No announcement yet.

general weight lifting question....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rafael Benitez View Post
    Weights make you slow and they are for bums. Alot of modern techniqes are bollocks and have nothing to do with boxing. All this strenght and conditioning coach stuff is crap. Like Roger Mayweather said, most of it has nothing to do with boxing, ie. it is not sport specific training.

No old school trainer will tell you to do weights. Fat Hatton did weights and he ain't no speedy Gonzales. Alot of the all time greats stayed away from wieghts. Usually the more fluid fighters are weights free and I don't think this ia a coincidence. Ali and Jones Jr used no weights.
    If I can recall Mayweather used/uses weights, and he is very fast. Sugar Shane Mosley was extremely fast and he could bench press over 300+. Some people even say Mosley was just like Mayweather only he could do everything with power. There's a lot of boxers that lifts weights and are still fast.

Comment

Weights make you slow and they are for bums. Alot of modern techniqes are bollocks and have nothing to do with boxing. All this strenght and conditioning coach stuff is crap. Like Roger Mayweather said, most of it has nothing to do with boxing, ie. it is not sport specific training.

No old school trainer will tell you to do weights. Fat Hatton did weights and he ain't no speedy Gonzales. Alot of the all time greats stayed away from wieghts. Usually the more fluid fighters are weights free and I don't think this ia a coincidence. Ali and Jones Jr used no weights.
      roy jones jr did lift weights, how else do you expect a middelweight to go up to heavyweight and still look ript.

Comment

Yea I agree with sugar. You need to give your body at least one day where it does nothing. Just give every muscle group an all around rest. Even though your working different muscles every day, some exercises have muscle overlap because they depend on other muscle to stabilize the move.

i.e. push-ups, depending on the move, you'll get your back, shoulders, triceps, and chest.

But as long as your arm isn't bothering you, lifting weights should be fine. Some boxers train with weights, some do. Just find what works you for you that's all.

Comment

call me new school or whatever but i agree with landon. compound movements in the lower rep range work.

you could also consider 1 arm dumbell snatches and swings if they dont hurt ur arm. i imagine u could benefit from some corework as well

Comment

/

lol you dont have a clue and always post a load of ****e,

weights can be fantastic for boxing,
            my gym has trained loads of champions and always recomeds lifting weights to improve strength,

look at it this way,

person lifts weigths becomes very stong, starts boxing, becomes good powerfull boxer,
            has an advantage over a weak person who begins boxing,

Muscels are muscels, they help our body move, wen they grow they are stronger and can help our body move bigger things,

A Strong muscle is a more explosive muscle, explosive muscles are needed in boxing,

weights will simply make you a better athlete at any sport as muscels become quicker,stronger, and more explosive,

only timess weights can turn bad for boxing is wen you get so big you cant hardly move an lose mobility, but that wont happen.....unless your a body builder, but you box aswell,

im sure many boxers on here use weights i know a few do

Comment

Originally posted by Landon S View Post
              Keep to lower reps (3-5) to avoid extra less functional mass (unless you want it). You can still gain mass that way but you will gain far more strength in as small a package as possible. Use compound lifts like: benchpress, squats, deadlifts, lunges, overhead press, clean & press, snatches etc. Use common sense deciding the number of sets for your workout and whatever you do avoid the bodybuilder hypertrophy zone (8-12 reps usually). Its not gonna kill ya to do it bodybuilder style but it will have minimal benefits and possibly (most likely) be detrimental to your performance.

In case you dont believe me http://www.sports-fitness-advisor.co...-training.html

No offense david, you seem like an intelligent guy and probably know your stuff but getting mere size doesnt really help boxers. Rugby & football linemen on the other hand...
              ??????? your for getting about weight?

your basing it as if hes gona be lifting the same weight for 3-5 reps as he would for 8-12,

boxers should be doing light weights in the 8-12 rep range, as fast as they can,

3-5 range with heavy weights isnt good for boxing as it creates mass and size,

boxers want light weights and high reps,

however i dont think heavy weight low reps is too bad though.....

Comment

the weights you lift won't matter if you don't take in the nutrients to foster growth. if u control your diet you control your weight.

Comment

Personally, I lifted weights for 5 months before starting boxing. Right after entering the boxing gym, I decided to do strictly bodyweight exercises. I feel a lot stronger and more in shape because of it. But this is just me.

Comment

thanks for all the advice, but I really don't need to know how weight training carries over to boxing, I'm more interested in HOW to lift weights (although how is a somewhat broad term). What my question is, is do you lift every day doing muscle specific weight exercises and just change from day-to-day the muscle types your working as not to overwork them, or do you lift every other day no matter what groups you are working on. Waybe i was unclear, I apologize, but the advice was very helpful anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarShanep4p View Post
                      thanks for all the advice, but I really don't need to know how weight training carries over to boxing, I'm more interested in HOW to lift weights (although how is a somewhat broad term). What my question is, is do you lift every day doing muscle specific weight exercises and just change from day-to-day the muscle types your working as not to overwork them, or do you lift every other day no matter what groups you are working on. Waybe i was unclear, I apologize, but the advice was very helpful anyway.
                      WHen I lifted weights, I lifted 5 days a week, monday through friday. I didn't work the same muscles everyday, and I never really felt burnout. I don't feel like typing out all the exercises that I did, but, if you're interested, just PM me and I could send you some info.

Comment

Working...
                      X