Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questioning Golovkin's footwork . . .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think golovkin has good footwork. he cuts the ring off. he's never going to be some slick boxer. all he's got to do is use his feet to make the ring smaller and still be able to punch and defend. he doesn't have to be meldrick taylor with offense like that. whatever he hits goes down.

Comment

345--5 was his amatuer record! Never been stopped never been down as an amatuer or pro! Thats a very big accomplishment in a very full career!

I think the question of his "step overs" lies in the fact that he tries to keep his shoulders squared up as he circles when his opponent moves away or circles also! It does look awkward but its something he's done forever and its not broke so why fix it! Everything this guy does has to do with punching! He wants to get close and when he gets there he wants to be in position to throw! He is very aware of foot placement because he knows that proper balance adds to his natural ability to punch.
      There are definetely wrongs & rights when it comes to methods & Tecniques however theres always exceptions to the rules and when they add up to be a plus or for now not a negative then its not a big deal! No one teaches Ali's methods to avoid punches because its not the correct technique yet he did it and was successfull with it!
      Punchers get away with alot of things technical because their very good at shutting the lights out!
      Ray

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        he had 250 amateur fights and made it to the top, international level. he's never been down. his chin certainly isn't glass. is it iron? we haven't seen him hit hard enough to know for sure, but we know it's not sh#t.
        Dzinziruk, Lara, etc had never been down either....

Either way, I havent seen anybody test it whatsoever. His power has been way too much for anybody to get the crazy idea to exchange with him. He may have a great chin, and he may have an average chin. Dunno at this juncture, to me there's a question mark there.

Comment

Originally posted by ~AK49~ View Post
          Dzinziruk, Lara, etc had never been down either....

Either way, I havent seen anybody test it whatsoever. His power has been way too much for anybody to get the crazy idea to exchange with him. He may have a great chin, and he may have an average chin. Dunno at this juncture, to me there's a question mark there.
          i don't know why you'd bring those two up, unless you think they have bad chins.

dzinziruk had a good chin. he went a long ass time before he started getting hurt. hew as in his mid 30's when he fought martinez. prior to that he fought joel julio, who could really punch, and he took all of his gas. then he fought johnathan gonzales, who had 10-20 lbs on him in the ring and has heavy hands. and lara was hit flush with left hooks by angulo, who hits harder than julio, as evidenced in their fight in '10. angulo has a second round knockout of rosado, a durable fighter who went some rounds with golovkin.

golovkin has gotten hit in quite a few of his pro fights, and he hardly blinks. he hasn't faced enough punchers to say that his chin is iron, but we've absolutely got enough to go on to know that it's not sh#T.

you really have to speculate about whether or not golovkin has a glass jaw?

Comment

i don't know why you'd bring those two up, unless you think they have bad chins.

dzinziruk had a good chin. he went a long ass time before he started getting hurt. hew as in his mid 30's when he fought martinez. prior to that he fought joel julio, who could really punch, and he took all of his gas. then he fought johnathan gonzales, who had 10-20 lbs on him in the ring and has heavy hands. and lara was hit flush with left hooks by angulo, who hits harder than julio, as evidenced in their fight in '10. angulo has a second round knockout of rosado, a durable fighter who went some rounds with golovkin.

golovkin has gotten hit in quite a few of his pro fights, and he hardly blinks. he hasn't faced enough punchers to say that his chin is iron, but we've absolutely got enough to go on to know that it's not sh#T.

you really have to speculate about whether or not golovkin has a glass jaw?
            Whoa man, I'm not suggesting he has a glass jaw, only have been stating what you have inherently been concurring with....we don't know how good it is. Its a question mark.

I only brought up those examples to retort to the notion that golovkin has never been down. He's never been down, as those guys hadn't, but there's a first time for everything. And it tends to happen when you step up in skilled opposition.

Comment

Whoa man, I'm not suggesting he has a glass jaw, only have been stating what you have inherently been concurring with....we don't know how good it is. Its a question mark.

I only brought up those examples to retort to the notion that golovkin has never been down. He's never been down, as those guys hadn't, but there's a first time for everything. And it tends to happen when you step up in skilled opposition.
              The thing is, we don't know. You are right, he hasn't been hit, but a lot of that has to do with the fact he has incredible power.

Like I said, he reminds me of Chavez Sr. I think Chavez had better head movement and defense, but both bring incredible pressure and go to the body in a devastating way.

GGG will get tested, but it will only be against the elite. Macklin is a tough SOB and he destroyed him, it was never even a fight. That was an impressive win, I can't say enough about this kid.

IMO GGG is pound for pound already.

Comment

there's something to be said for having that many amateur fights (and against terrific comp,) and never being down. as a pro the guy is a pure aggressor, and he gets hit. while he's never been hit flush by a great power puncher (few fighters have,) we have seen him respond well to all of the punches he's taken.

what i'm saying is that we know something about golovkin's chin. we know a lot about it, actually. a million amateur fights, and 27 pro fights, all as an agressor, taking punches in victory. he spars with cruiserweights and LHW. it looks very good. it's not like golovkin doesn't get marked up in his fights. we've seen him hit with solid shots. flush ones, too. all that we don't know is how he will react to a great punch from a true MW in his prime. his chin is not a complete mystery

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
                  The thing is, we don't know. You are right, he hasn't been hit, but a lot of that has to do with the fact he has incredible power.

Like I said, he reminds me of Chavez Sr. I think Chavez had better head movement and defense, but both bring incredible pressure and go to the body in a devastating way.

GGG will get tested, but it will only be against the elite. Macklin is a tough SOB and he destroyed him, it was never even a fight. That was an impressive win, I can't say enough about this kid.

Agreed. Can't wait for a mega fight matchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post

he has been hit, though. plenty. the only thing that's missing is a flush bomb on the chin from a great punching MW, and there aren't any of those out there not named golovkin or quillin, and quillin won't fight him.

eventually, after the umpteenth solid shot he's taken from a lesser fighter we can say "well, he's taken everything but a flush bomb from a bonafide MW puncher, his chin can't possibly be bad. it's at the least 'good.'"

i think that's where we are now.

Comment

he has been hit, though. plenty. the only thing that's missing is a flush bomb on the chin from a great punching MW, and there aren't any of those out there not named golovkin or quillin, and quillin won't fight him.

eventually, after the umpteenth solid shot he's taken from a lesser fighter we can say "well, he's taken everything but a flush bomb from a bonafide MW puncher, his chin can't possibly be bad. it's at the least 'good.'"

i think that's where we are now.
                      Personally, I can only setlle on his chin not being terrible/bad. Everything else hasn't been proven yet IMO. As me and cuauh agree, a huge difference lies in golovkin threat from his power. As people quickly find out when they get touched by golovkin, they realize holy **** I don't want to get hit by him again, don't want to exchange, don't want to plant my feet and commit to my punches, etc.

When such a world class fighter comes along that does do this, then we will get closer to the full story. And at this point, I'm not even sure such a person exists at the moment. Only a few individuals come to mind who even have a chance IMO, and I'm not even sold on them against golovkin.

Martinez; I believe he has the skills to outpoint golovkin to a decision, but huge question marks around his knee and hands. Can his knee hold up under 12 rounds of constant movement? Not even sure if he can take golovkins power, once golovkin does land something, either up or downstairs.

Canelo; can he take golovkins shots? Golovkin is seemingly the bigger man, and yet, both walk out to the bring right around 170. Hell of a matchup IMO, and would be a great war.

Chavez Jr; another great war IMO, but I have a tough time getting behind Chavez' lack of mental strength and discipline.

And ward. Probably has the skills to outclass golovkin, and is the bigger man. A good fight, but personally I'd rather see on of the aforementioned fights first.

Comment

Working...
                      X