No announcement yet.

Scotch or whiskey?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Nah. They can be similar in many respects, but I'd say they're more like cousins than twins or exact replicas of one another.
    its literally called scotch whisky lmao
    VegasMichael VegasMichael likes this.

Comment

I prefer scotch. By a wide margin probably. But to each their own. I just recently was recommended (very highly) to try Lagavulin 16', and yeah, I was impressed. The bottle was over 100 bucks and I'd buy it again. A bottle lasts me a while though. When I buy a quality bottle of something, I savor it as opposed to getting hammered off it. I'll just have a small sipping glass of it a couple of times a month while I'm drinking other stuff.

Does the lounge prefer bourbon/whiskey or scotch? Or neither?
      Bourbon is #1
      CornerCutman CornerCutman likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Split Decision View Post

its literally called scotch whisky lmao
        I know lol but I swear, they are not exactly the same. They're similar but different.
        Last edited by Mike D; 10-15-2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

In order to be termed Scotch it must be made in Scotland. It can also be called Scotch Whisky but not Whiskey(with an e).

I much prefer Scotch whisky to whiskies. Laphroaig is great. Nice smoky flavor. Great with smoked almonds, cheese or salmon.
          Mike D Mike D likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMyspaceDayz View Post

You had me with rum and lost me big time at well done steak. WTF dude.

And whiskey over scotch big time. Not even a contest.
            Well done or feed it to lower-level animals. Civilized folks properly cook their food.

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post

Well done or feed it to lower-level animals. Civilized folks properly cook their food.
              Civilized little girls eat their steak well done during their tea parties.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
                In order to be termed Scotch it must be made in Scotland. It can also be called Scotch Whisky but not Whiskey(with an e).

I much prefer Scotch whisky to whiskies. Laphroaig is great. Nice smoky flavor. Great with smoked almonds, cheese or salmon.
                The first part of your statement may be the single most intelligent fact I've learned on this site since I've been here.

But then you added the second bit and now it doesn't really matter. Because I've realised you're a knob.
                Last edited by Rockybigblower; 10-15-2021, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Drambuie, sipped...................Rockin'

Comment

Nah. They can be similar in many respects, but I'd say they're more like cousins than twins or exact replicas of one another.
                    Delve into some of the differences here, more to do with local conditions (and legislation) and the grain types used (Americans lean heavy on corn, Canadians on rye and Scots on barley), local water, and traditions and the different casks used in aging.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...nical-file.pdf

There are traditional distinctions between the way Scotch Whisky is produced
                    compared to other whiskies. Different types and shapes of stills are used, which affect the organoleptic characteristics of the spirit. For example, most North American
                    whiskies are distilled using a column still process, whereas Scotch Whisky is distilled
                    using both column and pot stills. Also, while malt Scotch Whisky is usually distilled
                    twice, Irish pot still whiskeys are usually distilled three times. Tennessee and Bourbon
                    whiskeys from America are sometimes referred to as “sour mash” indicating that the
                    mash has been acidified to take account of local water conditions. Furthermore,
                    Tennessee whiskey is leached through sugar maple charcoal before it is matured.
                    Whereas Bourbon and Tennessee whiskeys from America must by law be matured in
                    charred new oak casks, which gives them a strong sweet vanilla character, Scotch
                    Whisky is usually matured in oak casks which have previously been used for other
                    spirits or wines, so that the flavour of the wood does not overpower the whisky. In
                    other countries the new spirit is frequently filled into cask for maturation at a different
                    strength to that used for Scottish newly distilled spirit.

https://food.ndtv.com/food-drinks/am...erence-1465627

Comment

Oh yeah. By preference - although I really ain't much of a drinker these days - it'd be Scotch for enjoying at home, American whiskeys for going out on the lash. Used to get through a lot of Jack as a youngster.

Comment

Working...
                      X