No announcement yet.

Heavybag Combinations/Drills

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside/Outside Drills.

2-3 Minute Outside Round - Lots of jabs. Moving around the bag. Keeping the bag at arms length. Turning on the bag etc.

2-3 Minute Inside Round - Get close to the bag. Keep your head either to the left or right of the center of the bag (symbolizing your opponents head), stay low, keep chin tucked, rip shots to body and head, change angle

Repeat.

Pushing the Bag Out - Push the bag out with your jab hand until the bag until the bag swings up and wants to swing back towards you. Start throwing 1,2s hard and fast for 1-2 minutes straight. The heavy the bag, the better. Your shoulders will catch fire quick.

Comment

Heavy Bag Workout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FZkEgqzn2os

This heavy bag routine is meant for non-sparring days, where Jason recommends to do 10 rounds on the heavy bag. On sparring days, you use bagwork to supplement your sparring so that you still get 10 rounds of hard work. (For example: if you sparred 6 rounds, do 4 on the bag.)

The standard round time in boxing is for 3-minute rounds with 1-minute rest in between!

ROUND 1 – Warm Up

Start with the jab, bend your legs, and get your hands and feet warmed up. Start gauging timing and distance, move your head before you jab, move your head after you jab, work on your angles, and setting up other shots in later rounds.

ROUND 2 – Southpaw

Hit the bag from a southpaw stance (or orthodox if you’re already southpaw) to balance out your body. You’ll be working different shots and angles. And you never know when you’ll need this strategy in a fight.

ROUND 3 – Head movement

Emphasis on head movement for this round. Work on slipping, ducking, snapbacks, moving head before & after you punch. Move your head, snap your punches, slip, and move again. Keep moving your head.

ROUNDS 4, 5, 6 – Fight pace

Work at 100% full-on fight pace. Throw fast combos, flurries of combos, keep moving your head, keep creating angles, keep your footwork active, move exactly how you move during a fight. Keep the pace high and the pressure on.

ROUND 7 – Tricky

Start getting cagey and slick. Stay on the outside, lots of feints. Start picking your shots, don’t be in a rush to throw. Lots of in and out movement. Move in with a few shots and get back out again. Be cagey and cautious.

ROUND 8 – Speed & Volume

Lots of hand speed and high punch volume. Focus on short and quick punches. Work on getting the speed and fluidity in your hands. Don’t worry about any technique in particular. Let the mind go free and let the hands go.

ROUND 9 – Power shots

Pure power shots. Bend your knees and turn the hips and shoulders on every punch. Put everything into these shots, bad intentions on these shots. Go for the knockout.

ROUND 10 – Inside fighting

You should be tired and with spent legs. Get inside and make it ugly. Get close to the bag, slipping and dipping, move your head, work the body, work the head. Keep turning your opponent, creating angles, and staying busy.

Comment

Originally posted by herikbeheran View Post
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FZkEgqzn2os

This heavy bag routine is meant for non-sparring days, where Jason recommends to do 10 rounds on the heavy bag. On sparring days, you use bagwork to supplement your sparring so that you still get 10 rounds of hard work. (For example: if you sparred 6 rounds, do 4 on the bag.)

The standard round time in boxing is for 3-minute rounds with 1-minute rest in between!

ROUND 1 – Warm Up

Start with the jab, bend your legs, and get your hands and feet warmed up. Start gauging timing and distance, move your head before you jab, move your head after you jab, work on your angles, and setting up other shots in later rounds.

ROUND 2 – Southpaw

Hit the bag from a southpaw stance (or orthodox if you’re already southpaw) to balance out your body. You’ll be working different shots and angles. And you never know when you’ll need this strategy in a fight.

ROUND 3 – Head movement

Emphasis on head movement for this round. Work on slipping, ducking, snapbacks, moving head before & after you punch. Move your head, snap your punches, slip, and move again. Keep moving your head.

ROUNDS 4, 5, 6 – Fight pace

Work at 100% full-on fight pace. Throw fast combos, flurries of combos, keep moving your head, keep creating angles, keep your footwork active, move exactly how you move during a fight. Keep the pace high and the pressure on.

ROUND 7 – Tricky

Start getting cagey and slick. Stay on the outside, lots of feints. Start picking your shots, don’t be in a rush to throw. Lots of in and out movement. Move in with a few shots and get back out again. Be cagey and cautious.

ROUND 8 – Speed & Volume

Lots of hand speed and high punch volume. Focus on short and quick punches. Work on getting the speed and fluidity in your hands. Don’t worry about any technique in particular. Let the mind go free and let the hands go.

ROUND 9 – Power shots

Pure power shots. Bend your knees and turn the hips and shoulders on every punch. Put everything into these shots, bad intentions on these shots. Go for the knockout.

ROUND 10 – Inside fighting

You should be tired and with spent legs. Get inside and make it ugly. Get close to the bag, slipping and dipping, move your head, work the body, work the head. Keep turning your opponent, creating angles, and staying busy.
        I've posted that video before...it's a great routine.

Comment

Any new routines? I'm getting back into boxing

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
            I try to work out 2-3 times a week and want to develop a sound training routine for the heavybag. I like shadow boxing and hitting the double end bag but my heavybag work sometimes leaves something to be desired i.e. it sucks (not all the time but enough that I need to ask for some suggestions)

I start off good but midway through I find myself getting sloppy with my punches. What I need is some easy to moderate heavybag drills that incorporate movement, slips, weaves with easy combinations. Ideally, I'd like to to master some basic punch combinations with movement and really develop a good technique.

What are some good (basic) skill building heavybag drills?

Thanks...
            Alright forget about the slips, weaves, etc. - how about just some basic to intermediate combinations with footwork drills? I'm looking for technique not conditioning
            C'mon, where are all the responses from all the boxers/trainers on this board? What are your routines/drills?
            1. You need to do more shadow boxing to refine your punching technique sine you said as you get sloppy as you continue. when you say continue during the set ie in the middle of your set you get sloppy or as you do your HB workout and you burn energy you get tired then sloppy????

2. VERY IMPORTANT,

RECORD YOURSELF.

That way you can see what you are doing wrong. I cant stress that enough. Record yourself then watch where you can improve. Are you hitting it too hard and or too fast which is causing you to get sloppy? are you not watching your range???? Is your footwork getting too sloppy?

These are things that you will see right off the bat when you record yourself. You watch boxing, you can see what you need to tighten up on. Unless you box and are with other people, you wont see what you need to work on maybe even just tweak if you just by yourself and you dont record....

3. work with multiple heavy bags. different sizes.

i work with two different size HBs,

when i work on my power and body punches, strength, and stamina, i use my bigger 100lb HB.

When i want to work on my boxing movement, defensive stances, circular angles, working on improving my muscle memory with my bobbing and weaving trying to ingrain it in my muscle memory i use a smaller size bag.

Put your ipod playlist on and go a set per song. Resting after every song. going back up with the next song.

See how many songs/sets you can do. Try to do this in a non air conditioned room so you can test and improve your stamina.

Comment

Any new routines? I'm getting back into boxing
              If you haven't worked with a coach, I highly recommend getting one for at least couple months as the feedback they give you about your form is invaluable and will carry with you for years. Prevents a lot of bad habits.

As far as drills go, the thing that got me to really tighten up my game is doing a slow round every 3rd or 4th round. Not low-output slow, but slow-motion. It really helps you focus on the fundamentals that are missed when working at speed.

As far as routines go, I keep it fun (otherwise, what's the point). My heavy-bag days usually look like this;
              Rd1; Warm-up round. Cover the basics, start light.
              2; Ramp up the power and speed.
              3; Incorporate advanced footwork.
              4; Add new techniques.
              5; Blitz round. Non-stop throwing while trying to be mindful of defense (integrating slips and blocks) and retracting hands quickly.
              6-10; Repeat the whole thing from the beginning.

Gives me a good blend of boxing plus fitness. 2 to 3 times a week. There's a new boxing sensor coming out that you wear in your glove and it tracks your punch count, type, speed, power, etc. Looking forward to that as it'll keep things fun and motivational.

Comment

For hitting the heavy bag you shouldn't rest for 1 minute between rds. Only 30 seconds maximum. However, it is good to have a timer that rings every 3 minutes if you want to change the focus each rd.

The heavy bag should be moving when you are working it. Don't just start hitting a bag that is still. Push it first. Hit it with jabs, straight punches, and uppercuts when it is moving towards you. Hit it with Hooks when it is moving in the opposite direction that your hook is. (moving to your left when throwing a left hook, moving to the right when throwing right hook)

Make sure the bottom of the bag is no lower than waist high. Your body shots should be near the bottom of the bag. Your hands should be wrapped and wearing proper gloves to protect your hands.

rd 1: warm up throwing every punch at about 50-70%. Shouldn't even be tired after this round, should feel energized, if you are breathing heavy then you went too hard
                rd 2: mainly jab and follow up with the right hand, add the left hook now and then (Your heart rate should be up)
                rd 3: inside fighting (hooks and uppercuts) (Have a hard sweat going and controlled breathing)
                rd 4: work the body (this is important because most novices and fighters in general lack body punching in their repertoire) You should be pretty tired after this and be breathing heavy.

Record yourself and count how many punches you throw per rd. Aim for about 100 good quality punches.

Comment

Working...
                X