No announcement yet.

Heavybag Combinations/Drills

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavybag Combinations/Drills

I try to work out 2-3 times a week and want to develop a sound training routine for the heavybag. I like shadow boxing and hitting the double end bag but my heavybag work sometimes leaves something to be desired i.e. it sucks (not all the time but enough that I need to ask for some suggestions)

I start off good but midway through I find myself getting sloppy with my punches. What I need is some easy to moderate heavybag drills that incorporate movement, slips, weaves with easy combinations. Ideally, I'd like to to master some basic punch combinations with movement and really develop a good technique.

What are some good (basic) skill building heavybag drills?

Thanks...

I can give you some basic one's I teach my younger students. You can be advanced and still use them.

If you are looking for a conditioning drill on the HB, try the 30/30/30 drill. First 30 seconds you punch 1-2 combos straight from the chin and high knees. Then the next 30 sec you just box the bag, throwing minimum 4 punch combos. Then the last 30 seconds, you hit for power. Do this for 3 minutes, 3 rounds.

If you are looking for technique, there's a ton of stuff you can do. I can't be too specific because it's hard to explain in words but try combos/slips/combos.

For example, certain punches set up certain shots. A simple one is throw a 2,3,2 combo, slip off your right hand, make sure you turn your hips on the slip to set up the 2,3,2 all over again.

Or

Slip the jab, then go under the right hand, step in and throw the double left hook (body and head) followed by a right hand.

Just repeat these combos and defensive slips over and over not worrying about power or speed but technique and footwork.

I have literally a ton more but it's hard to explain typing.

Comment

Alright forget about the slips, weaves, etc. - how about just some basic to intermediate combinations with footwork drills? I'm looking for technique not conditioning

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
        Alright forget about the slips, weaves, etc. - how about just some basic to intermediate combinations with footwork drills? I'm looking for technique not conditioning
        I do this drill where I have my fighters turn angles off of the HB as I swing it at them. It would be damn near impossible though to describe it by typing.

Comment

C'mon, where are all the responses from all the boxers/trainers on this board? What are your routines/drills?

Comment

do the 30/30/30 drill to start. it's along the same vein as HIIT and it will at least get you fit.

Comment

Video yourself on the bag then you can get some critiques and suggestions to do!
              You can't teach boxing on a typing board, its a "live thing" and a visual is needed! Ray

Comment

If your loading on every shot your arms will fatigue fast then you can become sloppy,i make sure my arms get a good warm up stretch then i shadow box 3 rounds before the HB.My routine consists of jabbing the bag lightly but fast stepping to my left and right while jabbing i repeat with 1 2 or 1 2 3 when i step to the bag then quickly fire 2 3 upstairs or down i try to be as disciplined as possible with regard to stance correct hand position and consistent work rate i dont load up on everything it makes me tired and breaks all concentration even my breathing goes.

Comment

Comment

I been stealing one of Marquez's best moves and practicing it on the bag. Was looking forward to trying it out on some flesh this weekend sparring but my shoulder isn't cooperating.

Anyways...from my southpaw stance...I visualize slipping a jab to the right, stepping in and out with my front/right foot, shooting an upper cut then overhand left. Marquez is a master of this. I also saw Broner do it in sparring. Beautiful counter.

Comment

Working...
                    X