No announcement yet.

What makes Fury a special fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post

I kind of disagree with your first comment, isolated, nothing might be net new, but we have never seen a HW as complete as Fury technically. I don't think people truly realize the significance of "he can do anything offensively and defensively". Very few fighters across all divisions is this actually true for.

I also think what you describe, the reliance of metrics, is a weakness, when it comes to evaluating the self as a competitor. I'm the same was as Fury and people like us are indeed the minority. Its why you see me constantly defend and argue that aging fighters can still perform at the highest level. Its because it begins with self belief and a refusal to let anyone else dictate the rules for you. People like us only find motivation from doubters. And people who want to tear down an individual with such self belief are deplorable. It isn't unique to him but it is unique that we have a total package, as I said before. The mind is extraordinarily powerful, I evidenced this in the military and I carry my confidence everywhere I go because I consider myself a self actualized individual. I don't care what the odds are, what the laws of science say, or what Tom, Dick, or Harry say. If I'm determined to do something I have to see myself fail to believe I will fail. It is this mentality that I basically expect from elite fighters, because I have that mentality as an amateur fighter. I hate self defeat. I hate when people willingly hang them up, or allow others to convince them their time is over.

very good post

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
      I don't really think from a technical perspective, he is really showing us anything new. There have been faster heavyweights, there have been heavyweights with more multidimensional offenses, and better defenses.

But what makes Tyson Fury special is his belief in himself, he has that same kind of unshakable believe that Muhammad Ali & Prince Naseem Hamed had etc His belief is not entirely based on logic or physiological variables 'This is a different level of belief, that I have not detected in any other active fighter.

The last real fighter who in my opinion had this same kind of belief was Prince Naseem Hamed.

In the movie 'The Matrix' there is a scene where? Morpheus was explaining what the matrix was to Neo, he explains that no matter how fast or strong the agents are? Their speed and strength are based on rules.

We live in the age of science, and scientism. And most boxers get their self belief from science, statistics, physiological parameters that they can observably measure. How many runs they have completed, how much weight they have lifted inside gym, how many repetitions of calisthenics they have achieved etc

'I estimate about 50% of Tyson Fury's ability is not based on anything of this world' his belief is not entirely influenced by classical mechanics. That is why when he was out of the game, he still genuinely believed he was the best heavyweight on the planet, I CAN read people very well. Tyson Fury was not attempting to self motivated himself, he was speaking his Truth.

This is what makes him special 'It is his greatest asset'. Because lets be real about it? Anthony Joshua is out matching him in every single athletic department, even in some ways Joshua's mentality is not normal 'I have compared Joshua to batman' Joshua has been preparing for Tyson Fury for years, that is the type of mentality he has etc
      Here's the short version: Fury and Warren will sell the Joshua fight then duck both AJ and Whye and Fury will disappear and never return

Fury, after having defended zero times and living off one win against Wlad. He is hype - as is Wilder. I encourage fans not to be fooled. That is the way we will develop the sport we love.

Comment

Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
        I don't really think from a technical perspective, he is really showing us anything new. There have been faster heavyweights, there have been heavyweights with more multidimensional offenses, and better defenses.

But what makes Tyson Fury special is his belief in himself, he has that same kind of unshakable believe that Muhammad Ali & Prince Naseem Hamed had etc His belief is not entirely based on logic or physiological variables 'This is a different level of belief, that I have not detected in any other active fighter.

The last real fighter who in my opinion had this same kind of belief was Prince Naseem Hamed.

In the movie 'The Matrix' there is a scene where? Morpheus was explaining what the matrix was to Neo, he explains that no matter how fast or strong the agents are? Their speed and strength are based on rules.

We live in the age of science, and scientism. And most boxers get their self belief from science, statistics, physiological parameters that they can observably measure. How many runs they have completed, how much weight they have lifted inside gym, how many repetitions of calisthenics they have achieved etc

'I estimate about 50% of Tyson Fury's ability is not based on anything of this world' his belief is not entirely influenced by classical mechanics. That is why when he was out of the game, he still genuinely believed he was the best heavyweight on the planet, I CAN read people very well. Tyson Fury was not attempting to self motivated himself, he was speaking his Truth.

This is what makes him special 'It is his greatest asset'. Because lets be real about it? Anthony Joshua is out matching him in every single athletic department, even in some ways Joshua's mentality is not normal 'I have compared Joshua to batman' Joshua has been preparing for Tyson Fury for years, that is the type of mentality he has etc
        Here's the short version: Fury and Warren will sell the Joshua fight then duck both AJ and Whye and Fury will disappear and never return

Fury, after having defended zero times and living off one win against Wlad. He is hype - as is Wilder. I encourage fans not to be fooled. That is the way we will develop the sport we love.

Comment

Originally posted by Froch_uppercut View Post
          What do you think of the chances that Fury V joshua will possibly be diminished (from happening) if Fury avoids Whyte and vacates, meaning that the fight with AJ would not be for undisputed and therefore has less allure to AJ? I worry that could make negotiations difficult as Fury would be bringing less to the table.
          What Fury knows, and others don't like to admit, is that belts don't matter that much.

It's prizefighting, not beltfighting. The fight that produces the biggest purse is the most important fight. Belts help, but they're not the be all and end all.

Fury v AJ is, right now, the biggest fight in heavyweight boxing. 'Undisputed' would no doubt help the marketing but that fight can still get made at some point regardless of belts.

It could have been different 18 months or so ago, but that opportunity was missed. The belts won't mean the same for a long time once they start dispersing.

I just don't think big fights get made now, when the crowds can't get on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
            What Fury knows, and others don't like to admit, is that belts don't matter that much.

It's prizefighting, not beltfighting. The fight that produces the biggest purse is the most important fight. Belts help, but they're not the be all and end all.

Fury v AJ is, right now, the biggest fight in heavyweight boxing. 'Undisputed' would no doubt help the marketing but that fight can still get made at some point regardless of belts.

It could have been different 18 months or so ago, but that opportunity was missed. The belts won't mean the same for a long time once they start dispersing.

Fury and anyone, can therefore use an excuse like "belts don't matter".

That is just so stupid: if we explore that as a logical position then we're f****d. Every fighter want to aspire to climb the ladder. It is right. It is only wrong when we allow those controlling the ladder to move it around.

Comment

Originally posted by Froch_uppercut View Post
              Fury and anyone, can therefore use an excuse like "belts don't matter".

That is just so stupid: if we explore that as a logical position then we're f****d. Every fighter want to aspire to climb the ladder. It is right. It is only wrong when we allow those controlling the ladder to move it around.
              Yes, but becoming a big deal was never about taking on all comers.

Fury is big enough to take that position. A lot of that is because he did win a belt. Since then it's all been smoke and mirrors. Pick the right fight, sign the right contract, say the right things.

And he's number one in the world with little doubt. He didn't climb the ladder to that position. He just marketed himself there and took on the right opponent.

Comment

Yes, but becoming a big deal was never about taking on all comers.

Fury is big enough to take that position. A lot of that is because he did win a belt. Since then it's all been smoke and mirrors. Pick the right fight, sign the right contract, say the right things.

And he's number one in the world with little doubt. He didn't climb the ladder to that position. He just marketed himself there and took on the right opponent.
                Fury is also universally recognized as the lineal champ though which means he does have more weight beyond belts, even outside popularity and resume.

Comment

Bernard Hopkins once stated he is more interested in 'Taking legacies' over belts. Belts do mean something, but when you reach a certain stage in your career it is about taking 'Legacies'.

Tyson Fury has not really got the whole body of work i.e Anthony Joshua overall has a better resume, but Fury has TWO very big wins for his legacy 'Deontay Wilder & A 10 year dominant champion Wladimir Kiltschko' etc

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                    Fury is also universally recognized as the lineal champ though which means he does have more weight beyond belts, even outside popularity and resume.
                    Not much though. I mean, half of boxing fans don't care about lineal. Less than half of casuals would know about it.

Weight, yes. But it's nowhere near the main driver. The only thing lineal means to Fury is that he's still unbeaten. If he'd never won it he wouldn't have cared about it either.

Comment

• Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post
                      Bernard Hopkins once stated he is more interested in 'Taking legacies' over belts. Belts do mean something, but when you reach a certain stage in your career it is about taking 'Legacies'.

Tyson Fury has not really got the whole body of work i.e Anthony Joshua overall has a better resume, but Fury has TWO very big wins for his legacy 'Deontay Wilder & A 10 year dominant champion Wladimir Kiltschko' etc
                      Definitely. Fury sees himself as being at that point.

I don't agree. I think he skipped over needing to be a dominant champion (no-one would disagree with that would they?). But he's convinced enough people for it to work.

Comment

Working...
                      X