Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Teofimo Lopez vs. Masayoshi Nakatani IBF Eliminator, July 19

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angkag View Post
    Lopez already knew Commey wouldn't fight him in June, but the eliminator makes sure that Commey will have to choose between Loma (unification) and Teo (mandatory - assuming he wins), which ensures Loma v Commey happens as if he tries to back out, he backs into Teo.

Commey could avoid Loma by scheduling a unification with winner Campbell/Haney (if that fight happens), but Commeys money fight is Loma, so this eliminator makes sure it happens.

Assuming Teo wins the eliminator, Commey fights Loma earliest Sep, then very earliest Loma v Teo could happen is Dec, and he's already said he doubts he can make 135 by then.

More likely things stretch out a bit longer than that timeline, eg Sept is the earliest possible date for Loma assuming everything goes perfectly with the recovery from the hand injury - it might not, so Commey v Loma might be later in the year, pushing Teo into 2020 where he won't be able to make 135 any more.

Reason Teo might not take the Nakatani fight.
    Haney is NOT ready for Campbell. Cool hand would put a beating on him.

Comment

Originally posted by bushboy007 View Post
      You may be right. Haney sure looks like he has the goods to go on and be great, but we need to remember that while we look at Teo as being young and inexperienced, Haney is 18 months younger than Teo.

Campbell v Haney might be good for Haney even if he loses as he would get rid of the burden of the Zero, and Campbell isn't the type to put a beating on anyone, he'll outbox. So Haney would learn more in that one fight than against 5 cab drivers (bit like Loma learned as much in that one outing with Salido as he would have picked up in a couple of years vs lesser opposition).

And of course, not discounting that Haney might win. I hope the fight happens as it will be a good one however it pans out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ca$ual Fan View Post
        He’s not gonna get it his own way. He doesn’t call the shots
        But Bob does and unless he wants another disgruntled fighter then Bob needs to work his usual magic !

Comment

Originally posted by Squ□redCircle34 View Post
          But Bob does and unless he wants another disgruntled fighter then Bob needs to work his usual magic !
          Loma is the A-side between the 2. He calls the shots. He is aiming better achievements for his own; Lopez is not an achievement at this point.

Let Lopez take a belt and Loma will a have a reason to take his challenge

Comment

Originally posted by Ca$ual Fan View Post
            Loma is the A-side between the 2. He calls the shots. He is aiming better achievements for his own; Lopez is not an achievement at this point.

Let Lopez take a belt and Loma will a have a reason to take his challenge
            That’s my point, Bob needs to overrule the Campbell vs Haney fight if it happens and get Lopez vs Campbell!

Commey is likely gonna fight Loma after his tune up which leaves the WBC!

Bob gonna have to come outta his wallet if he wants his boy Lopez a belt!

I just don’t see Commey choosing Lopez over Loma!

Comment

An eliminator puts him on the right track for sure. But he has to work on his weight issues.

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post
                You may be right. Haney sure looks like he has the goods to go on and be great, but we need to remember that while we look at Teo as being young and inexperienced, Haney is 18 months younger than Teo.

Campbell v Haney might be good for Haney even if he loses as he would get rid of the burden of the Zero, and Campbell isn't the type to put a beating on anyone, he'll outbox. So Haney would learn more in that one fight than against 5 cab drivers (bit like Loma learned as much in that one outing with Salido as he would have picked up in a couple of years vs lesser opposition).

And of course, not discounting that Haney might win. I hope the fight happens as it will be a good one however it pans out.
                Go and rewatch Campbell's last 7 fights minus his loss to Linares. He beat those guys up bad! He outboxes, yes, but he also can really punch. I think Haney can be very good, but I have only seen him with bartenders and washed up former B-level fighters. To go from that straight to an Olympic gold medalist is asking for trouble. I would not advise Haney to take that fight right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Squ□redCircle34 View Post
                  That’s my point, Bob needs to overrule the Campbell vs Haney fight if it happens and get Lopez vs Campbell!

Commey is likely gonna fight Loma after his tune up which leaves the WBC!

Bob gonna have to come outta his wallet if he wants his boy Lopez a belt!

I just don’t see Commey choosing Lopez over Loma!
                  I won’t argue with that. I don’t like how Bob runs things too. For Lopez’s side, I think he’d still get a Loma shot through the IBF, he just has to make a sacrifice and extend his career at lightweight. He’s not the A-side he just can’t do it his way.

Even if Commey chooses Loma, the winner of that fight would still have to face Lopez as the mandatory and we do know how the IBF would run things. They will enforce it

Comment

It won't be competitive. Campbell is a can and a Linares leftover. Watch and learn.
                    Last edited by BoxingIsGreat; 05-03-2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Go and rewatch Campbell's last 7 fights minus his loss to Linares. He beat those guys up bad! He outboxes, yes, but he also can really punch. I think Haney can be very good, but I have only seen him with bartenders and washed up former B-level fighters. To go from that straight to an Olympic gold medalist is asking for trouble. I would not advise Haney to take that fight right now.
                      What's Campbell's best win? Mendy? Campbell hasn't fought anybody. Haney is too skilled for that BS. Campbell himself isn't even a B level fighter and never was. He's a C grade, just above the bum level.
                      Last edited by BoxingIsGreat; 05-03-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X