Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my Grandpa right about Floyd not doing enough to be considered an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
    STILL not enough? LOL he's even more extreme than the old timers in our history section.

He's right about Pacquiao being greater though, and yes one of the reasons was because he truly dared to be great unlike safety first Floyd.
    At what point Floyd would have been able to fight Rios, Algieri, Vargas, Horn and Matthyse?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingTrav View Post
      At what point Floyd would have been able to fight Rios, Algieri, Vargas, Horn and Matthyse?
      I know you're not seriously trying to imply that Pacquiao didn't take more risks in his matchups and fights than pretty lil floyd. Just stop.

Comment

Gramps seems unaware poochiao lost to mayweather.

The "too old" excuse hasnt aged well now that Pac is still a champ even five years later

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
          I know you're not seriously trying to imply that Pacquiao didn't take more risks in his matchups and fights than pretty lil floyd. Just stop.
          Every fighter takes risks when they step in to ring especially at that top level. The narrative is that Floyd takes less than Pacquiao is false and proven by your refusal to answer a simple question.

Pac has been an underdog more than Floyd because he is more underestimated. Floyd is always the favorite because people understand his level of greatness.

Put it this way, I've made alot of money on Pac. I know how great he is. I've seen him since the Ledwaba fight. The only times Ive picked against him were against De La Hoya, Floyd and Thurman. If he fights against Crawford or Spence I expect him to lose also.

But back to the point, there are quite a few fighters on Manny resume after he ascended to prominence that Floyd would be ridiculed for fighting that Manny got a pass on

Comment

Every fighter takes risks when they step in to ring especially at that top level.

Pac has been an underdog more than Floyd because he is more underestimated. Floyd is always the favorite because people understand his level of greatness.
            Look at Floyd s career why shouldn't he have been favoueite?
            Full of past prime, with countless losses, or smaller than floyd and bloated up etc.
            Look what happened with common opponents Pac beats them more devastatingly or more times.
            Pac won when he was underdog so we learnt Pac was much better than people thought he was.
            Just because Floyd has been favourite and w on it don't then mean people think he's on pac level, or duran, , srl, Ali level.But
            Most think or many believe Floyd s overrated and never took risks, didn't fight outside country, didn't fight against people he's be underdog against. Don't say he's too good to be underdog again?
            Fighting green nel o at cw .in your own backyard isn't considered taking a risk in boxing language

Comment

Seems to me that Floyd has accomplished more than most boxers from the past so your grandad might want to reevaluate

Comment

Every fighter takes risks when they step in to ring especially at that top level. The narrative is that Floyd takes less than Pacquiao is false and proven by your refusal to answer a simple question.

Put it this way, I've made alot of money on Pac. I know how great he is. I've seen him since the Ledwaba fight. The only times Ive picked against him were against De La Hoya, Floyd and Thurman. If he fights against Crawford or Spence I expect him to lose also.

But back to the point, there are quite a few fighters on Manny resume after he ascended to prominence that Floyd would be ridiculed for fighting that Manny got a pass on
                I didn't say Floyd never took risks, dummy. But it was rare and he usually had significant stipulations that took the danger out of the matchups.

You can't compare it to Pacquiao. Not only did Manny take a lot of big risks, daring to be great, it was more aking to bad advice from his team in some of those fights. The Margarito and last Marquez fight in particular were completely unnecessary and a big risk. Even Manny's most recent fight could have ended bad for him if we didn't know any better.

Floyd never took those kind of risks. Manny was too brave for his own good. The Margarito fight took a lot out of him and arguable ended his peak prime, and we all know how that 4th Marquez fight turned out. And even after that one Pac still badly wanted a 5th fight.

Keep in mind I'm very fair here, most boxing fans call Floyd a complete coward who never faced ANY risks. I acknowledge Floyd atleast, he did good rematching Castillo, Maidana and taking the Canelo fight. But Learn about boxing and who you're comparing. There's no comparison here.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyMayFan View Post
                  who were all these great fighters at 154 and 160 he could have fought?
                  Sergio Martinez who was #3 on the pfp list behind may and manny for years

Comment

- -Put this way, Manny holds the Ring P4P record for most fights, most wins, most KOs, and longest consecutively Ring Ranked P4Per, over 12 years, and noone even close...NOONE!!!

Yer Welcome ; )

Comment

Floyd is unquestionably a 1st ballot hof’er and the best of his era. He consistently is ranked in the top 20 polls of ATG fighters. I don’t know why your grandpa wouldn’t consider that ATG material if he is a huge boxing fan.

He also fought 2x at 154 and once at 152 so either your “grandpa” has Alzheimer’s and forgot that or he must’ve stopped watching the sport.
                      Last edited by The Big Dunn; 04-10-2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X