This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
    Ok so starting my new program which is like my old one but the days certain muscle groups are worked is restructured and I am taking out/adding different exercises depending on how I felt they worked last cycle.

I am going to do a split routine 4 days per week like usual I find is best but for legs do you think long distances running would be enough without weight work for that body part? If I am still creating a calories surplus I should still see some mass gain right as long as I am applying principles of progressive overload? For instance you do this by moving up the weight or trying to perform more reps than you did the last time so wouldn't this work if I ran a bit further or maybe added intensity to the runs? any advice on this or opinions?
    If you are trying to create mass on your legs there really is no substitute for lifting. I don't know how many times a week you run but I think it is a smart idea to sub out at least one running day for lifting legs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
      If you are trying to create mass on your legs there really is no substitute for lifting. I don't know how many times a week you run but I think it is a smart idea to sub out at least one running day for lifting legs.
      That might be a good idea and I always looked at fitness like a human algebra equation just substituting variables to solve for X and get the right answer so I think its good to experiment and try different things. Sometimes when you do that it doesn't workout and if it doesn't no worries you just regroup and think up a new gameplan.

Comment

• Saturdays are my favorite lifting days. Get to hit the gym in the late morning when it isn't nearly as packed as weekday nights, buy some Jack3d for pre workout, and pull day so I get to do deadlifts. Usually do heavy singles on saturdays too. Was able to hit 365x2 today and it felt pretty easy. 375 shouldn't be an issue but my goal of 405 by summer probably wont be happening. The only reason I have been pressing DL more than other workouts is because I'm pretty weak in it and just want to get it up.

I think my favorite back exercises has become weighted pull ups. I'll just pyramid up from BWx12, +25 x 8, +45 x 3-5, +65x1-2... then last set I drop it down from the top of the pyramid back to bodyweight. Gets a good burn on the back.

Comment

• Doing 245lbs on my bench routine now. Rep averages are 12, 10, 8, 8, 5-6.

Comment

• Today did 3 miles on the tread. Military press 135lbs 1st set 8 reps, 2nd 7 reps, 3rd 7 reps, 4th 6 reps, 5th 5 1/2 reps. Dumb bell curl pyramid, 35lbs 8 reps, 40lbs 6 reps, 45lbs 7 reps to fatigue, 40lbs 10 reps to fatigue, 35lbs 10 reps to fatigue. Im at 1700 calories so far today. My wife's making vege soup. so should top out around 2000-2100 calories.

Comment

• Chicken veggie soup was delicious.

Comment

• Just been fcking around with machines for weights but I made it to LA this week did free weights. Did my pyramid on bench press and did 6 reps on 265lbs at the top. Feeling good

Comment

• Finished my quarter mark of my 12 week program where I did my light weight high rep range week........harder than you think to get to 20 reps with just 150lbs on the bench but it does help and I notice the benefits when I go back to normal after doing this for one week then at the 3/4 mark of the program I do the opposite heavy weight/ low reps of 3s, 5s, 7s.

Comment

• is high reps lower weight where you are controlling the negative and squeezing the muscle better for your joints?

Comment

• Originally posted by jas View Post
                      is high reps lower weight where you are controlling the negative and squeezing the muscle better for your joints?
                      Well the idea behind doing this is to improve your muscle conditioning and endurance so you will not fatigue so fast and be able to crank out more reps at your normal rep range which people training for strength and size would typically call "gainz".

Its about this for me

Comment

Working...
                      X