Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Deep look into Mayweather, Pacquiao, Canelo and GGG's Risk History

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have 2 requests when someone has time...

odds for Tyson... and odds for Marquez

Comment

• Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
      I have 2 requests when someone has time...

odds for Tyson... and odds for Marquez
      I tried to look at Marquez today. His resume is rather deep because he started fighting in 93... I was going to start pulling odds from his fight with Norwood, but I think it should probably start before then which was even more challenging.

I couldn't find any sites that listed his odds like I did with other fighters... I couldn't even find odds for the Norwood fight.

Marquez would be much more harder to find, but let me know if you see otherwise.

As far as Tyson, I think he was the underdog against Lewis and Holyfield 2... Probably a 5 to 1 or less favorite against Spinks, Berbick, Tucker, Bruno, Tubbs and Rud****... These are guesses of course.

20 to 1 or more against Douglass, McNeeley, Sheldon, etc

Comment

• Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post

Lol No quarrels with this post.

Fair enough

But why are we getting caught up on the "loss" factor? Let's say hypothetically, you're right. Golovkin loses to Ward. That's not the end all be all as many fighters have taken losses and bounced right back in contender status. Just look at Pac, for example. You follow the sport like me, if not closer, so maybe you know of many fighters that have taken losses, only to bounce back bigger and better and still make their money. I'm sure you can name examples of such.

But to answer your question, I think G would've taken more of a risk against Ward in 2015 than Canelo took in 2020, sure. I can see your point there. But, on the other hand, Kovalev had just KO'd a top 10 Light Heavy with a jab.

Looking back, weren't G and Ward ranked closely P4P?

I don't know, I think the fight would've been a good fight with maybe G as a slight underdog, I'm not sure what the odds were. But worse case scenario, G loses a decision, I don't think Ward would've stopped him. Worst case scenario, Canelo could've been KO'd by the much bigger and more proven Light Heavyweight.

Either way, I do see your point, but for me that's what comes with the territory if you want to be considered an ATG. It's dangerous to be an ATG.

But with that same scenario ask yourself, what's more risky: Cotto vs GGG or GGG vs Ward? This is what the people were saying. Take money out of the equation. G can't complain about "the best" avoiding him, while also making the argument of avoiding the best because of money. It kind of goes both ways.

Fair point.

Sure, but let's say I give you the benefit of the doubt and say "Ok GGG, make the fight in your division". Why would he not agree to Canelo's catchweight stipulation? Why play that game when he already agreed to fight Rosado at a catchweight? I got frustrated because in one breath he's complaining about how the major champions won't fight him because of his high risk low reward status, but then in the next breath he's acting like he's a "high reward" fighter. It was like he couldn't fight Ward because Ward was too big, but then he wouldn't fight Canelo because Canelo wouldn't come up to 160 and he couldn't fight Cotto because Cotto wouldn't fight him, etc. It just seemed like one big soap opera with Golovkin refusing to make a single concession. Well since you compared G to other other fighters in the past, let me give you examples that you already know of where fighters have made concessions just to get the fight they wanted:

Mayweather against DLH - Came up to his division and conceded on glove and ring size.

Mosley moved up 2 weight classes to fight DLH

Hagler gave up several concessions to SRL to make the fight (ring size, gloves, etc).

Margarito made concessions to fight Pac.

So many examples as I'm sure you know. GGG went from complaining about getting a fight, to becoming a diva over night without winning one meaningful fight.

Probably not as I think most fans would agree that GGG would've beat Cotto and Martinez. But you have to remember that Cotto (up 4 weight classes) had already paid his boxing dues to be where he was at that point in his career as did Martinez. If Golovkin had went up and beat someone like Ward, that would've gave him more leverage against Cotto or Martinez.

Golovkin wanted people that have been underdog's to make concessions for him, while he himself never took risk of being an underdog. He was acting like the teenager who wanted the keys to the Benz without putting in any work at a 9 to 5 to chip in for the benz... Lol maybe that's a bad analogy, but I think you get what I'm trying to say. It was like he wanted everything handed to him without actually putting in the work or conceding.

I think you're right for the most part.
        Props to Ryan Garcia for giving concessions to Tank

ALL great fighters have done it. This forum cries about everything unfortunately

Comment

• Originally posted by HewJohnson View Post
          Floyd being a -350 favorite to Conor Mcgregor was absurd.
          Floyd shouldve been a -5000 favorite. Thats ridiculous.
          The man Mcgregor has never had a professional boxing match before that, lmao.
          Thats how you know the world is filled much nonsense.
          The public set odds not professional punters, McGregor had a massive following and was 20lbs bigger, plus all the hype and world tour sold the fight, there were truck loads of people thinking Conner could break Mayweather, the odds are no surprise at all just got to break down how they happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roadblock View Post

The public set odds not professional punters, McGregor had a massive following and was 20lbs bigger, plus all the hype and world tour sold the fight, there were truck loads of people thinking Conner could break Mayweather, the odds are no surprise at all just got to break down how they happened.
            Always making excuses. Somehow all of that negates the fact the man never fought a pro boxing match in his life

Comment

• Update: GGGeezer was significantly underdog in the trilogy.

Canelo will be possibly underdog in September.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
                Lomachenko will probably never fight as an underdog because of how good he is. Don't get this "logic" at all.
                He's the underdog against Haney (+160)

Comment

Working...
                X