No announcement yet.

Sean Sherk Responds to Floyd Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bbos View Post
    you must suck at boxing so you get discouraged and attempted to find another form of fighting, then start bashing on how ineffective boxing is LOL, truth is boxing is a pure demonstrating of altheltism and finess coupled with the requirement of speed, coordination and reflexes, Im sorry you lack natural talent so you resort to bgaygay, something that takes less natural abilities and relies more so on technique.

I however am a born athelete, I'm explosive, incredibly fast and carry the power to match, I excelled in boxing and have been doing so for 5 long years now, I am perfecting the art of punching and I can attest that it is one of the most effective, agile, powerful/explosive yet simple method of fighting.

I have wrestled in highschool for 4 years and 2 years in division 2 college, so I have the mma back ground. I watched UFC since its inception, I even became fond of it for a year or two but the trend got boring fast, compared to boxing, mmgay was just ugly to watch, their fighters exhibit poor striking abilities compared to boxers and if i want to watch world class wrestling I can turn to NCAA nationals.

There is a reason why mmgay fighters fight for less money.

Still in steadfast denial. I said boxing alone is ineffective when compare to Mixed Martial Arts, not ineffective period.

I appreciate boxing and it's fighters and the sport. I love both sports. I'm sorry you don't like MMA but why do you continue to come in here and post in an MMA related thread?

Are you really that pathetic that you have to come in here and desperately defend boxing like it's about to be wiped off the face of the planet?

I took up Thai Boxing because it's a more well rounded stand-up art and it's more effective in self defense scenarios and competition.

I still don't see the reason for boxing elitists to continue bashing MMA when it isn't even directly effecting how boxing does.

If you want to box, then box. But don't come in here bashing a sport and it's fighters that are 10x the athlete and fighter you'll ever be

Comment

• Originally posted by Wanderlei_Silva View Post
      It's not naive. I've been training in some type of combat sport since I was 9 years old when I started Shotokan Karate, picked up Thai Boxing, Wrestling, BJJ and Judo along the way.

I sparred 5x5 minute rounds with 30 second breaks between rounds @ 75% rate. So punches, kicks, knees aren't with full power but they still have some sting to them. I had a fresh opponent I believe on the 1st, 3rd and 5th round if I remember correctly. What does it matter what the level of competition was?

Sorry you don't believe me. You are trying desperately hard to convince yourself that boxing is better requires more talent and more skill. You're a blind hater. Don't believe me then.

You still wouldn't last 5x5 minute rounds.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

ps

That still doesn't take away from in the 20 years history of MMA in some form or another be it Pride, Pankration, UFC the deaths are minimal if not, non-existant.

Boxing does require more skill, are you stupid? you can only use your fists, that means you have to literally be better than the other person at one thing.

In MMA if the one person is better at kicking and punching you can just head to the ground and hope for success.

This is why the best MMA fighter has 0 chance against the best boxer in a boxing ring, yet a boxer still has a small chance in an MMA ring.

It is very rare in a boxing match that a boxer wins with a lucky punch, (not a one punch ko, a lucky punch) I can think of Julian jacksons KO over Herol Graham.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2swell k-wells View Post
        Alot of fighters in the UFC and PRIDE are more wellknown then any boxer up to date. And they guy trying to get more attention they he already has is Floyd Mayweather...bringing up beating any fighter in UFC. Even James Toney is bringing up UFC..

A few days ago James “Lights Out” Toney appeared on Boxing Confidential Radio. For those of you who might not have been able to access the audio, here are some of the highlights from Toney’s appearance.

On UFC…

“UFC is not ready for someone like me. I am too violent.”

“If they want to make it boxer vs. UFC, if Dana White has the balls, like he does on TV, he can call Dan Goossen and we can make it happen. I will fight Randy Couture or Chuck Lindell.”

“99 percent of boxers who would go in UFC would probably get their ass whooped. But I am one percent, I never got my ass whooped.”

Wow What a guy hey...Put him against chuck and that would be nice to see.

lmao..more well known...

2.4 million ppv's thats more than 2 of the biggest ufc ppv's

Comment

you must suck at boxing so you get discouraged and attempted to find another form of fighting, then start bashing on how ineffective boxing is LOL, truth is boxing is a pure demonstrating of altheltism and finess coupled with the requirement of speed, coordination and reflexes, Im sorry you lack natural talent so you resort to bgaygay, something that takes less natural abilities and relies more so on technique.

I however am a born athelete, I'm explosive, incredibly fast and carry the power to match, I excelled in boxing and have been doing so for 5 long years now, I am perfecting the art of punching and I can attest that it is one of the most effective, agile, powerful/explosive yet simple method of fighting.

I have wrestled in highschool for 4 years and 2 years in division 2 college, so I have the mma back ground. I watched UFC since its inception, I even became fond of it for a year or two but the trend got boring fast, compared to boxing, mmgay was just ugly to watch, their fighters exhibit poor striking abilities compared to boxers and if i want to watch world class wrestling I can turn to NCAA nationals.

There is a reason why mmgay fighters fight for less money.
          Wrestling and boxing doesn't give you an MMA background. Since when does having better technique = bad? Are you claiming that a good boxer should prioritize athleticism over technique? Most effective way of fighting? In what? The streets? No, you'll probably get stabbed, jumped, or shot. In a organized fight? Thats where MMA comes in, which is very versatile in its gallery of moves. Also not all boxers have to be the most athletic beings on the planet, in fact most aren't if you wanna compare them to Decathletes and the like. I like boxing and I like mma, I am not bashing either I'm merely opening you up to a different point of view. MMA athletes naturally have more versatility in a fight due to their training, the ability is take it down to the ground is key, the ability to control the opponent is key in securing a submission or maintaining posture for ground and pound.

MMA fighters garner less money because the sport is still relatively young. It is being injected into the mainstream culture for better or for worse, to the point where I see the father of someone wearing an Affliction shirt. It also has its downfalls with the stupid teenagers who think they're the next GSP or Anderson Silva.

Also kicking range is important I would say in defeating a boxer, as well as timing for a take down. Boxers are remarkable athletes and have such greater ability in the punching department its simple and clear to say a boxer would out-punch an MMA fighter any day most likely. But MMA is compromised of several different arts which are effective in the cage to mesh together and form an effective style of fighting. Theres no reason why you should hate MMA or hate boxing, noone's saying pick one or the other. The only reason I can see for disliking it is because someone would think the other art is taking its steam. Boxing is amazing, MMA is amazing. Both GREAT sports with GREAT athletes.

Comment

• here we go again......
            Boxing is one aspect of MMA.
            Can it be used to win a MMA match? Of cos it can! but it depends of how your opponent fights. I am not sure how a boxer will deliver his punch after receiving 10 kicks on his leading leg. How is he defending a take down if ALL he knows is boxing.

Beside beating someone up with punches, kicks etc...... There is one big difference in Boxing and MMA. If you are dropped in boxing, you are given a 10 sec count to get up and there is also a standing 8 count occasionally. That can give you some time to recover..... not that its a lot. Hell, you can even take a knee and the ref will start counting, while the fight hauls.

In MMA, the moment you are dropped, your opponent will rain punches and elbows on your skull.... and most likely ending the match

I know boxing fans hate the rolling and hugging of mma matches.... but boxing matches also got their share of hugging. Look at some of Hatton's matches.

Anyway, i prefer to train in Boxing but i watch both sports
            Last edited by Pecs; 07-01-2009, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• After reading this thread...the only phrase that comes to mind...is a bunch of guys saying..

my dad can beat up your dad

do what you love...appreciate and respect all combat arts...don't disrespect others, even if you see someone disrespecting your sport.

life's too short to argue over bull**** like this. it's like football players arguing with rugby players over which sport is harder. who gives a rat's ass.

just do what you love

Comment

• Originally posted by Ylem122 View Post
                "Id be on my feet arm hanging" aka snapped limb

"As long as im conscious im going to fight" infers that i have yet to be choked out and in fact that you are correct and i would not be able to fight if i was unconscious

if it was between submitting or sacraficing my arm for a chance back on my feet i would take my chances on my feet with the hanging arm i still might not be able to win but i would take that chance. maybe im the idiot if i lose but whos to say i lose.
                Kazushi Sakuraba says you lose..

Comment

• Originally posted by Dynamite Glove View Post
                  After reading this thread...the only phrase that comes to mind...is a bunch of guys saying..

my dad can beat up your dad

do what you love...appreciate and respect all combat arts...don't disrespect others, even if you see someone disrespecting your sport.

life's too short to argue over bull**** like this. it's like football players arguing with rugby players over which sport is harder. who gives a rat's ass.

just do what you love
                  Indeed, .

Comment

• Originally posted by Wanderlei_Silva View Post
                    Still in steadfast denial. I said boxing alone is ineffective when compare to Mixed Martial Arts, not ineffective period.

I appreciate boxing and it's fighters and the sport. I love both sports. I'm sorry you don't like MMA but why do you continue to come in here and post in an MMA related thread?

Are you really that pathetic that you have to come in here and desperately defend boxing like it's about to be wiped off the face of the planet?

I took up Thai Boxing because it's a more well rounded stand-up art and it's more effective in self defense scenarios and competition.

I still don't see the reason for boxing elitists to continue bashing MMA when it isn't even directly effecting how boxing does.

If you want to box, then box. But don't come in here bashing a sport and it's fighters that are 10x the athlete and fighter you'll ever be
                    If you had any reading comprehension skills you would realize that I was not "pathetically" defending boxing, I am comparing boxing to mmgay. its effectiveness in real life along with it appeal to audiances and in my humble opinion, I think boxing is superior in both aspects. my points were all stated in the previous post. and boxing is only ineffective vs mmgay when the fight goes to the ground.

I tried to appreciate MMgay...along with my friends but they too quickly saw through its facade, people who i associate with that enjoy mmgay are usually noob fighters who wants to appear tough more so then they want to practice

thai boxing more effective in the streets? kicks leaves one off balance, so good luck when there is more then one person involved, let alone that. fighting in the clinch in a street fight hmmmm...LOL im sure u been in a lot of street fights. and please indulge me on how a muy thai competition is more effective then a boxing match in a pure competition sense.

no where in any of my posts did I ever say boxing is a dying sport, quite the contrary, but thanks for revealing your opinion of boxing, a person who never boxed comes on a boxing forum, bashes boxing and claims its dying, can you say hypocrite?

and don't call me a boxing elitest nor put words in my mouth sir because that makes you look like an idiot who is running out of arguments. I been on both side of the fence, at one point in space and time, I was a mmgay fan, since the first season of the ultimate fighter I recall.

so thanks again for you invalid and incongrunent response to my post.
                    Last edited by bbos; 07-01-2009, 09:01 PM.

Comment

If you had any reading comprehension skills you would realize that I was not "pathetically" defending boxing, I am comparing boxing to mmgay. its effectiveness in real life along with it appeal to audiances and in my humble opinion, I think boxing is superior in both aspects. my points were all stated in the previous post. and boxing is only ineffective vs mmgay when the fight goes to the ground.

I tried to appreciate MMgay...along with my friends but they too quickly saw through its facade, people who i associate with that enjoy mmgay are usually noob fighters who wants to appear tough more so then they want to practice

thai boxing more effective in the streets? kicks leaves one off balance, so good luck when there is more then one person involved, let alone that. fighting in the clinch in a street fight hmmmm...LOL im sure u been in a lot of street fights. and please indulge me on how a muy thai competition is more effective then a boxing match in a pure competition sense.

no where in any of my posts did I ever say boxing is a dying sport, quite the contrary, but thanks for revealing your opinion of boxing, a person who never boxed comes on a boxing forum, bashes boxing and claims its dying, can you say hypocrite?

and don't call me a boxing elitest nor put words in my mouth sir because that makes you look like an idiot who is running out of arguments. I been on both side of the fence, at one point in space and time, I was a mmgay fan, since the first season of the ultimate fighter I recall.

so thanks again for you invalid and incongrunent response to my post.
                      Saying you've been a fan since the first TUF doesn't really mean much as it was catered to the casual viewer in an attempt to garner fans for the sport and organization. Even I guess "seasoned" fans sometimes like to point out TUF fans are the annoying, less knowledgeable of the sport. It appears that you have some amount of bias though because you come off to inherently hate MMA and say things such as "saw through its facade" as if it had try to deceive you. Finally you cannot restrain the effectiveness of the art into segments but instead as a whole. As a whole MMA is very effective especially when taken down. The ground brings a whole, new, large aspect to the fight; Which in turn increases your versatility, options, and chances to win. But I'm sure (serious) fighters of both sports do not train to beat up people on the street (though they have the tools to do so) so this argument is pointless and means nothing. I love both sports, as well as several other combat sports. Almost all of them are interesting and I wouldn't mind trying even once. You seem to hate BJJ and think it sucks, if someone had you in a crucifix position where you are unable to protect your head and all your seeing is elbows and a fist is it still gay?

Like I said I do not hate either sport, I love both. I'm just trying to broaden your view. Like the guy I quoted said, respect em all and do what you love.

Comment

Working...
                      X