Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Pernell Whitaker - Could He Have Been Perfect Like Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    How was Vasquez the weakest champion at 154? Vasquez was #1 at 154 ahead of Terry Norris when Whitaker fought him.

Whitaker fought the best at 135, 140, 147 and 154.
    Vasquez better than Norris, surely you jest. Norris would of beat Whitaker and Whitaker knew it. Norris called him out constantly. Norris had all the answers to Whitaker's abilities. He was just as fast, harder hitting, better foot work, and could box extremely well. He had a chin issue, but I do not think Whitaker would of been able to take advantage of it. Norris vs Whitaker was the fight to make, but Whitaker was extremely careful with who he picked to fight when he moved up to 147.

Comment

Originally posted by jdp28tx View Post
      Vasquez better than Norris, surely you jest. Norris would of beat Whitaker and Whitaker knew it. Norris called him out constantly. Norris had all the answers to Whitaker's abilities. He was just as fast, harder hitting, better foot work, and could box extremely well. He had a chin issue, but I do not think Whitaker would of been able to take advantage of it. Norris vs Whitaker was the fight to make, but Whitaker was extremely careful with who he picked to fight when he moved up to 147.
      I never said Vasquez was better than Norris I said he was ranked higher, which he was.

Vasquez was #1 at the weight at the time and Terry Norris had just lost to Simon Brown.

Revisionist history at best.

Comment

I never said Vasquez was better than Norris I said he was ranked higher, which he was.

Vasquez was #1 at the weight at the time and Terry Norris had just lost to Simon Brown.

Revisionist history at best.
        Its funny you claim revisionist history yet you are the one engaging in it. The Whitaker /Vasquez fight was in 1995 and Norris was ranked #1 at 154lbs by Ring ****zine in 1995. Vasquez was ranked #1 in 1994. Simon Brown #1 in 1993. Terry Norris again ranked #1 in 1990, 1991, 1992,1996. He was also ranked in the Ring p4p list in years 1991, 1992, 1995, 1996.

Norris lost to Simon, but quickly avenged the loss. It's been known for years that Whitaker and his team purposely avoided fighting Norris. Duva expressly said after the Taylor fight he kept Whitaker away from Norris. Just like Chavez's team kept Chavez away from Norris. But is its ridiculous to think that a Norris/Whitaker fight would be less wanted by the public and the press at the time. No one called out for Whitaker to fight Vasquez. And to use the excuse that Vasquez was the consensus #1 ranked super welterweight I would have to see the rankings at the time. I highly doubt Vasquez was ranked the #1 super welterweight. More than likely Brown would of been ranked higher due to beating Norris since Norris at the time was ranked in the p4p list. Tell me was Vasquez ranked in the p4p list?
        Last edited by jdp28tx; 07-22-2019, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Its funny you claim revisionist history yet you are the one engaging in it. The Whitaker /Vasquez fight was in 1995 and Norris was ranked #1 at 154lbs by Ring ****zine in 1995. Vasquez was ranked #1 in 1994. Simon Brown #1 in 1993. Terry Norris again ranked #1 in 1990, 1991, 1992,1996.

Norris lost to Simon, but quickly avenged the loss. It's been known for years that Whitaker and his team purposely avoided fighting Norris. Duva expressly said after the Taylor fight he kept Whitaker away from Norris. Just like Chavez's team kept Chavez away from Norris. But is its ridiculous to think that a Norris/Whitaker fight would be less wanted by the public and the press at the time. No one called out for Whitaker to fight Vasquez. And to use the excuse that Vasquez was the consensus #1 ranked super welterweight I would have to see the rankings at the time. I highly doubt Vasquez was ranked the #1 super welterweight. More than likely Brown would of been ranked higher due to beating Norris since Norris at the time was ranked in the p4p list. Tell me was Vasquez ranked in the p4p list?
          Known for years by who? I have no recollection of this at all.

I remember a bout was mildly discussed. Show me where it was known Whitaker avoided Norris.

Vasquez was #1 at154 wheh they fought. That's a fact. Look it up.

Comment

Its funny you claim revisionist history yet you are the one engaging in it. The Whitaker /Vasquez fight was in 1995 and Norris was ranked #1 at 154lbs by Ring ****zine in 1995. Vasquez was ranked #1 in 1994. Simon Brown #1 in 1993. Terry Norris again ranked #1 in 1990, 1991, 1992,1996. He was also ranked in the Ring p4p list in years 1991, 1992, 1995, 1996.

No that's at the end of 1995 Norris was ranked #1.

Whitaker-Vasquez was early 1995 when Vasquez was #1.

Norris was not on the P4P list when Whitaker fought Vasqeuz.

You need to fact check because you're totally wrong on most cases there.

Comment

Known for years by who? I have no recollection of this at all.

I remember a bout was mildly discussed. Show me where it was known Whitaker avoided Norris.

Vasquez was #1 at154 wheh they fought. That's a fact. Look it up.
              I just looked it up and you are wrong. I listed it, you just see what you want to see. Interviews given at the time by Duva. If you want me to prove you wrong yet again I will, its been rather easy so far. Norris was in the p4p lists in 91,92,95,96. Tell me what years were Vasquez in the p4p list?

Comment

So what Norris was on the p4p list enough years for Whitaker to fight him and he never did. The fight should of been made. Ridiculous for Pea to climb to 154lbs and not fight the most well known, best 154lb fighter. And if you like to use the excuse (wrong excuse) that Whitaker fought Vasquez because he was #1 well everyone knows why he chose Vasquez, because he was the most beatable.

https://tss.ib.tv/boxing/boxing-arti...ing-excellence

Comment

Go back and look at all of Whitaker's interviews when asked who he wants to fight and never once did he mention Terry Norris. On the other hand there is plenty of video interviews with Terry calling out Whitaker on a regular basis and showing his frustration that Whitaker refused to make the fight. Norris even offered to go down to 147lbs to fight Whitaker.

Comment

I just looked it up and you are wrong. I listed it, you just see what you want to see. Interviews given at the time by Duva. If you want me to prove you wrong yet again I will, its been rather easy so far. Norris was in the p4p lists in 91,92,95,96. Tell me what years were Vasquez in the p4p list?
                    No you really didn't.

Vasquez was #1 at 154 when Whitaker fought him. Not Norris. Fact.

Comment

Go back and look at all of Whitaker's interviews when asked who he wants to fight and never once did he mention Terry Norris. On the other hand there is plenty of video interviews with Terry calling out Whitaker on a regular basis and showing his frustration that Whitaker refused to make the fight. Norris even offered to go down to 147lbs to fight Whitaker.
                      Show me these videos and where Norris said that.

Comment

Working...
                      X