No announcement yet.

Josh Kelly One of the Most Overhyped Prospects in Recent Memory

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh Kelly One of the Most Overhyped Prospects in Recent Memory

Not to kick the man when he is down, but this guy got a lot of hype after the Olympics but he never showed anything in the pro game to warrant the hype. His style is not built for the pro game and simply put doesn't have enough special qualities to fight the way he does. Fighters that got away with their hands down were dynamic fighters such as Prince Naseem and RJJ. Kelly on the other hand is certainly not that and hasn't improved one bit since turning pro.

He is likely never to get past domestic level. Let's be honest, he was very fortunate to get the draw against Robinson in a fight damn near everyone thought he lost.

The announcers are talking about Kelly learning from this fight and rebuilding but that's just not going to happen. He just doesn't have "it."

I I think Conor Benn would have beaten Kelly as well

Comment

Never understood why anyone rated him.

Looks terrible to me and always has.

All style no substance.

Comment

Josh started losing when he started showboating, showed an excellent jab and movement was schooling his opponent . He lost because of inexperienced, not his lack of skill sets .

Comment

Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post
          Josh started losing when he started showboating, showed an excellent jab and movement was schooling his opponent . He lost because of inexperienced, not his lack of skill sets .
          Did you watch the Robinson fight? He fights in spurts and looks flashy and nice for a minute here and there but that's it. Doesn't have the stamina, doesn't have the power nor are his reflexes as good as he thinks they are. Got broken down by a B level fighter. Ennis and Ortiz are LEVELS above him and just a few years ago, some were saying Kelly was better than all the prospects at 147. Heck, you had Hearn wanting Danny Garcia in 2019. Guy just isn't very good period.

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Never understood why anyone rated him.

Looks terrible to me and always has.

All style no substance.
          That's exactly what it is. There's very little substance in his game. When he tried to sit down and trade, he got drowned. I have no idea what he was trying to do when he was trying to push Avaneysan back while barely throwing.

The lack of inside game is a weakness of a lot of Brits and Kelly is no exception. Don't see it at all with him.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
            Did you watch the Robinson fight? He fights in spurts and looks flashy and nice for a minute here and there but that's it. Doesn't have the stamina, doesn't have the power nor are his reflexes as good as he thinks they are. Got broken down by a B level fighter. Ennis and Ortiz are LEVELS above him and just a few years ago, some were saying Kelly was better than all the prospects at 147. Heck, you had Hearn wanting Danny Garcia in 2019. Guy just isn't very good period.

That's exactly what it is. There's very little substance in his game. When he tried to sit down and trade, he got drowned. I have no idea what he was trying to do when he was trying to push Avaneysan back while barely throwing.

The lack of inside game is a weakness of a lot of Brits and Kelly is no exception. Don't see it at all with him.
            Josh has only 10 fights going into tonight ,the odds were close to 50/50.

https://box.live/boxing-betting/kell...vanesyan-odds/

Can you please explain how he’s overated against a seasoned top guy coming in with 4 stoppage wins with logic ? Probably not because there would be no reason to do it but common sense doesn’t come from you that I’ve really seen on here ,no matter who won you were ready to post an overated thread . Ha
            Last edited by REDEEMER; 02-20-2021, 06:24 PM.

Comment

All flash and no real substance.

Tbh I don't see this supposed great talent people allude to. He has a really poor ring I.Q & I can't wrap my head around why he or anyone thinks he is slick he gets hit a scary amount and has seriously average reflexes. I think its just so excessive it throws guys off at a low level and makes them a little hesitant allowing him more success than he should be having really.

I'm not saying he is void of talent or natural ability but its largely smoke and mirrors.

It looks good and you could probably make him look outstanding with a highlight reel but for all he does there is little that has any real purpose or even logic behind it.

Weird analogy but its like a football freestyler looks fantastic doing all these tricks but you put them into an actual match with quality footballers and its a whole different story.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post

Damn can you imagine if they had put him in with DSG?

Comment

He could only ever keep up the “RJJ” style for a couple of rounds before he gassed, and even then he’s getting tagged.

If he had even a bit of pop then opponents would be wary of those counters, but he got walked down so easily. Probably too late to change his style, and his style absolutely does not work for him.

Comment

I totally agree with you, I saw that mindsmash guy doing a video on him like 2 years ago, and am like “This guy hasn’t fought anyone and would be in trouble with his hands down, flashy wannabe style” once they put him in with someone who can punch back, and the Ray Robinson fight was the first thing that brought that reality to the surface.

Comment

Working...
                    X