No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: The Canelo-Jacobs Numbers Need To Add Up For NSAC & DAZN

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing1013 View Post
    I mean, ESPN's name worked out well for them...
    There is a flow to it...just as there is with YMCA. Not D-A-Z-N.

Comment

Originally posted by alexjust View Post
      There is a flow to it...just as there is with YMCA. Not D-A-Z-N.
      Lol dude come on...there is not an inherent flow to ESPN or YMCA anymore than there is to DAZN. It's just that the ESPN and YMCA acronyms are much more common than DAZN.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG GUNZ View Post
        I don’t know why though since so many have subscriptions for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc. $100 a year is a steal compared to having to order $70 PPVs.
        I think its cuz the culture of sports is its usually free or more open then movies. People expect to spend money to watch movies. People don't expect to spend money to watch a sport or pay extra money specifically for a sport as most sports people are paying for today are only as expensive as basic cable cost. Boxing people are more used to it, but DAZN is still different from HBO or Showtime or PPV.

So I get it. One of DAZN's battles with sports is changing the expectations, which ESPN+ is helping them with, but its also about getting their name out there & to spin why you wanna watch sports via their service. It was never going to be a easy battle to win & I'm sure they know that much better than any of us do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
          Same here! There is no buzz in the building like it was when Canelo fought GGG! My theory, and tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems like since ESPN and TR combined, ESPN does less talking about boxing that is not being aired on ESPN. Is it just me?
          Has ESPN being doing Canelo fight week sh^t like they usually do? Got Atlas & SAS going at it? I know I've not seen any crazy ass Atlas & SAS vids on twitter like I'm used to seeing around this time in a Canelo fight lead in.

Comment

You get more channels on the DAZN package than just the fight. They are 24/7 channels like the cartoon Network for your kids for example. And Danny, if you think Dave “116-112” Moretti and crew are good judges, more power to you.

Comment

Lol dude come on...there is not an inherent flow to ESPN or YMCA anymore than there is to DAZN. It's just that the ESPN and YMCA acronyms are much more common than DAZN.
              I mean at least people know how to say them doe. E S P N. Y M C A. DAZN isn't D A Z N its Da Zone somehow lol. People seem to mispronounce it 75% of the time I think still. Most mfers don't even go D A Z N they call it Dansin or some sh^t like that. Granted they are new & mfers were probably calling ESPN espen back in the day to, but its still one more hurdle for DAZN to clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                I mean at least people know how to say them doe. E S P N. Y M C A. DAZN isn't D A Z N its Da Zone somehow lol. People seem to mispronounce it 75% of the time I think still. Most mfers don't even go D A Z N they call it Dansin or some sh^t like that. Granted they are new & mfers were probably calling ESPN espen back in the day to, but its still one more hurdle for DAZN to clear.
                I agree with you guys that it's a silly name in a way - as a grown man I don't want to go around saying 'Da Zone' or 'Da' anything. I would say 'The Zone'. So basically I would always say D-A-Z-N if ever describing it.

I just think any new name will have pros and cons. Hell even the weirdness and ambiguity of this name leads people to have conversations like this, which isn't the worst thing in the world for their branding and name recognition.

To me ESPN showed you can have a weird name, but if you are ahead of the curve and have the content, people will come. DAZN just has to deliver on good content while keeping the price manageable. Easier said than done but I definitely like the idea of a streaming service like this, where you can pay $100-$200 for a year of good fights, with probably 10 PPV quality fights, rather than $100 for a good fight.

Comment

Canelo GGG 2

Rounds 1-3 were tight rounds. GGG landing more punches and generally controlling the round with his volume, and Canelo landing the best punch/combo of each round. I've had each guy up 2-1 after 3, with each guy taking different rounds at times. 2-1 after 3 is the right score, let's say Canelo up 2-1 after 3.

Rounds 4-5 were clear rounds for GGG. He settled in a little more and started landing a few big shots of his own in the rounds. Combined with his again outlanding Canelo by a significant margin in each round, these were clear rounds for him. Round 5 is interesting, as this was the one round where Canelo did force GGG to fight on the back foot. But GGG did it extremely well and showed us some skills he has never really had to display before. 3-2 GGG after 5.

Rounds 6-8 were fairly tight rounds. I usually split these 2/3 for the guy who I gave 1/3 of the first 3 rounds to. So that would be 5-3 GGG. Probably the right score in a close competitive fight where there were 6 close rounds, and 2 clear rounds for one guy. I could see 4-4 at this point but I think that is being pretty kind to Canelo.

Rounds 9-11 were clear rounds for GGG. At this point he is warmed up and since he never really has stamina issues, these mid-late rounds are where he can really gain an advantage over Canelo, who will always start out faster/quicker than GGG, but once it gets late in the fight it seems hard for Canelo to keep weathering the constant pressure and scoring from GGG. Could see 8-3 or 7-4 after 11.

Round 12s are always tough for me to score, especially when the fight isn't in doubt. They are usually all heart rounds, and if I don't need to score it, I usually just enjoy watching it to see what each guy has left. To me 9-3 to 7-5 were the acceptable range of scores in this fight, with 8-4 probably being the best. Which makes sense when you have one guy winning 5 clear rounds, and then having 7 close rounds.

How did you score it?
                  I’ve actually done videos on these and leave it at that...

Your breakdown is generalized. Pick any round out of the series. Say which punch(es) won that round, the compare it to a judge. From there we can debate what’s right and wrong or even subjective as we battle out the possibility of a swing round or “close” to call.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadoww702 View Post
                    1st thing I ask is how did you score the rounds! I don't like total scores because a lot don't asthmatically add up unless they did some 10-10 rounds or 9-9???

And when som GGG fans came out saying no WAY Canelo won more than 2 rounds??? You know what thats all about... Dougie Fisch said good sht on this today.

As I type this, I realize that there will probably always be controversy with Canelo because A) he does the get the benefit of the doubt in close rounds (and there’s often that one official judge bends WAY over backwards for him), and B) he’s got a dedicated legion of haters that will give his opponent’s more credit – round by round – than they deserve; so if the Mexican star legitimately wins a close/competitive fight by scores of 115-113 or 116-112, there’s going to be an outcry from biased hardcore fans and disgruntled boxing insiders that will claim Jacobs won by 115-113 margin or that the bout should have been a draw.

So, basically, the boxing world wants the best to fight he best, but we can’t tolerate a close decision after a hotly contested fight if one of the combatants is a star/media darling like Canelo. It is what it is.
                    Its not the boxing world in general that can't tolerate a close decision. Its fan boys who need to feel justified or affirmed. There are several of us who can tolerate a close decision going against our opinion or the guy we were rooting for.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      Has ESPN being doing Canelo fight week sh^t like they usually do? Got Atlas & SAS going at it? I know I've not seen any crazy ass Atlas & SAS vids on twitter like I'm used to seeing around this time in a Canelo fight lead in.
                      Seems lower that normal since the TR Espn deal to me. Granted i rarely just turn on ESPN and watch without a fight or football game I want to see on.

Comment

Working...
                      X