Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Larry Holmes Turns 70, Has One Wish: To Be Introduced at a Boxing Show

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chirorickyp View Post
    Holmes was great but he beat many inferior fighters like Zanon, Evangelista, Scott Frank,Leroy fatboy Jones, Scott LeDoux etc etc. He didn't fight hungry boxers like Greg Page, Micheal Dokes. That was Don King's fault however, when he went against boxers with good jabs like a Tim Witherspoon or a Carl The Truth Williams he was ordinary. He lost to a Light Heavyweight the great and underated Micheal Spinks clearly in the first fight but should have gotten the rematch. With that said his career did not move the needle. His most memorable fight was against Ken Norton a classic. Top 3 heavyweight title fights ever! That should have been a draw.
    Larry deserves more respect. He had more heart than all heavyweights other than ALI. May have had the best jab ever in boxing. Had a great chin. He had a dangerous right that could knock you out. He fought well when tagged. He boxed and controlled the ring he could do it all.
    This sums it all better than anyone else here.

Holmes must get absolute respect because he was an excellent heavyweight with superb skills and willpower.

But in terms of sheer results, he is remembered for what? Having beaten Shavers twice, by a hair Norton (the latter well past his prime, lest one forgets), the overhyped Cooney, and a comatose Ali.

Actually my favorite Holmes memory is his incredible comeback after being almost knocked out by Renaldo Snipes.

What ultimately detracts from his legacy are losses to Spinks and Tyson, and highway robberies against Witherspoon and Williams.

Looks like most people reason on nostalgia or presumption rather than analyzing facts.
    Last edited by Tatabanya; 11-18-2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

terrific career and a very tough problem to solve at HW.

but you can just hear the bitterness in his voice. you can't make people adore you. they choose to do that. it's based on what you do in the ring and outside of it. holmes' approach both inside and outside of the ring could get listless. it was often his opponents who made him come out of his shell and give a more spirited effort. basically every other major HW from teh 70's was an action fighter and a salesman. it was a tough act to follow and you can hear it in his voice.

he;s literally implying that he could hang with the current crop of HW. in his prime he obviously handles them, but the guy is 70 years old and just sounds bitter and pathetic at this point when he talks like that.

what's not right is that he's not getting his due. he'll get it when he dies, unfortunately. people rank him as a top 5 HW of all time, but they're not all that loud about it, if that makes sense.

Comment

Check out Eddie Murphy’s Larry Holmes skit on YouTube, it gives some funny insight into Larry’s tantrums & attitude.....Mike Tyson is in the audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
          Holyfield built his credit among younger fans after the two Tyson fights (the second of which he would have probably lost, had not Tyson snapped). I was eager to see Holyfield fighting Tyson BEFORE the latter was sent to jail. Unfortunately we are left with mere speculations about that clash.

Worse than losing to Michael Moorer, Holyfield lost to, and drew with, John fùcking Ruiz!

Holyfield was a great fighter, exactly like Holmes, but his image was aggrandized by the media attributing him the role of "savior" against the evil (namely, Tyson).

Born Again Christian vs nìgger, go figure.
          Well said. And to boot as a Christian not only was he a cheater with roids he was a cheater with women having 8 or 9 kids with how many women? I am grateful for the Christian faith I have and am turned off by people who promote and say one thing but in reality do the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
            This sums it all better than anyone else here.

Holmes must get absolute respect because he was an excellent heavyweight with superb skills and willpower.

But in terms of sheer results, he is remembered for what? Having beaten Shavers twice, by a hair Norton (the latter well past his prime, lest one forgets), the overhyped Cooney, and a comatose Ali.

Actually my favorite Holmes memory is his incredible comeback after being almost knocked out by Renaldo Snipes.

What ultimately detracts from his legacy are losses to Spinks and Tyson, and highway robberies against Witherspoon and Williams.

Looks like most people reason on nostalgia or presumption rather than analyzing facts.

Exactly!

My favorite was the 2nd Shavers fight when he got up from a punch that should have made him unconcious.

Comment

Holmes in his prime had the best jab in heavyweight history, fast combinations, great movement, great chin and was a true fighter through and through. I rank him in my top five (Ali, Louis, J Johnson, Lewis and Holmes). The problem he had was public appeal. He came too soon after Ali. He fought a lot like Ali because he was Ali's forming sparring partner. Technically skill-wise Holmes was the best in heavyweight history. Verbally he was the worst in history. He is getting judged historically for what he said verbally to the press. Amongst boxing fanatics like myself and others he is a legend.

Trainers, fighters, former fighters and true boxing fans know where Holmes ranks which is high but amongst the general public not so much.

Comment

Working...
              X