Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Larry Holmes: Current Heavyweights "Couldn't Stand A Chance" In My Era

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who knows? Everybody is right in fantasy cross-over matchups.

Comment

Larry is doing what he accused others of during hes reign. Giving the current crop no credit. He was always complaining about being compared to Ali, moaned about Marciano in the famous "jockstrap" interview. The guys in Larry's era, the 80s really, were talented guys but smaller, shorter. They had the advantage being busier but had less longevity. They weren't magically better. They made better, more high paced fights maybe, at times. Larry may think he beats everyone now, fair enough. But does he really think Berbick, Williams, Tate, Weaver, Smith, Tubbs ect dominate the division now too? Doubt it. Theyd win some and lose some.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
        Why? He's not wrong.

Even Michael Spinks, who wasn't really even a full heavy, runs through every current fighter except Fury.
        I doubt it mate. Spinks beat Cooney and an old Holmes. He'd be competitive. But run right through all these guys? For all we know someone like Ruiz crumbles him early with pressure and physicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindgames View Post
          To be fair Larry could take the high road and say what Tyson did about the Klitschkos, "different era, who knows? “. Not, everyone in my day was better than everyone in theirs. It's disrespectful in itself. And he was the king of complaining about being disrespected for following the champions he did.
          I hear and agree he did have a bit of a chip on his shoulder about the previous era , I just feel he were not a bad champion and to be bad mouthed by someone who could not hold his bag is very disrespectful and ignorant .

Comment

Nobody beats a 100% Fury and that includes Holmes.

Fury is too big, too strong, too skilled and has insane heart & boxing IQ.

Comment

Normally I don’t go for the “in my day” stuff but he is right. None of these guys today last the full 15 or even 12 with the greats from the 70s both early and late

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfield02 View Post
                Maybe in the heavyweight division in boxing that holds true, but guys in lighter weight divisions are as good as past fighters. The biggest difference is top fighters don't face each other at the rate they did in the past.
                That's a huge difference! They fought more often and fought all comers! Takes a lot of shine off today's fighters! They also didn't have all these "Jr." weight classes, and 3 champions at each weight class!

Comment

Holmes regularly went 15 rounds of hard action....I'm thinking about his war with Ken Norton. No fighter today has gone 15....could they?
                  Holmes would be competitive today with anyone. He'd beat Pulev, Parker, White, Chisora, guys like that.

Comment

He is right look at Whyte he is less skilled than Tony Tubbs yet has the same body and I am sure tubbs bear Whyte on points and not even close. Holmes would have made Whyte quit who has heart but would be outclass and he would blame he for we for stopping the fight

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
                      Why? He's not wrong.

Even Michael Spinks, who wasn't really even a full heavy, runs through every current fighter except Fury.
                      What is special abot Fury? Fury a cruiser Cummingham knocked down and had resort to dirty tactics and officially got warned for that? There's nothing special about Fury.

Comment

Working...
                      X