• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PunchDrunk View Post
    Slippery shoes can take you out at any time
    ****in,Punch. haha.

Comment

No argumentation in what you just said whatsoever. Power is dependent on speed. If I throw a bullet lightly at you, it won't even bruise you. If the same bullet is accelerated by a gun, it'll go right through you. A truck hitting you at 2 mph might give you a good bump, but at 50 mph, it'll break every bone in your body, and send you flying.
      A punch thrown at your chin with correct leverage but no speed will be a tap or a push. As you accelerate the speed of that punch, you increase the power.

Edit: You're welcome to record one of your vids of you throwing a punch at 2 miles an hour that has the power to knock someone out, since power isn't dependent on speed.
      Now you are being ridiculous. I already said you only need enough speed to be able to jostle the brain sufficiently.

Never mind that the velocity of a punch moves on an eliptical curve due to the mechanics of the motion being created by two conjoined circular arks. This means that as the punch is extended past the half way point, the velocity decreases towards zero. Being exponential means that if the top speed of the punch was 100mph, and the speed 2 inches from the end was 10mph a punch with a speed of 50mph would result in a 7mph end speed.

It is obvious from your posts that your grasp on physics is rather limited, otherwise you would not be making such scientifically absurd statements.

Comment

No argumentation in what you just said whatsoever. Power is dependent on speed. If I throw a bullet lightly at you, it won't even bruise you. If the same bullet is accelerated by a gun, it'll go right through you. A truck hitting you at 2 mph might give you a good bump, but at 50 mph, it'll break every bone in your body, and send you flying.
        A punch thrown at your chin with correct leverage but no speed will be a tap or a push. As you accelerate the speed of that punch, you increase the power.

Edit: You're welcome to record one of your vids of you throwing a punch at 2 miles an hour that has the power to knock someone out, since power isn't dependent on speed.
        If you are instead trying to say that imparting a greater rotational velocity upon the skull of your opponent = greater power, then yes, you are correct, but that is not the argument you are making.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
          Now you are being ridiculous. I already said you only need enough speed to be able to jostle the brain sufficiently.

Never mind that the velocity of a punch moves on an eliptical curve due to the mechanics of the motion being created by two conjoined circular arks. This means that as the punch is extended past the half way point, the velocity decreases towards zero. Being exponential means that if the top speed of the punch was 100mph, and the speed 2 inches from the end was 10mph a punch with a speed of 50mph would result in a 7mph end speed.

It is obvious from your posts that your grasp on physics is rather limited, otherwise you would not be making such scientifically absurd statements.
          You're so full of ****, it's not even funny. A punch does not decelarate past the halfway point, it accelerates all the way, until the arm can extend no longer. The punch, if correctly timed and executed, is at it's peak acceleration at the moment of impact. That is why people hurt their elbows when expecting to hit something, but miss.

It is obvious on your posts, that you'r grasp on punching technique, as well as physics, is as overrated by yourself as your boxing ability, otherwise you wouldn't be spewing so much absolute nonsense.

Nice try at a bluff, but you failed miserably. You're a bull**** artist, nothing more.

PS: You still can't throw a 2 mph KO punch.
          Last edited by PunchDrunk; 07-07-2008, 10:04 PM.

Comment

You're so full of ****, it's not even funny. A punch does not decelarate past the halfway point, it accelerates all the way, until the arm can extend no longer. The punch, if correctly timed and executed, is at it's peak acceleration at the moment of impact. That is why people hurt their elbows when expecting to hit something, but miss.

Nice try at a bluff, but you failed miserably. You're a bull**** artist, nothing more.
            No, that is not true. The mean velocity at the fist decreases as the arm becomes more and more extended. It is the same reason why as scissor jack has more leverage at the top of its motion.

While the speed along the circular ark does increase throughout the punch, the translated forward velocity decreases towards zero along an elliptical path.

Take a free spinning wheel for example. While the lateral velocity relative to the ground as measured from the top and bottom of the wheel might be 15mph, the lateral velocity at the front and back of the wheel will always be zero.

While the arm is a more complex structure than a simple free spinning wheel, the principle is the same. The lateral velocity falls off the close you get towards maximum extension (front of the wheel)

Just a heads up, getting into a physics debate with someone who could lecture at length on the finer points of special relativity is not the best idea you would have ever had.
            Last edited by !! Shawn; 07-07-2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

No, that is not true. The mean velocity at the fist decreases as the arm becomes more and more extended. It is the same reason why as scissor jack has more leverage at the top of its motion. http://i28.tinypic.com/10o4ak7.jpg

While the speed along the circular ark does increase throughout the punch, the translated forward velocity decreases towards zero along an elliptical path.

Take a free spinning wheel for example. While the lateral velocity relative to the ground as measured from the top and bottom of the wheel might be 15mph, the lateral velocity at the front and back of the wheel will always be zero.

While the arm is a more complex structure than a simple free spinning wheel, the principle is the same. The lateral velocity falls off the close you get towards maximum extension (front of the wheel)

Just a heads up, getting into a physics debate with someone who could lecture at length on the finer points of special relativity is not the best idea you would have ever had.
              That is the sorriest attempt at bul****ting I have ever read. The simple fact remains that the fist has to be accelerated through the target to have any effect. Everything else you just said is irrelevant to that.

Comment

Lol.. how did this even start... I miss so much after just a few days .

Comment

That is the sorriest attempt at bul****ting I have ever read. The simple fact remains that the fist has to be accelerated through the target to have any effect. Everything else you just said is irrelevant to that.
                  Another misstatement by you. The fist has to be driven through the target. I have already established that the fist does not accelerate all the way.

You are simply arguing semantics with me.

I know you are trying to say that imparting velocity upon your opponents head is what is important, but you are frivolously attempting to argue with me about well documented physics.

Comment

Another misstatement by you. The fist has to be driven through the target. I have already established that the fist does not accelerate all the way.

You are simply arguing semantics with me.

I know you are trying to say that imparting velocity upon your opponents head is what is important, but you are frivolously attempting to argue with me about well documented physics.
                    You have in no way, shape or form established anything. You have claimed it, nothing more.

You are the one trying to bull**** your way out of a losing argument by changing the subject to wheels, "circular arks" and other irrelevant noise. Anyone who has ever thrown a punch knows that it is accelerated through or into the target (heck even the guy who drew my avatar knew that!). It is also common sense that a correctly executed punch will have more power at a higher speed. Hence power is dependent on speed. That is all I have to say, feel free to talk more bull**** to divert attention from the fact that you're wrong. We both know that is all you're doing.

Comment

You have in no way, shape or form established anything. You have claimed it, nothing more.

You are the one trying to bull**** your way out of a losing argument by changing the subject to wheels, "circular arks" and other irrelevant noise. Anyone who has ever thrown a punch knows that it is accelerated through or into the target (heck even the guy who drew my avatar knew that!). It is also common sense that a correctly executed punch will have more power at a higher speed. Hence power is dependent on speed. That is all I have to say, feel free to talk more bull**** to divert attention from the fact that you're wrong. We both know that is all you're doing.
                      Negative. I know concepts such as exponential fall off in velocity are difficult for you to comprehend, but just claiming that they are irrelevant does not make them so.

You chose to argue with me about the subtle physics involved in a punch. You got in over your head. Deal with it.

I already said I know what you are trying to convey, and essentially that is correct, imparting a higher velocity to your opponents head is better.

However, you would not accept that statement and involved yourself in a physics debate that you are ill equipped to compete in.

You resort to broad sweeping generalizations such as everyone that has ever thrown a punch knows. I have conceded the point because I know what you are trying to convey and arguing physics with someone who does not understands physics is a waste of my time and yours.

I know your balls are tinny and you have a bigger god complex than I do, so we will have to agree to disagree even though I conceded the point but you are not smart enough to realize that.

Comment

Working...
                      X