Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sparring bigger guys, whats the most weight you give up?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring bigger guys, whats the most weight you give up?

Genenerally if sparring a guy with about the same amount of experience, where do you draw the line at size difference?

5lbs? 10lbs?? 15lbs???

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
    Genenerally if sparring a guy with about the same amount of experience, where do you draw the line at size difference?

5lbs? 10lbs?? 15lbs???
    well weight is one thing but if its effective functional weight thats another. The other factor is skill.

If hes 250 lbs, shorter, fat and not very good ill gladly give up 100 lbs.

if hes 175 6 ft 3, lean ripped and experienced then **** that

Comment

5lbs? 10lbs?? 15lbs???

in real life, bantamweights spar heavyweight... happens all the time

it's just sparring

don't confuse my comments with backyard/street sparring... I am referring to genuine, quality, boxing gyms

happens all the time

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        well weight is one thing but if its effective functional weight thats another. The other factor is skill.

If hes 250 lbs, shorter, fat and not very good ill gladly give up 100 lbs.

if hes 175 6 ft 3, lean ripped and experienced then **** that

this ^^

good post

this thread will turn funny when the mathematician fans come out in force

more serious fight preparation is unlikely to exceed 20 lbs, top-level sparring will happen between fairly evenly match opponents

Comment

um idk, I'm a light heavy 80kg and i spar a guy who use to be 112kg, he slimmed down to 102 still cutting. But he's a lot newer then i am, and has no chin or power so idk if it counts.

so like 30kg

edit: grammar and spelling

Comment

5lbs? 10lbs?? 15lbs???
            When I sparred, a long time ago the question was often reversed since I has about 25-30 pounds north of 200. I can tell you some of those guys can hit like a truck, and really don't want any hard sparring vs another hard hitter.

The fat heavies mostly sucked. No speed or stamina to them. The very large ones are usually too slow. A large heavy with skills, speed and power...no thanks. Those guys were rare and your going to need bottle of aspirin plus look like you were mugged at work.

Eventually the trainer wanted me to ***t or get off the pot. I wasn't going pro, so I was eventually ignored from his watchful eye even though he said I had nice speed and power, which was true. Any heavyweight with some talent, trainers go ga-ga. No it's not really fair, its just the way it is.

I was open to 190, 175, and even 160 with limited power being used for sparring. Some of the lower weights are really skilled and quick, if they can get close enough to you. Most didn't. Still you can learn from them. Defense, counter punching, combinations, you name it.

I used to let a welter hold the heavy bag, and knock him clean off the bag for fun, but he knew what I was doing and tried to hold on best he could.

Last time I was in a gym the international people were taking over. Our kids may have had more talent, but their work ethic was fierce, and they were not afraid to take a punch. RIP USA boxing, the garbage bins were full of used mouth pieces. Unless your excellent boxing is really not a good sport. But as a young adult, I wanted to give it a try.
            Last edited by Dr. Z; 01-31-2021, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Around 100lbs. They were so slow it was actually dangerous but easy work. Smart, skillful speed pays dividends against the bigger guys........Rockin'

Comment

The last boxing gym i was at sparring partners were usually picked on similar ability level not weight.

Probably a safer way to do it IMO. You could put a good LW in with a **** HW and he could potentially fuk him up.

Comment

20-pounds at most for me.

Comment

5lbs? 10lbs?? 15lbs???
                    I've given up 100 pounds before. Doesn't matter.

Comment

Working...
                    X