No announcement yet.

Lack of Physical Activity Global Contributor to Early Death

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of Physical Activity Global Contributor to Early Death

Physical inactivity has become a global problem that is responsible for up to 8 percent of early deaths, according to new research published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.

Researchers looked at physical activity levels and health outcomes for 168 countries in 2016. They defined inactivity as falling below the recommended amount of 150 minutes of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity activity per week.

Countries, where inactivity was widespread, appeared to have a higher incidence of diseases like coronary heart disease, obesity, diabetes, stroke, cancer, among others, that lead to early mortality.

Physical activity may include structured exercise sessions but can also involve other types of movement, such as walking, gardening, and even household chores.

Researchers looked at data based on the income levels of each country. They found that physical inactivity in high-income countries were more than double that of low-income countries.

But it’s actually middle-income countries that have the greatest number of people affected by the issue, and as a result, these countries face the most strain on their healthcare resources.

For example, 69 percent of all deaths and 74 percent of cardiovascular disease deaths associated with physical inactivity occur in middle-income countries. The highest burden is in Latin American and Caribbean countries. The lowest burden is in sub-Saharan Africa, Oceania, and Southeast Asia.

The data in the recent study was taken years before the pandemic, so it’s possible that the issue has become even more problematic in the past year.

For example, a research review in BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine that compared physical activity levels before and after COVID-19 restrictions found significant decreases in physical activity and increases in sedentary behaviors, which included including children and people with chronic medical conditions.

This happened despite efforts from government organizations to provide guidance on maintaining activity during quarantine, according to that study’s co-author, Mike Trott, Ph.D(c), at the Cambridge Centre for Sport and Exercise Sciences at Anglia Ruskin University in the U.K.

Some of the research also suggests that those who were more active before COVID tended to show larger decreases in physical activity once lockdowns and stay-at-home orders were put in place. In addition to physical health risks for everyone, this situation could have a major impact on mental health, says Trott.

“Decreased activity may lead to increases in undesirable mental health outcomes, and some studies have shown significant increases in anxiety and depression during the lockdown,” he states. “Due to the likelihood of further COVID-19-related restrictions, or even another, similar pandemic, the promotion of digital-based physical activity is recommended.”

For example, that could mean the promotion of resources and tools like:

Online fitness classes
    Video-based personal training or physical therapy
    Apps that encourage activity
    Fitness trackers
    Programs that structure outdoor exercise like walking

The increase in sedentary behavior is not surprising, adds Trott, especially with people working from home and kids attending school virtually.

Although meeting the activity recommendations is important for reducing health risks, the good news is that even a few minutes of movement will contribute to the overall total, says Emmanuel Stamatakis, Ph.D., from the School of Public Health, University of Sydney.

“Especially if you’ve been sedentary, starting to move more with short bursts of exercise can be helpful for creating better habits, and can even have profound effects on physical and mental health,” he says. “Think of these as ‘movement snacks’ like sprinting up the stairs or going for a short walk as your break from work.”

Recently updated guidelines from the World Health Organization, which Stamatakis helped co-author, emphasized the serious risks of lower activity levels and mentioned depression as well as mobility concerns for older people. But people of all ages really do need to get moving, Stamatakis believes.

"We suggest people see the weekly recommended physical activity levels as the minimum," he says. "The best aim would be to exceed them. This is supported by growing scientific research about the serious health problems that can come with large amounts of sedentary time."

This is extremely easy to put into practice.

Stop drinking, Stop Smoking, Eat right, stay hydrated, and EXERCISE for 1 month. I guarantee you, you will feel better have more confidence and enjoy life more.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxGod View Post
      This is extremely easy to put into practice.

Stop drinking, Stop Smoking, Eat right, stay hydrated, and EXERCISE for 1 month. I guarantee you, you will feel better have more confidence and enjoy life more.
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^this right here.

Comment

Anyone who has been eating poorly and not training in any way will be able to make great improvements just by changing a few things. There’s a reason a 400lb person can lose 100lbs relatively fast and someone who is already in shape will have a hard time dropping 10lbs. Cut out sugary drinks and you will see changes right there. Drinking calories is easier than eating them. Improving your diet at first is hard but it gets easier and easier until the things you used to eat feel alien to you. There’s no shortcuts. Start with doing just enough that you will be willing to continue to do the next day. Build on that. Getting stronger and leaner at the same time feels great.

Comment

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
          Anyone who has been eating poorly and not training in any way will be able to make great improvements just by changing a few things. There’s a reason a 400lb person can lose 100lbs relatively fast and someone who is already in shape will have a hard time dropping 10lbs. Cut out sugary drinks and you will see changes right there. Drinking calories is easier than eating them. Improving your diet at first is hard but it gets easier and easier until the things you used to eat feel alien to you. There’s no shortcuts. Start with doing just enough that you will be willing to continue to do the next day. Build on that. Getting stronger and leaner at the same time feels great.
          What are you thoughts on normal tea and coffee with artificial sweetner?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

If you tolerate caffeine well and are not adding tons of cream or sugars to several cups a day, I don’t see a problem.

Comment

Yup its really that easy. Change something. Its harder the slimer you are because you are not eating so much above maintenance like a overweight person is that cutting anything out is putting them into a deficit where you have to actually burn calories through excerise and be strict on your diet to achieve a goal.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

Coffee is fine imo, it can also be great for the liver..... and the thing about artificial sweeteners is... that.... nothing is really bad in moderation. I find a lot of people who have concerns about artificial sweeteners are usually overweight and being honest with them I say being overweight is more detrimental to your health than drinking some fake sugar is, so if drinking a fake sugar drink is gonna help you lose weight than do it.

But you will want to just eventually try to stray away from sugar and sweeteners all together. Me personally I only drink water and black coffee and occasionally I drink a protein drink that has a fake sugar in it when I want some flavor or something, but I have literally cut sugars out of my diet for so long I dont even like sweet drinks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxGod View Post

Coffee is fine imo, it can also be great for the liver..... and the thing about artificial sweeteners is... that.... nothing is really bad in moderation. I find a lot of people who have concerns about artificial sweeteners are usually overweight and being honest with them I say being overweight is more detrimental to your health than drinking some fake sugar is, so if drinking a fake sugar drink is gonna help you lose weight than do it.

But you will want to just eventually try to stray away from sugar and sweeteners all together. Me personally I only drink water and black coffee and occasionally I drink a protein drink that has a fake sugar in it when I want some flavor or something, but I have literally cut sugars out of my diet for so long I dont even like sweet drinks.
                  I personally love skim milk, but I have to remove it when I want to drop weight. I like to bake cookies and wash them down with ice cold skim milk. If I don’t have milk I won’t bake. But even without cookies on hand I’ll drink 2L of milk no problem. I don’t even tolerate it as well as I used to, just like most people. It’s a good source of protein and easy to get in you, so it can help a lot when you’re trying to gain. But there’s also more sugar than protein, so I can’t recommend it on any sort of cut. I don’t drink a lot of soda. Though Jay Cutler once said he drinks a can of soda after each workout to replenish glycogen. Sometimes you hear something like that and it’s all you need to hear to justify a can a day. I’ll do it on occasion in the summer. When we were younger we could drink a tall mocha frap with whipped cream and still get in shape. I don’t think I’ve ever cut out all sugars like you, but I think I should try it for a month or two at least. I ate 1500 calories a day ( plus one high calorie day a week to keep metabolism up ) for two months and I lost 15lbs and increased my bench press. I’m a bit over chicken and rice though. I’ll often do two protein shakes and one meal. I’ve always struggled with digestion issues. I could never force feed. My burping could fill a Zepplin.

Comment

I personally love skim milk, but I have to remove it when I want to drop weight. I like to bake cookies and wash them down with ice cold skim milk. If I don’t have milk I won’t bake. But even without cookies on hand I’ll drink 2L of milk no problem. I don’t even tolerate it as well as I used to, just like most people. It’s a good source of protein and easy to get in you, so it can help a lot when you’re trying to gain. But there’s also more sugar than protein, so I can’t recommend it on any sort of cut. I don’t drink a lot of soda. Though Jay Cutler once said he drinks a can of soda after each workout to replenish glycogen. Sometimes you hear something like that and it’s all you need to hear to justify a can a day. I’ll do it on occasion in the summer. When we were younger we could drink a tall mocha frap with whipped cream and still get in shape. I don’t think I’ve ever cut out all sugars like you, but I think I should try it for a month or two at least. I ate 1500 calories a day ( plus one high calorie day a week to keep metabolism up ) for two months and I lost 15lbs and increased my bench press. I’m a bit over chicken and rice though. I’ll often do two protein shakes and one meal. I’ve always struggled with digestion issues. I could never force feed. My burping could fill a Zepplin.
                    I once lost ten pounds in a month from taking metamucil 3 times a day. My dumps during that period would put a bear to shame

Comment

Working...
                    X