No announcement yet.

Chollo doing bag work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
    How so? He's working on power, good technique, sitting down on his punches, not letting the bag hit him, working the bag instead of letting the bag work him.

If arguably the greatest heavyweight of all times bag work is bad then you probably need to rethink what is good.

All Foreman did was stand in one spot while his trainer held the bag. No movement of any sort other than his punches. Is that bad bag work?

The bag is a tool. There are many ways to use the tool. To dismiss the bag work of all time greats because it doesn't fit your idea of good bag work is very close minded and preposterous.
    Come on. He's winding up on his punches and not protecting his face, for starters. Extremely basic footwork too...Not as problematic as the other things but damn sure nothing to emulate. Maybe Louis is using the bag as a tool for specific purposes but there are some obvious flaws that would lead to bad habits for a less experienced fighter. Definitely not a great exemplar of quality heavy-bag work.

IMO, Foreman mainly excelled because of his extraordinary physical talent, despite a number of technical and other weaknesses. For all we know, his approach to bag work could have contributed to some of the bad habits and techniques that led to some of his losses. Might have been a big missed opportunity... I doubt any decent trainer would hold up Foreman's technique on the bag as an example to others.

Comment

• Originally posted by young_rascal View Post
      Come on. He's winding up on his punches and not protecting his face, for starters.
      That's how you get more power on your shots and increase maximum one punch power. It's not pretty but it's effective. There's nothing coming back at him either. He's not really winding up his punches. That's just how he threw them because it increases power. Watch film of his overhand right, he "winds it up" every time creating tension which led to more power. It was probably the most effective overhand right in the history of the sport.

Not protecting his face? For one there's a lot more hand positions in boxing than two fists in front of your face. The standard textbook guard. Also, like I said, Louis is working on power here. If you watch Foreman he doesn't worry about protecting his face when working the bag. That's just one example.

Originally posted by young_rascal View Post
      Extremely basic footwork too...Not as problematic as the other things but damn sure nothing to emulate. Maybe Louis is using the bag as a tool for specific purposes but there are some obvious flaws that would lead to bad habits for a less experienced fighter. Definitely not a great exemplar of quality heavy-bag work.
      His footwork looks fine to me. All correct positioning as far as balance goes. On top of that it's 17 seconds of bag work. We have no idea what else he did but doing all of this constant pivoting that's instilled in modern fighters to do on bag work wasn't his style. Bad way to use the tool.

Anyone who would do bag work for long enough to create bad habits is using the bag improperly. For too long. Shadowboxing and sparring should make up so much training time that you can't develop the bad habits that Louis doing on the bag.

Originally posted by young_rascal View Post
      IMO, Foreman mainly excelled because of his extraordinary physical talent, despite a number of technical and other weaknesses. For all we know, his approach to bag work could have contributed to some of the bad habits and techniques that led to some of his losses. Might have been a big missed opportunity... I doubt any decent trainer would hold up Foreman's technique on the bag as an example to others.
      Foreman had a terrific jab and new when to commit to a punch. Probably the best heavyweight ever in that respect. He'd soften his opponents up with light punches then bang 'em with a heavy shot.

He lossed because he didn't pace himself properly. He'd punch himself out in the first half of the fight and be out of gas in the second half. He wasn't so big oaf that just hit hard. He never had a problem with keeping his hands too low which is really the only problem that could have arisen from his bag work.

How about Jack Dempsey's technique on the bag? Is he wrong? https://youtu.be/eoSEEXIe6Gg?t=40

What about Carlos Monzon for a non heavyweight example?His hands are "low" not protecting his face and his footwork seems exceptionally basic here.
      https://youtu.be/3LO4S4ktmPI?t=394

Here's B-Hop talking about the heavy bag. "The heavy bag is only for power, its not for speed, the heavy bag don't hit back, it has no arms.". He also talks about it being a chance to sit down and dig in on your punches. Should also be noted that in any bag work video or montage I've seen of Hopkins he's never doing the elaborate pivoting and footwork that he does in shadow boxing. Always basic movement staying in essentially the same spot.

Anyway, to reiterate, there's more than one way to skin the cat. The heavy bag is just a tool for power. That's about it. The results are more of an indicator of the tools effectiveness rather than the actual act of using said tool.

Comment

quack quack you're a duck man.

Hit me up with a reply when you grow a pair.
        Lol, bring it little man. What are you going to do? Post a grainy out of focus picture of you with bad lighting so nobody can see anything? Or maybe you'll zoom in so much nothing is distinguishable like your last picture.

Comment

• Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
          Lol, bring it little man. What are you going to do? Post a grainy out of focus picture of you with bad lighting so nobody can see anything? Or maybe you'll zoom in so much nothing is distinguishable like your last picture.
          Excuses excuses and looking for exists. Typical behavior of Sid. Hope pixar's treating you well. You gonna agree to the deal or are you gonna ghost from the forum for a week again then come back with some lame response?

Comment

Excuses excuses and looking for exists. Typical behavior of Sid. Hope pixar's treating you well. You gonna agree to the deal or are you gonna ghost from the forum for a week again then come back with some lame response?
            I'm a bit lost on what happened here?

Comment

• Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
              I'm a bit lost on what happened here?
              I have no clue, a few months ago he had a problem with me because I said you can get stronger without gaining weight. He ended up wanting to fight me now we're here.
              Last edited by Mr.MojoRisin'; 03-06-2018, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I have no clue, a few months ago he had a problem with me because I said you can get stronger without gaining weight. He ended up wanting to fight me now we're here.
                Are you two even close enough to fight?

I don't even bother calling someone out to a fight over the net. I might as well be calling out someone from Mars to come down.

Comment

• Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  Are you two even close enough to fight?

I don't even bother calling someone out to a fight over the net. I might as well be calling out someone from Mars to come down.
                  I think he said he's on the opposite side of the US from me after I told him where I was at.

He's just one of the many mentally disturbed posters on here. I frankly find his incessant need to follow my posts and argue with me pretty annoying as do the readers too. I mean, any thread he replies to me on gets tanked

Comment

• My endgame has me becoming a promoter. May as well start learning how to be a promoter.
                    So, each man would get 300 dollars for the fight, that is to include all expenses. I could put each one of you up at a Motel 6, at no extra cost to the fighter. KO Bonus is 200.00, Boxingscene.com tickets to the bout would be 50.00 per person. I know that's expensive, but we have some high rollers here that will say fk it and fund it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishDiscussion View Post
                      My endgame has me becoming a promoter. May as well start learning how to be a promoter.
                      So, each man would get 300 dollars for the fight, that is to include all expenses. I could put each one of you up at a Motel 6, at no extra cost to the fighter. KO Bonus is 200.00, Boxingscene.com tickets to the bout would be 50.00 per person. I know that's expensive, but we have some high rollers here that will say fk it and fund it.
                      Deal. I need some dough anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X