Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Pernell Whitaker - Could He Have Been Perfect Like Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mayweather is the most overrated boxer in history. He did not fight one hall of famer in their primes. Peak Whitaker makes peak Mayweather look foolish in the ring.

Comment

I'm dead serious. Mayweather never ducked opponents until later in his career. It can be said he lost to Castillo, but at least he fought him. It wasn't fair for him to fight Margarito or Paul Williams. They were too big. And if I'm not mistaken Mayweather started ducking Cotto and Mosley after the De La Hoya fight. It can be said that Whitaker ducked Terry Norris, Mcgirt early, Meldrick Taylor, Camacho, among others. While Whitaker was robbed once against Ramirez, he fought terrible champions/contenders like Haugen, and Paez. He beat Chavez....but Chavez was already on the decline (due to substance abuse and eroding skills). He lost against De La Hoya in my opinion. I scored the fight for Sweet Pea when I watched it live. But I felt differently upon watching the replay. They are both HOF fighters...but Mayweather did better to me.
      Last edited by Lefty0616; 07-20-2019, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Whitaker is good but he is a bit overrated go watch his fight with Jorge Paez he basically lost a lot of rounds to an aging blown up featherweight. He lost handily to De La Hoya I don't know why people say that was a close fight. He's still a great fighter though and in terms of if he's better than Mayweather or not I think Mayweather has better offense but Pernell was one of the best defensive fighters of all time. Mayweather has a better right hand and a longer jab and a better body for boxing he's taller and leaner and used his reach better. I also like Mayweather's punching power better than Pernell. Pernell did just enough to win rounds a lot and he was very very evasive and a very slick defensive fighter if you want to say he's the best defensive fighter of all time I would actually swallow that more so than people claiming that he's a top 10 all-time great pound-for-pound he's like a top 50 or top 60 all time great he should be nowhere near the top 10 of all time in any way class in history of boxing. I think a prime 135 Roberto Duran absolutely dominates Pernell Whitaker.
        Last edited by The_Hamster; 07-20-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

No doubt Whitaker was a victim of 2 bad decisions. I believe he beat De la Hoya also but it was a close fight. He did make De la Hoya look bad at times.

He didn't have to be perfect like Mayweather to be a great fighter. He was spectacular fighter despite of the losses.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigar View Post
            Mayweather is the most overrated boxer in history. He did not fight one hall of famer in their primes. Peak Whitaker makes peak Mayweather look foolish in the ring.
            Youre an idiot, when was Floyd prime all through his 20yrs + ring time,,,,, he was the same prime as all he beat, he beat the whole era of the very best fighters including the current 160 king and Manny who is favorite to beat Thurman today.

The fools in here are so boxing ignorant, so many fans that really dont know boxing just hype swallowing fanboys .

Comment

The Hamster......You got it right. I absolutely agree

Comment

Originally posted by illpapi View Post
                You seriously can't be serious about Mayweather fighting everyone in his path. Did he fight Antonio Margarito when no one wanted to fight him? And please don't say he was a cheat because obviously Mayweather didn't know that at the time. Oh, and did he fight Cotto in his prime? No, he conveniently retired. Also, if you are real you know he lost the first Castillo fight. I'm not hating on May but I'm not gonna defend him either on how he went about his career.
                ————

Google is a platform you can use to fact check a lot of things.

Floyd moved up to 147 in 2006. He bought his contract from Arum.
                Oscar, Cotto, Gamboa, Mikey Garcia, etc all fought Arum to get out of the slave contract they were bound to. PAC also tried to get out and sign with Oscar but Arum threatened to take him to court and he backed down. These facts are pertinent to the accusations you and many misinformed others make.

Two, when Floyd moved up to 140, he wanted to fight Cotto or Hatton after destroying Gatti and they both refused. Cotto is on record during the promotion of his fight with Floyd at 154 saying that he was advised by his uncle/trainer not to fight Floyd.

There was literally no one else to fight at 140. Floyd’s Target was Oscar at 147 and he needed legitimacy of belts to leverage against a fair split with Oscar so he beat Zab and Baldomir for 2 belts only for Oscar to set conditions (154, ring size, judges, ref and purse split) and still lost anyway.

Margarito by then got beat by Paul Williams so his fake aura of invincibility disappeared like a fart. He then got KO’d by Mosley like the BUM that he was.
                Floyd meanwhile, walked through Mosley like a breeze. The only thing you guys remember is the 2 punches he got hit by while conveniently ignoring 12 rounds of boxing clinic displayed by Floyd.

As for Castillo, it was a controversial decisions that had many boxing analysts split BUT Floyd beat him in the rematch. If Castillo had the blue print he should have beaten Floyd. Castillo then went on to a glorious career getting beat up silly by everyone.

Those are facts

Comment

It's not in his nature to be perfect or try to be perfect. He had drug problems that must have impacted his ring performances.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigar View Post
                    ——-///

Can you name the hall of fame guys that Floyd did not in their prime?

Keep in mind Floyd was fighting at 130-140 from 1998 to 2005 so if you mention guys like Oscar or Mosley then your logic is so flawed.
                    They were both fighting at 147 when Floyd was at 135

But i’d Like you to list those hall of fame in their prime boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty0616 View Post
                      I'm dead serious. Mayweather never ducked opponents until later in his career. It can be said he lost to Castillo, but at least he fought him. It wasn't fair for him to fight Margarito or Paul Williams. They were too big. And if I'm not mistaken Mayweather started ducking Cotto and Mosley after the De La Hoya fight. It can be said that Whitaker ducked Terry Norris, Mcgirt early, Meldrick Taylor, Camacho, among others. While Whitaker was robbed once against Ramirez, he fought terrible champions/contenders like Haugen, and Paez. He beat Chavez....but Chavez was already on the decline (due to substance abuse and eroding skills). He lost against De La Hoya in my opinion. I scored the fight for Sweet Pea when I watched it live. But I felt differently upon watching the replay. They are both HOF fighters...but Mayweather did better to me.

Cotto was ringside for Mayweather-Gatti. HBO announcing team talks about it, they were looking at making that fight next. Cotto noped the **** out of there after he saw Mayweather's display of skill. Cotto was busy getting put on ***** street by Torres back then. Imagine how bad the beating Mayweather would have given him. Mayweather gave Cotto the full 154lb limit and still made him do the funky chicken dance in the 12th.

Comment

Working...
                      X