Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Jamal James Elevated To WBA "World" Welterweight Titlist, Ordered To Next Face Radzhab Butaev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
    How do fighters like Butaev get in these positions with only 13 fights and 10 KOs, but Boots Ennis is not, with 26 fights and 24 KOs?
    Ennis isnt ranked by WBA, and they are in the same position more or less, Ennis was fighting for the IBO title 2 month ago

Comment

Didn't WBA head Mendoza promise to eliminate the multiple belts his sanctioning body awards in a division? And that promise was years ago.

Other than some form of global regulation, our next best hope is that the WBA trinkets lose any value that fighters, promoters and media place in them.

As to the fight itself, James is a good fighter with decent wins but he's always left me underwhelmed when I watch him fight. Butaev is tough as nails, aggressive and throws hard. I could see the Russian fighter breaking James down and winning this (possibly by late rounds stoppage).

Comment

Originally posted by Get em up View Post
        Thank you dear god for somebody saying it before I did!!!
        Agree 100%. I asked myself the same question.

Comment

Originally posted by Satir View Post
          Ennis isnt ranked by WBA, and they are in the same position more or less, Ennis was fighting for the IBO title 2 month ago
          That's my point, they should not be in the same position at all! Ennis is fighting Lipinets without a title shot, and "Shango" is ordered to fight Butaev for the WBA "World" title.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
            That's my point, they should not be in the same position at all! Ennis is fighting Lipinets without a title shot, and "Shango" is ordered to fight Butaev for the WBA "World" title.
            Arum pulled some strings to get the WBA to order Besputin vs Butaev for the WBA "Regular". Besputin beat Butaev but then failed a VADA test. WBA said Butaev could fight for the WBA again, but stepped aside to let Ugas vs Ramos happen. Ugas got promoted to full champion. Butaev is still owed his shot, James gets promoted to Regular champion, James vs Butaev is ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
              Arum pulled some strings to get the WBA to order Besputin vs Butaev for the WBA "Regular". Besputin beat Butaev but then failed a VADA test. WBA said Butaev could fight for the WBA again, but stepped aside to let Ugas vs Ramos happen. Ugas got promoted to full champion. Butaev is still owed his shot, James gets promoted to Regular champion, James vs Butaev is ordered.
              Yeah, and Butaev only had 12 fights when he fought for the WBA "Regular." Look at David Morrell Jr.! He is the WBA "Interim" Champion with only 4 fights! The common denominator is not Bob Arum, it's the WBA! The WBA is the worst!

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post
                Didn't WBA head Mendoza promise to eliminate the multiple belts his sanctioning body awards in a division? And that promise was years ago.

Other than some form of global regulation, our next best hope is that the WBA trinkets lose any value that fighters, promoters and media place in them.

As to the fight itself, James is a good fighter with decent wins but he's always left me underwhelmed when I watch him fight. Butaev is tough as nails, aggressive and throws hard. I could see the Russian fighter breaking James down and winning this (possibly by late rounds stoppage).
                WBA working to reduce number of titles
                Dan Rafael
                ESPN

January 19, 2016:

Can it be? Might it be? Is the WBA actually going to do the right thing? Going to do something that makes sense? Going to do something -- gulp -- that is good for boxing?

Now I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself, but at the moment it seems as though the answer is yes. I say that very gently.

Anyone who has read my work will know that I have had issues with the WBA for years -- the organization that recently had a deceased boxer in its rankings for several months.

My main issue has been that the WBA crowns up to four titleholders in the same weight class -- super, regular, unified and interim -- seemingly only for the sake of generating more sanction fees. Some fighters and promoters are all too happy to go along with it too.

It’s enough to drive me, and others, crazy because whatever short-term gain there might be for the few individuals who benefit from all the extra belts, I’ve never thought it was worth the long-term damage to whatever credibility was left in the sport. It just smacked of stupidity to have more than one titleholder in the same organization in the same division.

Over the years, I have had many arguments with WBA president Gilberto Mendoza Jr., whom I like personally, even if we probably couldn’t agree that grass is green and the sky is blue.

But maybe, just maybe, we are entering a new era with the WBA. I said maybe, but in the spirit of being a good sport, I will give Mendoza -- who was recently promoted to WBA president because his father, longtime president Gilberto Mendoza Sr., is terminally ill and stepped down -- the benefit of the doubt and say it looks as though we are.

The elimination of multiple world titles in the same division will not happen overnight. I get that but Mendoza has told me personally that he is going to reduce the number of titles. I will take him at his word until proven otherwise.

“I am working to reduce the titles,” Mendoza told me on Tuesday. “At first some promoters [might] complain. I just tell them it is my final decision. They would have to live with it.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/dan-rafael...mber-of-titles

Comment

The two best in the division are facing each other and people still find reasons to complain smh

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
                    Thank you for breaking down facts.

Hopefully this silences the "Who the F is Ramos" crowd too.

And all of this was delayed for over a year because they let Manny sit on the belt. This whole cluster is a perfect example why they shouldn't do that. Deserving fighters get stuck in the mud.

Comment

The WBA Purge month

Comment

Working...
                      X