No announcement yet.

How should a boxer train?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should a boxer train?

How should a boxer train in relation to strength and conditioning. You had boxers such as Jack Dempsey and Marvin Hagler doing calisthenics and manual labour such as chopping wood and then you have boxers doing weightlifting such as Tyson Fury and Ricky Hatton. So what is the right way for a boxer to train in relation to strength and conditioning?

Originally posted by Dempsey1895_ View Post
    How should a boxer train in relation to strength and conditioning. You had boxers such as Jack Dempsey and Marvin Hagler doing calisthenics and manual labour such as chopping wood and then you have boxers doing weightlifting such as Tyson Fury and Ricky Hatton. So what is the right way for a boxer to train in relation to strength and conditioning?
    Depends on the weight class, what the boxer wants to improve on, his strengths, weaknesses, etc.

What are you looking to achieve?

Comment

To get stronger whilst maintaining my speed and not adding unnecessary bulk to my frame. I do mainly calisthenics such as pushups, sit ups, squats and pullups with roadwork seven days a week.
      Last edited by TheDempseyKid; 04-27-2023, 01:32 PM.
      Charlie Zelenoff Charlie Zelenoff likes this.

Comment

First eat bull balls
        second
        go to a Mexican gym and eat posited

3rd…

go eat raw beef—

lick j poon eat whale and shark meat

stop posting stupid questions
        Last edited by Zaroku; 11-07-2022, 07:52 PM.
        TheOneAboveAll TheOneAboveAll likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey1895_ View Post
          To get stronger whilst maintaining my speed and not adding unnecessary bulk to my frame. I do mainly calisthenics such as pushups, sit ups, squats and pullups with roadwork seven days a week. The reason for me wanting to get stronger is recently suffering an injury to my calf muscle caused by roadwork.
          Have you hooked up with at trainer yet? Do you train at a boxing gym?

Comment

From experience for myself and what I have seen with successful professionals it is fairly simple for conditioning. But it is important to keep in mind that this is for getting yourself in competition shape and is not sustainable for the long term.

For conditioning you want to pretty much do every boxing related exercise at a pretty high intensity that simulates a fighting pace. That's when you start hitting that peak that you hear people refer to.

The adjustment to this is to just dial it down and do all these things at a moderate pace with one high intensity pace thrown in every so often. It will keep you in shape to the point where you could probably hop in the ring for a few rounds and not gas out should it be competitive.

As for strength you do pretty do whatever works for you. Not everyone is built the same nor do they respond to workouts the same so it's about finding what works for you and more importantly what you enjoy doing since you are doing this for recreational purposes. Now the way to do this without gaining weight is not really possible for the most part unless you cut back on food or it you are do an abnormal amount of cardio. Again this is not really sustainable for the long term. So I would recommend you find certain strength goals and focus on achieving those if you want to limit weight gain.

Comment

Must start with the small steps the keep this up do some light exercises then go with an intense cardio warmup, boxing with intervals of bodyweight exercises, and of course, core work. These are the best way to start boxing so must try this.​

Comment

You have to run. Running and roadwork is a major part of training.

Out of all athletes from other sports I've seen come into a boxing gym, Cross Country runners do the best right away. Football players do the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by lamarclark09 View Post
                  Must start with the small steps the keep this up do some light exercises then go with an intense cardio warmup, boxing with intervals of bodyweight exercises, and of course, core work. These are the best way to start boxing so must try this.​
                  What exercises would you recommend to build muscle and strength which would benefit my boxing training?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

Have you hooked up with at trainer yet? Do you train at a boxing gym?
                    I have been training boxing for two years. What exercises would you recommend to build strength and muscle which would benefit my boxing training?

Comment

Working...
                    X