How should a boxer train?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonysoprano View Post
    Get a good trainer.
    Many of the good trainers are dying off.

Leaving you with alot of no fight know nothins training your amateurs and professionals. .............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

Many of the good trainers are dying off.

Leaving you with alot of no fight know nothins training your amateurs and professionals. .............Rockin'
      You seem like a veteran in the game who knows his stuff... good for u to keep it real
      Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Mr305worldwide, no disrespect. But you don't know what you are talking about.

Have you ever sparred or fought before?

Comment

Originally posted by Quiksilva View Post

You seem like a veteran in the game who knows his stuff... good for u to keep it real
          I worked the corner for a friend who fought Joe Messi. I got the gig from another friend who it was offered to. We all knew eachother.

I was teaching this friend boxing at the time, he demanded that he be the corner man in the ring for the bout.

After convincing him that it was for the better for me to be up it was so.

I showed the fighter one move to use against Messi.

So the bell rings and they start boxing, the round ends as the fighter comes back to the corner.

So me and the fighter are waiting for the stool to be placed so that the fighter could sit down.

This friend couldn't figure out how to get the stool in to the ring.

The fighter and I look at eachother as he tries so hard to turn the stool the right way so that he could get it into the ring.

It looked like a kid trying to fit a square cube in to a round hole.

I grab the stool from him, set the seat portion upside down on the ring, pull it against the ropes and then flip it down and slide it under the ropes.

People think that they know boxing, but once they get there........ .....Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 03-23-2024, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            People think that they know boxing, but once they get there........ .....Rockin'
            I know and understand what you ****ing mean by that. It's easy to look on the outside surface and be like, "Use this, use that, do this, do that"

It's different when you're inside there. Hence, I show empathy and respect to every fighter who gets in there and puts in the work, win, lose, or draw. Boxing is a very tough sport.
            Last edited by Quiksilva; 03-24-2024, 01:05 AM.
            Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiksilva View Post

I know and understand what you ****ing mean by that. It's easy to look on the outside surface and be like, "Use this, use that, do this, do that"

It's different when you're inside there. Hence, I show empathy and respect to every fighter who gets in there and puts in the work, win, lose, or draw. Boxing is a very tough sport.
              The toughest.

If boxing was easy than everybody would be doing it.

.................Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Tails View Post
                From experience for myself and what I have seen with successful professionals it is fairly simple for conditioning. But it is important to keep in mind that this is for getting yourself in competition shape and is not sustainable for the long term.

For conditioning you want to pretty much do every boxing related exercise at a pretty high intensity that simulates a fighting pace. That's when you start hitting that peak that you hear people refer to.

The adjustment to this is to just dial it down and do all these things at a moderate pace with one high intensity pace thrown in every so often. It will keep you in shape to the point where you could probably hop in the ring for a few rounds and not gas out should it be competitive.

As for strength you do pretty do whatever works for you. Not everyone is built the same nor do they respond to workouts the same so it's about finding what works for you and more importantly what you enjoy doing since you are doing this for recreational purposes. Now the way to do this without gaining weight is not really possible for the most part unless you cut back on food or it you are do an abnormal amount of cardio and Interior Painting Contractors. Again this is not really sustainable for the long term. So I would recommend you find certain strength goals and focus on achieving those if you want to limit weight gain.
                Hello. I've noted how there's a bunch of "heavy lifters" on the forum complaining about and dealing with this or that tendon or joint while expressing some regrets. Having to deal with long-term and possibly permanent injuries. Also runners, notoriously known for being the healthiest sick patients going to the doctor. Personally, I've put the kibosh on some sports that I otherwise enjoyed (like hockey and wrecking a knee) in order to avoid "bitching and moaning" whenever I try to stand up from the point of a couch like the average BMI>25 potato. Boxing sounds fun and interesting from very many perspectives though. OTOH, getting punched in the head/brain just seems like a fundamentally bad idea already! Anyone with experience in boxing? Me getting close to age 50 but still being able to hang physically with varsity-level 20-30 yos; would getting into boxing be a terrible idea at this point? Relative or absolute?

Comment

Working...
                X