This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
    Apart from Cesar Azpilicueta have Chelsea signed a potential first team player that nobody else wanted for about a decade?

It is the modern age - with an abundance of stats and football available - not to mention actual statisticians and economists working at major clubs. If nobody else wants these players it usually means they aren't that good. All the top clubs go in for the same players.

London usually wins out over the North West and if Man U went head to head with Chelsea for any player we'd have an advantage.

I remember when Hazard signed for Chelsea people actually said we stole him from Arsenal who as far as I know never put a bid in for him - the same with Juan Mata who Arsenal didn't think was worth more than £17 million.

Football has always been like that though. Both Dennis Bergkamp and Robert Pires were big targets for Chelsea. They choose Arsenal because they were obviously the better side then.

Chelsea and other big clubs scout these players for ages. Chelsea were looking at Willian for 3 seasons before we got him and we ended up stealing him from Spurs.

All the major clubs will probably have been scouting Cuadrado for at least 18 months if not longer. I have never seen him play much but he is a known quantity.
    Hazard never considered Arsenal though. It was Spurs and Chelsea really and once the CL was won, he made up his mind.

I take Arsenal fans with a grain of salt though, cause Wenger for the past 2 decades literally scouted EVERY major player and signed zero of them when they would cost a box of jaffa cakes.

Cuadrado is good though. I don't think he will make a huge difference but if you want a hard working wingback, he's that. That lichsteiner type.

Comment

• Eden Hazard said when he was a kid that it was his dream to play for Arsenal. He'd probably never even heard of Chelsea.

Roman Abramovich's transfer policy is to throw money at whoever Wenger is interested in.

Comment

• Originally posted by vorgaphe View Post
        Mourinho just buying Cuadrado to prevent United from getting him?
        Yeah that's what United need. A wide man.

Comment

• Chelsea appealing Costa ban and cancelling press conference.

It will be interesting to see what Chelsea do when Clattenburg wins the game for City on Saturday.

Chelsea must be the only team where a ref can racially abuse one of our players and still take charge of our games.

The us and them mentality is reaching fever pitch though. Clattenburg will probably leave Stamford Bridge in a box.

Comment

Chelsea appealing Costa ban and cancelling press conference.

It will be interesting to see what Chelsea do when Clattenburg wins the game for City on Saturday.

Chelsea must be the only team where a ref can racially abuse one of our players and still take charge of our games.

The us and them mentality is reaching fever pitch though. Clattenburg will probably leave Stamford Bridge in a box.
            Nah, give em a Chelsea smile.

Comment

• Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
              Nah, give em a Chelsea smile.
              He should phone in sick.

Comment

Oscar and Willian are replaceable if Chelsea can get better players than them. But maybe we can't. They are both very good players.
                Is it not true that any footballer is replaceable if a team can find a better replacement?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adamjr91 View Post
                  Is it not true that any footballer is replaceable if a team can find a better replacement?
                  To an extent.

But leadership is a big thing. Terry can't be replaced at Chelsea. Gerrard can't be replaced at Liverpool.

Your boys have suffered more than most from a lack of natural leaders.

Consistency is another big thing. Willian is a 7 out of 10 man every game. He can be relied on. A more mercurial talent is a risk.

I don't really know anything about Cuadrado but I know he isn't as good as Marko Reus or Gareth Bale just by looking at stats and they are two players who definitely displace Willian and make us a better team.

With Oscar I think he runs out of puff in a long season but he compares favourably with his peers. He isn't as good yet as David Silva but are that many no10's playing better than him. But there is an inconsistency about him that makes him replaceable.

Comment

• Why is Chelsea's stadium so small and run down though?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adamjr91 View Post
                      Not when you're Arsenal.

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
                      To an extent.

But leadership is a big thing. Terry can't be replaced at Chelsea. Gerrard can't be replaced at Liverpool.

Your boys have suffered more than most from a lack of natural leaders.

Consistency is another big thing. Willian is a 7 out of 10 man every game. He can be relied on. A more mercurial talent is a risk.

I don't really know anything about Cuadrado but I know he isn't as good as Marko Reus or Gareth Bale just by looking at stats and they are two players who definitely displace Willian and make us a better team.

With Oscar I think he runs out of puff in a long season but he compares favourably with his peers. He isn't as good yet as David Silva but are that many no10's playing better than him. But there is an inconsistency about him that makes him replaceable.

Cuadrado to me is a rotation player. When a player needs a break, stick him in and he'll be good enough to not lower the total quality of the team drastically.

Other than that, we'd probably find better players. Same with Oscar. I actually like the guy the most on the current squad but if we could get Reus for him. He's easily expendable.

Hazard could pick up the 10 spot easy and Reus the left wing.

Comment

Working...
                      X