Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questioning Golovkin's footwork . . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am hoping none of this is getting misconstrued, I'm not saying GGG is overhyped, overrated, a lousy fighter, or anything of that nature. I'm pointing out a flaw in his game. A flaw that an A level fighter may be able to capitalize on. A flaw that is keeping him from being perfect. . . Now I agree, he has a great understanding of the gap, and keeping himself in range... But when he moves to the right is when he gets hit flush, you can see it in the ouma fight, in the early rounds against dirrel (in the Olympics) and in other fights as well... If a guy like Sergio wants to beat him, what he'll have to do is keep GGG moving/turning to his right quickly, he leads and oversteps with his left foot and isn't squared up to punch, he can then be hit flush with a straight from a southpaw. In the split second it takes him to regain his footing, leaves plenty of time to keep him turning while popping him. Or to create some distance.

I don't mean to sound like I'm saying anything bad about GGG, and I know his power more than makes up for this flaw, but I just don't see how his footwork is "great."
    Last edited by DIB42; 07-02-2013, 07:12 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

I love threads like these

Comment

Originally posted by HtotheZ View Post
        I love threads like these
        Me too, we have conflicting views, but people are having an open discussion about it, as opposed to name calling and NSB shenanigans. Although I am feeling a bit like a Barry right now, seeing as my view seems 180 degrees from everyone else's. But I enjoy the conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by DIB42 View Post
          Me too, we have conflicting views, but people are having an open discussion about it, as opposed to name calling and NSB shenanigans. Although I am feeling a bit like a Barry right now, seeing as my view seems 180 degrees from everyone else's. But I enjoy the conversation.
          With all due respect, I don't think you are wrong in a certain context. I just think you need to look at the footwork for what it's being used for and who's using it.

If I had GGG in my gym, I wouldn't be concerned with his footwork to be honest. When I look at the way he cuts off the ring, is set to throw power shots all the time, I think his footwork is just fine.

Is he Floyd Mayweather or Willie Pep? No, but my point is he doesn't have to be and I don't think his footwork is going to be the thing that brings him down. With his style, defense, pressure and power, he's going to be a handful for everyone from 154-168 if that's where he decides to go.

Again, he reminds me of Chavez Sr. and we saw how long of a career he had. It was because of his style. That pressure fighter, with head movement and good footwork is a very hard style to deal with especially when he has serious power to go along with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
            Is he Floyd Mayweather or Willie Pep? No, but my point is he doesn't have to be and I don't think his footwork is going to be the thing that brings him down. With his style, defense, pressure and power, he's going to be a handful for everyone from 154-168 if that's where he decides to go.
            Ultimately time will tell, but I will agree, in hindsight, my evaluation seems hypercritical. Also at this stage of the game, trying to change the way a guy moves in one direction or the other would most likely be more detrimental then an improvement to his overall game.

Comment

GGG cut the ring off great, always hunting down his opponent without chasing him- good footwork 2 me.

Comment

Originally posted by DIB42 View Post
                I am hoping none of this is getting misconstrued, I'm not saying GGG is overhyped, overrated, a lousy fighter, or anything of that nature. I'm pointing out a flaw in his game. A flaw that an A level fighter may be able to capitalize on. A flaw that is keeping him from being perfect. . . Now I agree, he has a great understanding of the gap, and keeping himself in range... But when he moves to the right is when he gets hit flush, you can see it in the ouma fight, in the early rounds against dirrel (in the Olympics) and in other fights as well... If a guy like Sergio wants to beat him, what he'll have to do is keep GGG moving/turning to his right quickly, he leads and oversteps with his left foot and isn't squared up to punch, he can then be hit flush with a straight from a southpaw. In the split second it takes him to regain his footing, leaves plenty of time to keep him turning while popping him. Or to create some distance.

I don't mean to sound like I'm saying anything bad about GGG, and I know his power more than makes up for this flaw, but I just don't see how his footwork is "great."
                the guy stalks and rarely gets hit clean, why? because of that left foot "deficiency" of his, he is covers the center line, and wht the hell with this "not squared up to punch", never heard of such a thing

if your squared up your punches turn to sht, if he is in his proper stance he has his right straight and his lefts, squared up he basically has nothing but arm punches

or am i missing something here?

you think it's a a flaw that he doesn't square himself up and basically line his legs up and play goal keeper with the opponent? jesus
                the fact that he never leaves his boxing stance should be a testament to how well schooled this guy is, not a flaw

and when in there with the opposite stance, the straight is usually the answer for both guys
                Last edited by SplitSecond; 07-05-2013, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  GGG reminds me of Chavez Sr. He moves very similar and stalks his opponent with great angels and behind the jab.

For all we know, he can't box going backwards but since he has close to 400 fights, I think it's fair to say that he's been schooled well in all aspects of boxing.
                  yes and yes

Comment

He passes across his legs regularly when following, at least he did in the macklin battle, i think he will be pursuing a slicker guy more than he will be reducing off the band....

Cary Personal Training
                    Last edited by Austin123; 07-25-2013, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X