prevail.
        You can still do real estate, you just need real money to do so. No more of this 5-10% down get a real ROI. You need to put like 50% down in today's market

Comment

Originally posted by kara View Post

You can still do real estate, you just need real money to do so. No more of this 5-10% down get a real ROI. You need to put like 50% down in today's market
          That is a lot of cash to tie up. I am okay with that at lower prices but not with the price tags I see. I like getting 5.35% from 30 day T-bills and waiting things out.

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post

If you sat 2023 out, you lost out on a great opportunity to win some of your 2022 losses back.

Don't foolishly think you can predict the market when policymakers are so unpredictable.
            It is all just paper gains and losses until you take the money out.

I think policymakers are going to first control inflation and that will likely result in a slowdown and earnings get downgraded. Of course maybe they let it get out of control and who knows how that ends.

Comment

That is a lot of cash to tie up. I am okay with that at lower prices but not with the price tags I see. I like getting 5.35% from 30 day T-bills and waiting things out.
              I own 10 free and clear. The equity rise of the years has been crazy, rent has practically doubled too.

Comment

That is a lot of risk in real estate. At these prices would you buy a home for 100% cash?

Comment

That is a lot of risk in real estate. At these prices would you buy a home for 100% cash?
                  Depends on the price and the ROI. For some, like me, its parking your money instead of parking in a bank, but what bank will give me back 1500-2000 a month in interest

Comment

Originally posted by kara View Post

Depends on the price and the ROI. For some, like me, its parking your money instead of parking in a bank, but what bank will give me back 1500-2000 a month in interest
                    For now you can get over 5% in 30 day US T-bills. If prices of alternative investments decrease it is easy to move money. If those prices don't decrease the 5% may not be good if held too long.

Comment

For now you can get over 5% in 30 day US T-bills. If prices of alternative investments decrease it is easy to move money. If those prices don't decrease the 5% may not be good if held too long.
                      I might have to look into that.

Comment

Working...
                      X