No announcement yet.

Sean Sherk Responds to Floyd Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bbos View Post
    your beginning to contrict yourself you said earlier "This is why mma encompases such board catagories" and thats exactly so, one can take any combination of just two forms of combat and that would be considered MIXED martial arts,

if one is well versed in the two areas then I already consider them as mmgay, sure you can train them together and IMPROVE on whats they already know, so by your defintion a mma fighter is only considered so when he seeks to improve what he already knows...LOL semetics has no basis for argument.

again I didnt train to IMPROVE on what I already know but I can throw my conbinations then immediatly follow with a shot to take it to the ground if needed to transition to wrestling with a post, then to cradle and half nelson and pin him on his back, granted I rather remain stand up, but hey thats not mixed martial arts, its mixed fightin style right?
    How am I contradicting myself. It WOULD be Mixed martial arts if you combine arts. Combine is the key word, knowing two but not using them together does not make you an MMA fight. To your last paragraph no it would be MMA because you are allowed to use all skills you posses, and will most likely utilize more than one. If not then you are a incomplete MMA fighter. You should then instead box because if you do not utilize other skills most likely you will find your match even if you precede that match with a streak of wins.

I can't really give a definition of a MMA fighter in the way I want to convey. Maybe someone who trains MMA would be an mma fighter? Better, idk?

But saying someone who does wrestling and boxing separately can be considered an MMA fighter is not at all truthful. MMA is an art which was MEANT to utilize techniques from your arsenal of mixed tactics/styles/etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phenomkidd View Post
      How am I contradicting myself. It WOULD be Mixed martial arts if you combine arts. Combine is the key word, knowing two but not using them together does not make you an MMA fight. To your last paragraph no it would be MMA because you are allowed to use all skills you posses, and will most likely utilize more than one. If not then you are a incomplete MMA fighter. You should then instead box because if you do not utilize other skills most likely you will find your match even if you precede that match with a streak of wins.

I can't really give a definition of a MMA fighter in the way I want to convey. Maybe someone who trains MMA would be an mma fighter? Better, idk?

But saying someone who does wrestling and boxing separately can be considered an MMA fighter is not at all truthful. MMA is an art which was MEANT to utilize techniques from your arsenal of mixed tactics/styles/etc.
      a person who practice wrestling and boxing separatley can and is capable of puting both skill sets to work WITHOUT proper senergy training, granted it wont be as EFFECTIVE is still a mma, a MMA fighter who is less polished is still a mma fighter.

mixed martial arts is about what you know, now if I was purely a boxer or I train solely in wrestling and I do not possess the knowledge of the other then I wouldn't be a mixed martial artist. But in my case I know both skills, I can use both skills simultaneously and in complementarity, and I damn well can use both in a cage fight, who the hell are you to say im not a mixed martial artist?

again your trying to give a very STRICT and NARROW defintion of mma and using semantics for your argument, but you also say that mma encompass a very BOARD category of nearly all forms of combat art, that is contradiction.
      Last edited by bbos; 07-01-2009, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bbos View Post
        a person who practice wrestling and boxing separatley can and is capable of puting both skill sets to work WITHOUT proper senergy training, granted it wont be as EFFECTIVE is still a mma, a MMA fighter who is less polished is still a mma fighter.

mixed martial arts is about what you know, now if I was purely a boxer or I train solely in wrestling and I do not possess the knowledge of the other then I wouldn't be a mixed martial artist. But in my case I know both skills, I can use both skills simultaneously and in complementarity, and I damn well can use both in a cage fight, who the hell are you to say im not a mixed martial artist?

again your trying to give a very STRICT and NARROW defintion of mma and using semantics for your argument, but you also say that mma encompass a very BOARD category of nearly all forms of combat art, that is contradiction.
        I'm not I'm trying to define what constitutes a Mixed Martial ARTIST, not Mixed Martial ARTS. Mixed Martial Arts is self explanatory, a combination of many arts. I guess in simplest terms, a mixed martial artist is a practitioner of Mixed Martial Arts.

You are right, like I already said. But like I also said being CAPABLE doesn't make you a mixed martial artist. Go out there and do it, then you are one. If a person can sprint fast and is a good high jumper, is he a football player. Both are aspects of it but not the total package.

Comment

• I know Tai Chi and Wing Chun and i use my enhanced chi flow from praticing tai chi to assist in cutting off your wind pipe and stopping your heart with wing chun. Does that make me a Mixed Martial Artist? I know boxing too but my chi flow dosent really help with that.

I go to boxing classes in a MMA school tons of people that do ju ju ju jitsu Ill wrestle with them but my goal isnt to wrestle its to get taken down and get back on my feet which is incrediably easy i think in the past 3 months wrestling once a week for an hour i think ive been submitted 3 times and i know they were all chokes.

Is it normally easy to get out of a take down and attempted submission? has any one here wrestled some one that wasnt trying to wrestle back and instead just trying to get on their feet and noticed how hard it is to keep them on the ground? Or is it really difficult even if your just trying to get on your feet and i just have mad skills with out ever pratcing ju ju ju ju ju jitsu in my life?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ylem122 View Post
            I know Tai Chi and Wing Chun and i use my enhanced chi flow from praticing tai chi to assist in cutting off your wind pipe and stopping your heart with wing chun. Does that make me a Mixed Martial Artist? I know boxing too but my chi flow dosent really help with that.

I go to boxing classes in a MMA school tons of people that do ju ju ju jitsu Ill wrestle with them but my goal isnt to wrestle its to get taken down and get back on my feet which is incrediably easy i think in the past 3 months wrestling once a week for an hour i think ive been submitted 3 times and i know they were all chokes.

Is it normally easy to get out of a take down and attempted submission? has any one here wrestled some one that wasnt trying to wrestle back and instead just trying to get on their feet and noticed how hard it is to keep them on the ground? Or is it really difficult even if your just trying to get on your feet and i just have mad skills with out ever pratcing ju ju ju ju ju jitsu in my life?
            did you say it is EASY to stand back up??? It really depends on the guy holding you down i guess...

Comment

• Yeah quite easy just relax wriggle around alittle and poof im out of the wrestling and getting back on my feet might as well push the person back down on the ground while im at it. im at 200 ive wrestled people 180 - 240 from no jujitsu experience - 4 ranks in (not quite sure of belt colors) .

Most the time its quite easy of course some times im flexing my neck as hard as i can and barely prying open the lock before i would have to tap. Though if it were a real match i would go unconscious before i would tap

Comment

• Originally posted by Wanderlei_Silva View Post
                So every striker in MMA just throws arm punches and has no power? Nice.

I guarantee Rampage Jackson and Shane Carwin have more KO power than almost any boxer
                im not saying that dont know how to throw a punch im saying that they are not trained only in boxing they train in touching each other and kicking and takin down

LOL on the last thing you said about jackson

Comment

The reason more younger people are wearing Tapout and Affliction is because MMA crushes the 18 and older demographic. MMA appeals to the younger crowds more than boxing.

While will agree that wearing it makes you look like a giant tool (especially if you don't fight or train) it's more proof that MMA is becoming more and more mainstream and rising in popularity all the time.

The sport is infectious.

Say what you want about it being gay, it's not going anywhere and you'll still be sitting where you are complaining about it.
                  im 19 and my brother is 16 and he and we have many friends that are around are age that prefer watching boxing than mma and many are fans of boxing and enjoy it,
                  and ive asked many times to people that watch mma and boxing which is more enjoyable and they say boxing, because it takes actual skill to do what they do but they watch mma because it's the same as watching two dumb thugs in a street fight

Comment

• Originally posted by ji23 View Post
                    im 19 and my brother is 16 and he and we have many friends that are around are age that prefer watching boxing than mma and many are fans of boxing and enjoy it,
                    and ive asked many times to people that watch mma and boxing which is more enjoyable and they say boxing, because it takes actual skill to do what they do but they watch mma because it's the same as watching two dumb thugs in a street fight
                    Oh well we are happy to have the opinions of your ******ed friends. They both take skill. MMA takes more skill and the street fighting moniker is absolutely ridiculous. I guess anybody at a bar who squabbles can beat the **** out of a phenomenal fighter and athlete like Georges St. Pierre.

I guess MMA was is filled with angry White thugs and drunks who hang out in bars.

Go **** yourself and stop bumping this thread. It's been beat to death.

They both take skill. Your ******ed friend enjoy boxing more because people like you feed them the moniker than it takes no skill and that grappling=dry humping.

Again, take a step back and **** your own face

Comment

Still in steadfast denial. I said boxing alone is ineffective when compare to Mixed Martial Arts, not ineffective period.

I appreciate boxing and it's fighters and the sport. I love both sports. I'm sorry you don't like MMA but why do you continue to come in here and post in an MMA related thread?

Are you really that pathetic that you have to come in here and desperately defend boxing like it's about to be wiped off the face of the planet?

I took up Thai Boxing because it's a more well rounded stand-up art and it's more effective in self defense scenarios and competition.

I still don't see the reason for boxing elitists to continue bashing MMA when it isn't even directly effecting how boxing does.

If you want to box, then box. But don't come in here bashing a sport and it's fighters that are 10x the athlete and fighter you'll ever be
                      you are in a boxing website what did you expect from people that love boxing which is a real sport with real athletes
                      mma fighters are usually immature disrespectful dudes that want to be called tough and want to intimidate people with just the fact that they train in mma and they get in many street fights because they have no discipline
                      boxers are humble people that love their sport and have respect and discipline they don't go around pickin fight because they know what they are capable of doing and don't want to hurt people outside the ring because to them it is a SPORT

Comment

Working...
                      X