Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Larry Holmes: Current Heavyweights "Couldn't Stand A Chance" In My Era

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxviewer View Post
    What is special abot Fury? Fury a cruiser Cummingham knocked down and had resort to dirty tactics and officially got warned for that? There's nothing special about Fury.
    Fury wasn't special then. He was 24, still finding his way, but was progressing fast. That was hardly Fury in his prime, but he learned from that fight, he learned from many of his early fights, and part of being so willing to learn and improve or what made Fury become great. This Cunningham **** is totally irrelevant now.

Comment

Only Tyson Fury would be competitive with the greats of the past. Today's heavyweights, most of them are crap, and that is the truth.

Comment

Comment

The “REAL Holmes era” ages below when they fought Holmes. I omitted Ali who was past his prime. And I omitted Tyson when Holmes was past his prime. I am also going back to 1978 to see what other HW was relevant during that time.

Holmes fought:
          Ken Norton (34 years old)
          Mike Weaver (28 years old)
          Earnie Shavers (35 years old)
          Trevor Berbick (26 years old)
          Leon Spinks (27 years old)
          Renaldo Snipes (25 years old)
          Gerry Cooney (25 years old)
          Tim Witherspoon (26 years old)
          Carl Williams (25 years old)
          Michael Spinks (29 years old)

Other HW’s during Holmes prime:

Joe Frazier was 34 years old when Holmes beat a 34 year old Norton for the title. 2 years prior, Frazier was destroyed by Forman in 1976 and fought 1 last time at 39 years old, 5 years later to a draw against an unranked HW.

George Foreman was 29 when Holmes beat Norton but George lost to Jimmy Young 1 year prior at 28 in 1977 and went into retirement for the 1st time for 10 years.

Jimmy Young was 30 years old when Holmes beat Norton but was on the way to 3 consecutive losses and 4 losses out of 5 fights.

Michael Dokes was 30 years old when Holmes beat Norton and Dokes went on to beat Jimmy Young 1 year later in 1979.

Ronnie Lyle was 37 years old when Holmes beat Norton. Lyle lost 2 years prior to Jimmy Young in 1976.

Comment

Working...
          X