Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my Grandpa right about Floyd not doing enough to be considered an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
    Pretty sure Floyd had less catchweight fights than Manny, so that doesn’t make sense. His one catchweight fight was when Canelo’s team said they will fight at 152, their idea, Floyd said ok..

Manny had more catchweight fights, i think. Also, Floyd fought a slightly younger De La Hoya at 154, Manny drained him down to 147. “But Manny started his career at flyweight!” Yeah, at 16 yrs old. A lot of guys around 135 to 147 were probably same weight as a Flyweight at 16, it’s just you don’t think about it because it’s not on a pro record. I bet Floyd wasn’t far off that weight at 15 or 16 too, it’s just he stayed amateur until after the olympics. He could’ve probably been beating Thai and Filipino bums at 16, weighing nearly what a Flyweight was.

Floyd is an ATG and the best of his era, Manny the second best of the era. Floyd beat him pretty easily too, and Floyd is older. The funny thing is, people say Floyd’s style is better for a long career..is it? His style was massively based on fast reflex and timing, which goes as you get older, which is why he often fought more flat footed from about 2010 onwards. It was his boxing brain that made him last a long time.

So, your grandpa is wrong. Floyd beat the who’s who of his era, barely ever looked like losing and retired undefeated. Did he fight everyone at their best? No, but who does? It’s probably logistically impossible. Manny didn’t either.

I think it hurts people to give Floyd the credit he deserves as a boxer. Like him as a person or not, he’s one of the greatest ever, no doubt.

I’m pretty much a neutral when it comes to Floyd v Manny, but Floyd was the greater fighter, just not as exciting for the most part.

why you lying bruh?? the cw was canelo's team idea? and floyd has 1 less CW than manny! lmao! 1 off aint a big gap bruh.

Floyd Sr. said that if WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez wants a fight against Floyd Jr. in September then he’s going to have to come in at 147 lbs at the weigh-in the day before the fight.

“I’m the bigger guy, why would I give up weight?” Canelo said. “You want to know what happened? They wanted to fight at welterweight. I told them, ‘No way, those days are over for me.’ Then they said let’s do the fight at 150. I said I couldn’t do that. Then 151. To make this fight happen I said I would give up two pounds. Then we finally agreed on 152," Canelo said.

The Mexican star further claimed that Mayweather and his team tried to keep him quiet regarding the "catch-weight" negotiations.

Comment

Even Floyd's biggest haters should admit he's ATG. If your grandpa really did say that, he's hatred for Floyd does not let him admit Floyd's greatness or he just doesn't know anything about boxing. Regardless, he's wrong if he thinks Floyd is not ATG.

Comment

Most people who talk about floyd is that they say the same thing that floyd likes to run and hug inside the ring.

I think your grandpa was right about floyd. even his own fans will agree, they know that floyd don't want to be great especially during the time that the welterweight division is full of opponent that could make him a certified ATG if he won against them but instead he went to a temporary vacation.

Comment

He didn't fight who he wasn't supposed to beat enough. Didn't fight outside backyard so didn't take enough riskes, too cautious so a danger people will dismiss his career.
          In 100 years of boxing fighters have done unbelievable things, people literally spoilt for choice, Floyd s achievements will get lost by wayside and he did nothing to raise head above parapet
          Last edited by hugh grant; 04-09-2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pago007 View Post
            People let their disdain for his personal life convolute their thinking. Dude was a boxing savant
            I agree. Not much of a Mayweather fan but the guy was magic inside the squared circle. Great fighter

Comment

your grandpa must have been part of that smoking session, one guy thinks he might beatup tyson and now floyd not so good, LMAO, thats psychoactive weeeeed

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                Pretty sure Floyd had less catchweight fights than Manny, so that doesn’t make sense. His one catchweight fight was when Canelo’s team said they will fight at 152, their idea, Floyd said ok..

Manny had more catchweight fights, i think. Also, Floyd fought a slightly younger De La Hoya at 154, Manny drained him down to 147. “But Manny started his career at flyweight!” Yeah, at 16 yrs old. A lot of guys around 135 to 147 were probably same weight as a Flyweight at 16, it’s just you don’t think about it because it’s not on a pro record. I bet Floyd wasn’t far off that weight at 15 or 16 too, it’s just he stayed amateur until after the olympics. He could’ve probably been beating Thai and Filipino bums at 16, weighing nearly what a Flyweight was.

Floyd is an ATG and the best of his era, Manny the second best of the era. Floyd beat him pretty easily too, and Floyd is older. The funny thing is, people say Floyd’s style is better for a long career..is it? His style was massively based on fast reflex and timing, which goes as you get older, which is why he often fought more flat footed from about 2010 onwards. It was his boxing brain that made him last a long time.

So, your grandpa is wrong. Floyd beat the who’s who of his era, barely ever looked like losing and retired undefeated. Did he fight everyone at their best? No, but who does? It’s probably logistically impossible. Manny didn’t either.

I think it hurts people to give Floyd the credit he deserves as a boxer. Like him as a person or not, he’s one of the greatest ever, no doubt.

I’m pretty much a neutral when it comes to Floyd v Manny, but Floyd was the greater fighter, just not as exciting for the most part.
                Floyd has the worst catchweight of all time.

He make his own unification bout in a catchweight.

Fight JMM at a catchweight and cheated him..

Floyd catchweight fight is the most embarassing fight in the catchweight history of boxing and even his own fans is ashamed of that.

Comment

I think floyd has the most gift wins in the history of boxing..

Comment

STILL not enough? LOL he's even more extreme than the old timers in our history section.

He's right about Pacquiao being greater though, and yes one of the reasons was because he truly dared to be great unlike safety first Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post
                      This conversation came up last night when we were watching something on tv about mayweathers daughter stabbing another girl.

Grandpa said that mayweather was a decent fighter, but he didn't dare to be great like Pacquiao and in his eyes, didn't do enough to be considered an ATG. I asked how and he said he never challenged himself by moving up to 154 and 160. He said a lot of great fighters were at 154, especially 160 and he should have fought them at those weights with no catch-weights attached.

Is my grandpa right?
                      - -Top 10 alltime Sissyboy.

Top 3 in TUEs.

It's a new generation!

Comment

Working...
                      X