WEIGHTS HELP: Strength Training Program

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GroundSt.Pound View Post
    Me? Use intelligence? Ha

Says the guy who is too stupid to understand what he is posting and just does google searches to prove his point.

Using too much weight. No boxer is going to be deadlifting 800lbs, or benching 405, or Clean and Jerking 300lbs.

The reports you are showing are of individuals involved in powerlifting which has always been plagued with injuries because of the weight involved. More weight causes more flaws in form and that causes injuries, not the lift itself.

And your views are circa the stone age. You know times change and methods advance. What I'm saying is proven and is used by thousands of athletes today.

I never said it wasn't and I'm completely aware it is. If you mean to tell me that Combat Athletes don't do O-Lifts, you're an idiot.
    You can target your fast twitch fibers by doing anything explosive. So you could technically use high reps on certain things. A lot boxers train speed by doing burpees, sometimes in sets of 50. It's an exersize that requires explosivity. I've seen Pacquiao doing burpees with a medacine ball (harder variation).

I think the only reason that heavy lifting increases speed is it forces the user to push as hard as he can and almost "jerk" it up.

Although i'm not disagreeing with what you said, i know a lot of the things you post are what MMa fighters do. There is not a single MMA fighter that impresses me with his athleticism. (although Shaun Sherk did for a bit, but he was caught roiding). Even GSP isn't looking that fast these days, but the respect the guy cause he's the only person in the ufc who takes his job seriously. I think a lot of the stuff you post isn't really ideal for a boxer.

You accused me of not knowing anything, but really - your style of training isn't great for any striking sport at all. I guess like you said different things work for different people. All in a days work..
    Last edited by them_apples; 04-11-2010, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Don't come to a boxing forum to learn how to get stronger is what it seems since everyone is ignoring what me, GSP, dirt, righthand banger, and some others have been spouting for a while now.

Comment

Edit: Just saw that you said you can't do squats because you don't have the flexibility, but you can perform DB Shoulder Presses fine? That's wrong dude. Either you aren't doing DB Shoulder Presses correctly or you aren't putting the effort into squatting because they require around the exact same flexibility.

Read first couple of posts and face palmed, why do some of you idiots ****ing post this trash?

High reps and low weight does little to NOTHING when it comes to gaining power, all it does is work your MUSCULAR ENDURANCE.

Hypertrophy (muscle mass) may come at ANY REP SCHEME, regardless if you're lifting heavy and low reps or lifting light and high reps.. all it comes down to is IF YOU ARE EATING TO GAIN MASS. You can do ANY workout and gain nothing if you don't ****ing eat for it. With that said, if you are specifically seeking STRENGTH gains:

1 TO 5 REPS. That means you lift HEAVY weight up to 5 reps per set. This is a complete shock to your CNS and promotes the optimum amount of strength gains. You do not want to specifically increase reps past 5 because then hypertrophy becomes more prominent. (That's why BODY BUILDERS lift between 6-12 reps per set.. because it promotes hypertrophy.. and POWER LIFTERS/Olympic lifters WHO CANNOT AFFORD TO GAIN WEIGHT OR THEY MUST BUMP UP WEIGHT CLASSES lift in the 1-5 rep range.)

If you want an overall workout, search Bill Starr's 5x5. He is an ex football strength and conditioning coach and his program is WORLD RENOWNED.

http://www.wackyhq.com/madcow5x5/geo...Linear_5x5.htm

Read, read, read!!!

The absolute basics of this program are:

Monday -

Squats, Bench, Barbell Row

Wednesday -

Squats, Incline Bench, Deadlift

Friday -

Squats, Bench, Barbell Row

Read the testimony's and research peoples workout logs if you don't believe how well this workout works. It's designed to increase your major four lifts (deadlift, squat, bench, and barbell row) up to 15% in NINE WEEKS. (Yeah, ****ing NINE. Most people are lucky to increase lifts 2.5% in nine weeks.)

Cliffs:

1) People don't know what the **** they are talking about.
        2) Light weight and high reps is for BITCHES and accomplishes NOTHING when it comes to strength gains.
        3) Olympian Lifters + Power Lifters compete in weight classes and increase strength by doing 1-5 reps WITHOUT GAINING MASS.
        4) Research Bill Starr's 5x5 program.
        Last edited by kryo; 04-12-2010, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          You can target your fast twitch fibers by doing anything explosive. So you could technically use high reps on certain things. A lot boxers train speed by doing burpees, sometimes in sets of 50. It's an exersize that requires explosivity. I've seen Pacquiao doing burpees with a medacine ball (harder variation).
          I think the only reason that heavy lifting increases speed is it forces the user to push as hard as he can and almost "jerk" it up.
          exercises intended to increase speed/agility/power are heavily dependednt on training the nervous system. they are generally not done in high reps because fatigue is a limiting factor in these movements. burpees are done for conditioning.

the reason weights increase your power is because you are combining more force with the same speed - the only way an onlympic lifter is gonna get that weight above his head is if he is real ****ign fast and real ****ing strong.

Although i'm not disagreeing with what you said, i know a lot of the things you post are what MMa fighters do. There is not a single MMA fighter that impresses me with his athleticism. (although Shaun Sherk did for a bit, but he was caught roiding). Even GSP isn't looking that fast these days, but the respect the guy cause he's the only person in the ufc who takes his job seriously. I think a lot of the stuff you post isn't really ideal for a boxer.
          their athletecism doesn't impress you? oh well in that case I guess we better stop the whole sport.

the qualities required in combat athletes are pretty similar no matter what you're doing. the only difference is that grapplers require more physical strength. all combat sports require a degree of physical strength and explosive power.
          You accused me of not knowing anything, but really - your style of training isn't great for any striking sport at all. I guess like you said different things work for different people. All in a days work..
          the old-school attitude about weigths and boxing is unfortunately strong with you sir

Comment

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...htraining.html

Comment

seeing as you posted something that is actually useful its pretty likely that the boneheads in this forum will ignore it

Comment

Originally posted by Righthandbanger View Post
                seeing as you posted something that is actually useful its pretty likely that the boneheads in this forum will ignore it
                You cant say something is useful for everyone, is the point Ive been trying to make to you... Yeah, I lift heavyweights, and light weights, I try to do as many different exercises and variations of them as I can, simply because the more you try the better your odd's of improving are... But some people like to stick with what works for them best...

Comment

Originally posted by hateinyaeyes32 View Post
                  You cant say something is useful for everyone, is the point Ive been trying to make to you... Yeah, I lift heavyweights, and light weights, I try to do as many different exercises and variations of them as I can, simply because the more you try the better your odd's of improving are... But some people like to stick with what works for them best...
                  the point I'm making is you dont need so many exercises. look at how your body moves in boxing. the closest movements you can get to replicate these are

squat variations
                  bench
                  overhead press
                  deadlift variations
                  rows
                  dips
                  chinups
                  pressups
                  russian twists (pretty much any ab exercise is ok)
                  any clean and jerk variation.
                  neck raises/bridges

that is pretty much every exercise you will ever need, and you wont need to use all of them at once if you follow a proper program. as I have said before, strength isnt so much about training the muscles as the central nervous system. therefore your body should be using exercises that bear the most resemblances to your sport. in these circumstances useless exercises include:

curls
                  flys
                  shrugs
                  tricep extensions
                  quad extensions
                  the pec deck

Comment

poor workout buddy , before yu start yu shud realistically decide wht yu want ur body to look like and weigh. its hard to gain strength without getting bigger so i would jus go on a bulk 4 maybe 9 months nd then change to a lean diet. train no more than 5 days a week. exercises should include :

incline bench press, flat db press, clean and jerk press, behind the head shoulder press, wide grip pull ups , bent over rows , deadlifts, squats , rocky sit-ups. basically power movements.
                    good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X