Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my Grandpa right about Floyd not doing enough to be considered an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my Grandpa right about Floyd not doing enough to be considered an ATG?

This conversation came up last night when we were watching something on tv about mayweathers daughter stabbing another girl.

Grandpa said that mayweather was a decent fighter, but he didn't dare to be great like Pacquiao and in his eyes, didn't do enough to be considered an ATG. I asked how and he said he never challenged himself by moving up to 154 and 160. He said a lot of great fighters were at 154, especially 160 and he should have fought them at those weights with no catch-weights attached.

Is my grandpa right?
    Last edited by HitmanTommy; 04-09-2020, 08:41 AM.

Our grandfathers grew up in an era when boxers were fighting on a weekly basis and everybody had to fight everybody pretty much ( there were ducking back then too)
    So it’s not abnormal for old timers to feel that way about floyd.

Old timers look at him as a soft opportunistic fighter, a boring fighter.

There are always the wannabe boxing experts who claim “ only true boxing fan can appreciate Floyd “ etc bullsht but it’s really rubbish nonsense.

I laugh whenever somebody says that Bernard Hopkins and Floyd mayweathers’ style are hella exciting only in the eyes of true hardcore boxing fans. Gtfo with that sht.

While I do appreciate and recognize Floyd’s capabilities, I find Him extremely boring and ive never bought his PPVs.
    It’s against my principal.

But yes, no doubt about his ATG status. His longevity and resume speaks for itself.

Comment

People let their disdain for his personal life convolute their thinking. Dude was a boxing savant

Comment

Your grandpa has a point

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post
          This conversation came up last night when we were watching something on tv about mayweathers daughter stabbing another girl.

Grandpa said that mayweather was a decent fighter, but he didn't dare to be great like Pacquiao and in his eyes, didn't do enough to be considered an ATG. I asked how and he said he never challenged himself by moving up to 154 and 160. He said a lot of great fighters were at 154, especially 160 and he should have fought them at those weights with no catch-weights attached.

Is my grandpa right?
          Is your grandpa a crackhead?

Comment

Your granddad is wrong.

Comment

who were all these great fighters at 154 and 160 he could have fought?

Comment

Only fighters Floyd missed on his way up were kostya Tszyu and Margarito. But nobody in their right mind brings up Tszyu because he isnt the guy to beat Floyd mayweather.

Floyd could have fought Margarito too but offer to fight Baldomir was better so he went with that. Floyd wasnt a true WW at that point though and im not sure what would happened between him and margio

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post

Is my grandpa right?

5 weight class champ. Beat over 25 current or former champions. (I know it's to many champs these days)

Fought every hall of fame fighter from his era except winky.

Went undefeated and rematch the 2 closet fights he had. And erase any doubt. He is the best of his era which makes him all time.

The debate is where all time. For me he ain't the best ever but he is one of them.

Comment

I’m not even going to mention him to my grandkids. I’ll let them discover him in their own and decide for themselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X