Collapse
No announcement yet.

general weight lifting question....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah thats cool man, thats all I really wanted to know thanks. I just don't wanna end up with a repetitive strain injury or anything, this nerve thing is ****ed up enough lol I Don't need any other **** like tendonitis or something.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarShanep4p View Post
      Nah thats cool man, thats all I really wanted to know thanks. I just don't wanna end up with a repetitive strain injury or anything, this nerve thing is ****ed up enough lol I Don't need any other **** like tendonitis or something.
      Yeah I get whta you're saying. However, if you do start, start out slow and with small weights. Build up the reps and weight each week. What I did was increase each set by 3 reps, and then, after 5 weeks, I increased the weight by 10 pounds, and went down by reps, until I built up to increased reps with that increased weight. Good luck man.

Comment

Originally posted by mr tricky View Post
        lol you dont have a clue and always post a load of ****e,

weights can be fantastic for boxing,
        my gym has trained loads of champions and always recomeds lifting weights to improve strength,

look at it this way,

person lifts weigths becomes very stong, starts boxing, becomes good powerfull boxer,
        has an advantage over a weak person who begins boxing,

Muscels are muscels, they help our body move, wen they grow they are stronger and can help our body move bigger things,

A Strong muscle is a more explosive muscle, explosive muscles are needed in boxing,

weights will simply make you a better athlete at any sport as muscels become quicker,stronger, and more explosive,

only timess weights can turn bad for boxing is wen you get so big you cant hardly move an lose mobility, but that wont happen.....unless your a body builder, but you box aswell,

im sure many boxers on here use weights i know a few do
        Very well said boy.

I was an amateur kick boxer way back in 1996 and i didn't listen to my coach that i had to do weights. I didn't need them i said.

It took me 10 years to realize that weight lifting is very important. It will increase your power and speed.

Comment

Originally posted by mr tricky View Post
          ??????? your for getting about weight?

your basing it as if hes gona be lifting the same weight for 3-5 reps as he would for 8-12,

boxers should be doing light weights in the 8-12 rep range, as fast as they can,

3-5 range with heavy weights isnt good for boxing as it creates mass and size,

boxers want light weights and high reps,

however i dont think heavy weight low reps is too bad though.....
          Actually 8-12 is the hypertrophy range. And the 3-5 reps is done with near max loads.

Comment

Originally posted by itwasluck View Post
            If I can recall Mayweather used/uses weights, and he is very fast. Sugar Shane Mosley was extremely fast and he could bench press over 300+. Some people even say Mosley was just like Mayweather only he could do everything with power. There's a lot of boxers that lifts weights and are still fast.
            They are people who are naturally exceptionally fast. Even then, the fighters that make punching combinations more fluid always avoid weights. there is no arguing with Ali! Mayweather also does very light weights. People who do heavy weights always end up stiff. Even Iron Mike never did that **** and he was a heavy. I apologise for not making it clear I was referring to heavy weights. Light weights is same as calisthenics which I do everyday so I would be talking **** if I said don't do light weights and fast pro fighters don't do them. Shadow hand weights also constitute light weights, and I actually think they help with sustaining speed. Alot of pro's in my gym also do 100 rep sets on their shoulders. I meant heavy weights make people slow and into bums and cause weight problems too. My bad.
            Originally posted by Fidayin View Post
            roy jones jr did lift weights, how else do you expect a middelweight to go up to heavyweight and still look ript.
            That was his downfall. Trust me, up until 175 he did not use weights!
            Last edited by Rafael Benitez; 07-16-2008, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Rafa, you are so wrong it's not even funny. Heavy weights develop your CNS and fast twitch fibres, so in fact, you get faster and more explosive. FACT!

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
                Rafa, you are so wrong it's not even funny. Heavy weights develop your CNS and fast twitch fibres, so in fact, you get faster and more explosive. FACT!
                Bollocks. they make you bulky and stiff. How do you explain the fact that they affect your weight making ability too? Heavy weights are a big no no unless you are a heavyweight.

Good in theory but in practise it will make you bulky and robotic. It might work in sprinting but boxing you need speed of reaction not just movement and bulk will slow that down. The bulk will take the snap out of your punches. Fast twitch fibres are a natural gift. Train hard to maximise what you may alreayd have buit trying to add them by doing heavy weights is a no brainer.
                Last edited by Rafael Benitez; 07-16-2008, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael Benitez View Post
                  Bollocks. they make you bulky and stiff. How do you explain the fact that they affect your weight making ability too? Heavy weights are a big no no unless you are a heavyweight.

Good in theory but in practise it will make you bulky and robotic. It might work in sprinting but boxing you need speed of reaction not just movement and bulk will slow that down. The bulk will take the snap out of your punches. Fast twitch fibres are a natural gift. Train hard to maximise what you may alreayd have buit trying to add them by doing heavy weights is a no brainer.

your sounding like an idiot,

lifting weights dose not make you bulky and robotic, im presuming youve never lifted weights because you ovbiosly dont have a clue,

ive been lifting for a few months now and my biceps and triceps have grows a small amount in size and my chest has become stronger, now i feel more ready to start the boxing season and improve my cardio with the extra strength i now have,

you could lift weigths for 5 years and may never become bulky , you will become stronger and quicker and more explosive , a stronger muscle is a quicker muscle,

the only time weight training affects boxing is when youve been doing it for ages and become to big you lose mobility and become bulky, will that ever happen to some one startiing to lift weights ,no? it happens after years of pure bodybuilding

Comment

/

my advice to thread starter,

type ''bodybuilding'' in google and go on the big super site that is all about weight lifting and bodybuilding articels

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael Benitez View Post

You obviously have neither theoretical background or hands on experience with this. I took over an experienced lightweight boxer a few years ago. Started him on the weights (amongst a bunch of other alterations in his workouts). Result? He got stronger, quicker, more explosive, and we moved him to featherweight. That is as practical, real world as it gets!

As for what you're saying about sprinters and reaction, well that's quite funny really. What is the most important aspect for a top class sprinter? Reaction time at the beginning of the race.

Also, you keep talking about bulk. Bulk is a result of diet first, and second training the right way. For bulking, the best rep range is 8-12, which means medium weight, not heavy. You can use heavy weights to bulk of course, but you'll need a large volume of work (many sets). When training a boxer, I keep the sets down (3-4) and the reps down. This, along with a boxer's diet, and all the other training (which is 80-90% of his work after all) he's doing, makes it next to impossible to gain any significant amount of muscle. What makes them stronger then? Neural adaptations. Look it up before you embarass yourself more with your total ignorance on the subject.

PS: If bulking up was so easy that a boxer would get too big just like that, why the **** is everybody else in the world talking about steroids and yearning for that magic pill that will make them big? In the real world it doesn't work like that. Get some theoretical knowledge, then some real world experience, or shut the **** up.
                      Last edited by PunchDrunk; 07-16-2008, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X