No announcement yet.

Questioning Golovkin's footwork . . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    he has been hit, though. plenty. the only thing that's missing is a flush bomb on the chin from a great punching MW, and there aren't any of those out there not named golovkin or quillin, and quillin won't fight him.

eventually, after the umpteenth solid shot he's taken from a lesser fighter we can say "well, he's taken everything but a flush bomb from a bonafide MW puncher, his chin can't possibly be bad. it's at the least 'good.'"

i think that's where we are now.
    He has good defense that's why, don't sell the guy short. There's different types of defense, there's the Pernel Whitaker type that is flashy. Slipping shots and never even getting touched.

Then there's the GGG, Chavez Sr type defense, where they catch a ton of shots with the gloves and seem to never get hit flush. One of the most underrated aspects of Chavez Sr game was his defense, I see the same in GGG.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
      you dont know sht about boxing ts, all that really needs to be said

I guess there always has to be one . . .

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      345--5 was his amatuer record! Never been stopped never been down as an amatuer or pro! Thats a very big accomplishment in a very full career!

I think the question of his "step overs" lies in the fact that he tries to keep his shoulders squared up as he circles when his opponent moves away or circles also! It does look awkward but its something he's done forever and its not broke so why fix it! Everything this guy does has to do with punching! He wants to get close and when he gets there he wants to be in position to throw! He is very aware of foot placement because he knows that proper balance adds to his natural ability to punch.
      There are definetely wrongs & rights when it comes to methods & Tecniques however theres always exceptions to the rules and when they add up to be a plus or for now not a negative then its not a big deal! No one teaches Ali's methods to avoid punches because its not the correct technique yet he did it and was successfull with it!
      Punchers get away with alot of things technical because their very good at shutting the lights out!
      Ray
      I'll accept this... Great points (per usual)

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
        He has good defense that's why, don't sell the guy short. There's different types of defense, there's the Pernel Whitaker type that is flashy. Slipping shots and never even getting touched.

Then there's the GGG, Chavez Sr type defense, where they catch a ton of shots with the gloves and seem to never get hit flush. One of the most underrated aspects of Chavez Sr game was his defense, I see the same in GGG.
        One thing he has going for him, after he hits his opponent, they stop throwing combos. Reminds me a lot of how Tyson would make his opponents scared to jab.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
          is punishable by death!
          LOL, obviously I see that now . . .

Comment

Originally posted by DIB42 View Post
            One thing he has going for him, after he hits his opponent, they stop throwing combos. Reminds me a lot of how Tyson would make his opponents scared to jab.
            We have a HW in the gym, I have posted pics of him before here as a matter of fact. He is 6'2", 255lbs and used to play DT for Penn St.

We say this to him a million times, his offense IS his defense. When he is aggressive, he changes the way his opponents fight him. He is 5-0 right now, with 4 ko's. When he pushes forward, he completely changes his opponents ability and want to throw shots.

I think the same is with GGG to a certain extent, because his punches are so powerful and he's so aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              We have a HW in the gym, I have posted pics of him before here as a matter of fact. He is 6'2", 255lbs and used to play DT for Penn St.

We say this to him a million times, his offense IS his defense. When he is aggressive, he changes the way his opponents fight him. He is 5-0 right now, with 4 ko's. When he pushes forward, he completely changes his opponents ability and want to throw shots.

I think the same is with GGG to a certain extent, because his punches are so powerful and he's so aggressive.
              I was always taught the best defense is a good offense.... unfortunately I had a lousy offense and defense.

Comment

Originally posted by DIB42 View Post
                I was always taught the best defense is a good offense.... unfortunately I had a lousy offense and defense.
                Hahaha, well join the club, sort of. I had not so good defense and good offense. I was a pressure fighter that liked to go to the body with the left hook, I know big stretch hu?

I'm just really impressed with Glovekin, he's smart, patient and has the power of a man much bigger than him.

Comment

Originally posted by mconstantine View Post
                  You said his footwork is terrible, then in the next sentence you said...

"I will say he stays in position to punch most of the time..."

Well sir, that is the definition of good footwork.

The entire objective of footwork is to enable the fighter to always be in position to punch and/or defend while maintaining proper stance and balance. Period.

Some fighters are much LIGHTER on their feet than others and some people perceive this as having superior footwork. Not necessarily. Guys like GGG and Broner are all about walking down guys and doing damage...so they tend to appear "heavy footed" because power comes from having your foot planted. But that footwork enables them to meet their objective. Their style doesn't warrant them having footwork like a Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather...but it doesn't make their footwork less than those guys.
                  Green Fuccing K

Comment

Boxing is offense & defense at the same time the only time one takes full time over the other is when someone begins to dominate or someones quickly hurt! We teach to be aware of the counters that are avalible when we make the "first move"! There are many counters for each and every move so all the aspects of boxing are a mixture that occurs simultaniously. A solid jab is offense and is a defense of sorts, its like the old saying "leaving em with a jab" throw your combos then slide over and jab! The jab may score and be tabbed as a scoring point of sorts but it also lands as a defensive move to assure your slide is safe from opposition punches! Even if its a slight blow to occupy your opponents mind for a split second or cause him to move off balanced its defensive move first off and it finishes as an offensive score.
                    Pep used to preach that everything you do in the ring has to do with offense & defense and if you think that way you will have a well rounded approach to the game to achieve success!
                    GGG is techically sound from my view point to date! We always want to see a successfull athlete under pressure to see how far his ability can go but if it doesn't happen theres no reason to dwell on it!! Everyone wanted to see Ray Leonard get wobbled and hurt to see his inner soul!! I've found that very few guys with high end ability and talent fail mentally when challenged but we're gifted or slighted as to what kind of whiskers we have!!
                    ray Leonard proved his stout when Duran caught him in the second round and hurt him but Leonard with stood Durans best and fought on to more than hold his own with a hungry and still great Duran. On the other hand Tommy Hearns who was equally as couragous as Leonard didn't have as good a chin as Leonard!! I think his body type hampered him but in no way was heart ever in question.
                    I see GGG with standing an asault and I catorgorize him as high end talent because of his skills and power! When I watch him box I see a game plan emerge immediately and a pressure fighter who has patience and ring savey!

I'll watch a guy like this every time he's on! The expectation that a true puncher brings to a fight is the best excitement boxing can have!
                    Hopkins, Mayweather and all the other "sliders" (rope hugging, counter punching, rarely agressive) combined don't sell excitement the way a big puncher can! Then if the puncher has skills and heart its a win win win event!
                    (and I don't mean he has to literally win everytime) ok I got pretty long winded here but GGG as a shot at being a great fighter, he needs help from willing opponents and he may have to move up in weight but thats the landscape these days! No division is 8 to 10 deep anymore, thats long gone!
                    Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                      Boxing is offense & defense at the same time the only time one takes full time over the other is when someone begins to dominate or someones quickly hurt! We teach to be aware of the counters that are avalible when we make the "first move"! There are many counters for each and every move so all the aspects of boxing are a mixture that occurs simultaniously. A solid jab is offense and is a defense of sorts, its like the old saying "leaving em with a jab" throw your combos then slide over and jab! The jab may score and be tabbed as a scoring point of sorts but it also lands as a defensive move to assure your slide is safe from opposition punches! Even if its a slight blow to occupy your opponents mind for a split second or cause him to move off balanced its defensive move first off and it finishes as an offensive score.
                      Pep used to preach that everything you do in the ring has to do with offense & defense and if you think that way you will have a well rounded approach to the game to achieve success!
                      GGG is techically sound from my view point to date! We always want to see a successfull athlete under pressure to see how far his ability can go but if it doesn't happen theres no reason to dwell on it!! Everyone wanted to see Ray Leonard get wobbled and hurt to see his inner soul!! I've found that very few guys with high end ability and talent fail mentally when challenged but we're gifted or slighted as to what kind of whiskers we have!!
                      ray Leonard proved his stout when Duran caught him in the second round and hurt him but Leonard with stood Durans best and fought on to more than hold his own with a hungry and still great Duran. On the other hand Tommy Hearns who was equally as couragous as Leonard didn't have as good a chin as Leonard!! I think his body type hampered him but in no way was heart ever in question.
                      I see GGG with standing an asault and I catorgorize him as high end talent because of his skills and power! When I watch him box I see a game plan emerge immediately and a pressure fighter who has patience and ring savey!

I'll watch a guy like this every time he's on! The expectation that a true puncher brings to a fight is the best excitement boxing can have!
                      Hopkins, Mayweather and all the other "sliders" (rope hugging, counter punching, rarely agressive) combined don't sell excitement the way a big puncher can! Then if the puncher has skills and heart its a win win win event!
                      (and I don't mean he has to literally win everytime) ok I got pretty long winded here but GGG as a shot at being a great fighter, he needs help from willing opponents and he may have to move up in weight but thats the landscape these days! No division is 8 to 10 deep anymore, thats long gone!
                      Ray

good post, old boy.

Comment

Working...
                      X