Collapse
No announcement yet.

Josh Kelly One of the Most Overhyped Prospects in Recent Memory

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel like his hype was very UK-centric. And I think he lost a lot of hype with that Ray Robinson draw awhile back. I thought he lost THAT fight, but now that he's got an official L ding dong the PBK hype is dead.

Comment

I think Kelly has the talent but nobody has brought it out of him. Give him a defensive coach and he would dominate. With that speed, natural elusiveness and ability to relax he should be able to win rounds easy but instead Booth has him blowing himself out and loading up on counters too early.

Davison, McGuigan or Ingle would do a much better job for him than Booth.

Comment

He had some hype before the robinson fight, but since then no one really rated him as a standout prospect anymore. He has some good attributes, but he cant overcome his flaws. Too fragile and slows down too quickly to use that boxing style, not enough power to keep opponents from walking him down.

Comment

The only thing I really remember about Josh Kelly before tonight is him hitting some dude with like 10 left hooks in a row to put him down.

And I sort of think it is the main reason he got to this fight so quickly! Because it looked like something.

On the other hand. How do you get hit with 10 hooks in a row?

Look I've never set foot in a ring but if that happens to you you've got to call it a day.

Kelly obviously has some talent but he gets hit loads, apparently blows up after 4 rounds, so I dunno where he goes. For me I would suggest doing something else.

I sort of feel the same about Connor Benn could happen eventually . I think he's done a great job so far and is all heart but I feel like he will find his level pretty soon because he gets hit lots and then they would have to think is the money good enough and would it be worth the lumps?

Comment

Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post
            Josh has only 10 fights going into tonight ,the odds were close to 50/50.

https://box.live/boxing-betting/kell...vanesyan-odds/

Can you please explain how he's overated against a seasoned top guy coming in with 4 stoppage wins with logic ? Probably not because there would be no reason to do it but common sense doesn't come from you that I've really seen on here ,no matter who won you were ready to post an overated thread . Ha
            Seasoned top guy coming in with 4 stoppage wins? Really? And 10 fights coming in? He's 26 years old, when exactly did you expect him to start picking it up with his career? When he is 20 fights in and is over 30 years old?

This guy after his first few fights was getting tons of hype and quite a few people thought he was going to be the next big thing at WW. Funny how you are talking about him being 10 fights in and fighting a seasoned pro when TWO years ago you had Hearn saying the goal was to fight someone like Danny Garcia LAST YEAR.

The odds of this fight were close because of his performance against Robinson. The hype started to die down after that fight but that doesn't mean he wasn't a hyped up prospect....Because he absolutely was. When you get a fortunate decision over someone like Robinson, of course the hype will down and now after this TKO loss, it will be non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishOxide View Post
              I think Kelly has the talent but nobody has brought it out of him. Give him a defensive coach and he would dominate. With that speed, natural elusiveness and ability to relax he should be able to win rounds easy but instead Booth has him blowing himself out and loading up on counters too early.

Davison, McGuigan or Ingle would do a much better job for him than Booth.
              I don't see it. But if he wants to implement this style, then he's going to need to be sparring some top quality fighters. Maybe he can come to the states and spar at gyms like Robert Garcia's or even Freddie Roach's. He lacks an inside game and doesn't have the power to keep fighters off of him. Prince Naseem could put your lights out with one shot so he was more times than none able to dictate the pace of the fight. Kelly on the other hand will continue letting his opponents gain more and more confidence as the fight goes on and will get broken down by the top guys, or even fringe contenders like Avaneysan.

Comment

Josh "Malignaggi" Kellly. Has good hand, head, and foot speed, but combined with the power of Paulie "Hands of Pasta" Malignaggi makes him a KO waiting to happen.

He DOES look like Tom Cruise though. Maybe a movie career is possible, but he isn't moving anywhere in his boxing division beyond local UK clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  I feel like his hype was very UK-centric. And I think he lost a lot of hype with that Ray Robinson draw awhile back. I thought he lost THAT fight, but now that he's got an official L ding dong the PBK hype is dead.
                  Absolutely, the hype died down big time after the Robinson performance where most felt he lost that fight.

Before that though? He was seen as a soon to be world champion and one his promoter thought could challenge the top WWs five fights into his career.

Comment

I'm interested in seeing how he bounces back from this defeat. Booth has him fighting exactly like Groves, but IDK how well that style actually suits him. With the exception of the cut that was probably draining his gas-tank quicker than usual, he does too much extra shxt in there that zaps his energy. Groves had a similar issue when he was Booth, correct me if I'm wrong. Against a pressure style, he was bound to unravel.

Comment

Working...
                    X