Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How tough and adjustable is sparring in professional boxing training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try darts, there's terrific eye hand in that sport plus you can hold a book in your non shooting hand and read up on the techniques.
    Is badminton a sport? I don't know one person who plays badminton but if your great at it go for it! You'll never be great at boxing so badminton sounds like the game for you.
    I like darts!

Comment

You sound a like a straight up bitch. There I said what everyone is thinking.

Go to a gym and boxercise you're not built to by a fighter because every fighter has heart and they understand that part of boxing will be getting hurt. I will post my upcoming amateur fight this weekend or on monday so you can see that even at early stage of the amateurs, we take competition seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        You face a problem here.

First off, you can (and should) start with technical sparring as a beginner in boxing. I start my kids out with defending different punches and combo's to get them used to what they need to do. It's the best way to learn muscle memory of what you need to do, practice on your technique and actually "learn" the sport of boxing.

The problem you face is that going at that pace, you will not be a good boxer. So in essence, it will be for nothing but show to be honest. Sooner or later to be a good boxer, you need to go full speed. Because in real life, and in the ring, your opponent will be going full speed.

What I liked so much about boxing over the other combat sports or martial arts, was that it forced you to use what you learned in the ring. There is no such thing as a Kata in boxing, so there's no "exhibition". You either fight or you don't.

Going over the technical aspect of it is the first step, but in the long run it won't teach you to be a good boxer if that's what you are looking for.
        Not exactly true. Shadow boxing kinda serves as the kata. Most people have no idea what the purpose of kata is. They think that the kata is how the karate person will actually fight. The actual purpose of Kata is to practice on their form, it is not intended to simulate fighting.

The main difference, between shadow boxing and kata is that shadow boxing is kind of like a freestyle whereas Kata follows an exact program and it's not suppose to simulate a fight. Outside simulating a fight, isn't shadow boxing also to help with proper form?

Comment

Depends on the gym and the guys you are sparring with. Some guys are just not able to be friendly in sparring and will hit you with all they have, but most guys are able to tone it down and spar technically without trying to take your head off.

For example i am a heavyweight, and i frenquently spar with guys 60-100 lbs lighter than me and i have never hurt any of them seriously because i'm always relaxed in the ring and know how to hold back.

However you're still going to get hit, and you will get hurt sooner or later, even in sparring. No other sport will get you prepared for boxing, being an athlete is good and all but doesn't mean you will be a good boxer.

Start by joining a gym, then you will know. Because like the great Mike Tyson said: Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.

Comment

T
            Originally posted by King of Sting View Post
            Not exactly true. Shadow boxing kinda serves as the kata. Most people have no idea what the purpose of kata is. They think that the kata is how the karate person will actually fight. The actual purpose of Kata is to practice on their form, it is not intended to simulate fighting.

The main difference, between shadow boxing and kata is that shadow boxing is kind of like a freestyle whereas Kata follows an exact program and it's not suppose to simulate a fight. Outside simulating a fight, isn't shadow boxing also to help with proper form?
            That's right. And the form/ stance in which a karate technique is executed is really the only differentiation between the different older styles in karate. The actual moves are pretty much the same. Boxing does have a great advantage over karate trainers, in it's full contact sparring.

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
            Depends on the gym and the guys you are sparring with. Some guys are just not able to be friendly in sparring and will hit you with all they have, but most guys are able to tone it down and spar technically without trying to take your head off.

For example i am a heavyweight, and i frenquently spar with guys 60-100 lbs lighter than me and i have never hurt any of them seriously because i'm always relaxed in the ring and know how to hold back.

However you're still going to get hit, and you will get hurt sooner or later, even in sparring. No other sport will get you prepared for boxing, being an athlete is good and all but doesn't mean you will be a good boxer.

Start by joining a gym, then you will know. Because like the great Mike Tyson said: Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
            I can also make it a challenge for myself to simply avoid being hit, using my footwork. Remember, foreman landed only a single punch to the head in like 3 rounds opposite Ali....Most were useless punches, while alis punches connected to the head. Foremans performance in that famous match was weak.

The reason I stress full contact is because it's hard to motivate this punishment, if I only want to learn the boxing and not compete. Just as other martial-arts are taught without full contact. I would be fine with it, if my life goal was ring- boxing. But it's not.
            Last edited by Pleonism; 08-07-2014, 10:38 PM.

Comment

How can kickboxers be concidered significantly worse punchers than boxers, if kickboxing punches are straight from western boxing?

If I want to learn punches, isn't kickboxing only better then, since it incorporates kicks as well? What do I lose from kickboxing training? Is it just a matter of emphasis, or are western boxers better punchers anyway?

For instance, Jerome Le Banner looked like a boxer too me in a very short match were he only used his fists. I had no idea his background was kickboxing. I couldn't differentiate his boxing from that of a boxer.
              Last edited by Pleonism; 08-07-2014, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pleonism View Post
                How can kickboxers be concidered significantly worse punchers than boxers, if kickboxing punches are straight from western boxing?

If I want to learn punches, isn't kickboxing only better then, since it incorporates kicks as well? What do I lose from kickboxing training? Is it just a matter of emphasis, or are western boxers better punchers anyway?

For instance, Jerome Le Banner looked like a boxer too me in a very short match were he only used his fists. I had no idea his background was kickboxing. I couldn't differentiate his boxing from that of a boxer.
                It seems like you don't know what you want to do. My suggestion is if you want to learn boxing join a boxing gym and if you want to learn kickboxing well join a kickboxing gym. Just stop by any fight gym, I mean it's highly unlikely you're going to start sparring anytime soon. Sparring should not even be a concern right now, just focus on joining a gym and begin by learning technique, absorbing the atmosphere and such. Don't listen to these guys with their negative comments, your questions and concerns are perfectly normal, just know every fighter had to start somewhere.
                Last edited by _original_; 08-08-2014, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pleonism View Post

No kickboxing and boxers are very different, stance and everything. Kickboxers are more upright and rigid, I guess this is to a better way to defend kicks etc.

Boxing VS Muay Thai

So like another poster stated, you need to decide what you want to do, tbh you actually just need to try it, postulating like this you won't learn a thing. And getting punched in the head with big gloves and a headguard isnt so bad, little kids can take it so just man up.

Comment

Muay thai is a separate form of kickboxing, though. Their punching techniques are much weaker than "american style" kickboxing, which is the one I couldn't differentiate from western boxers in their actual punches, stances non withstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by King of Sting View Post

Well yes, you are correct in this. I guess I should have been more clear in stating that in boxing, there isn't a comparison in the artistic impression that kata is also.

While you are correct in that it does practice technical aspects of fighting, kata is also undoubtedly a performance. It's a very detailed and choreographed "dance" that shows technicality and motion.

Shadow boxing can be used for some of the same reasons, like what you described as practicing form, but it's not something that is detailed and scripted.

You are right though, I should have been more clear.

Comment

Working...
                      X