Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tyson Fury: I'm Lineal Champ - My Status Goes Back a 100 Years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
    ... that's how it is...

... but, now, do you remember how "team Wilder" also claimed that Fury was the "lineal"?...
    Yes team Wilder did ,they also retracted it when Fury declined a second fight and he wasn't the lineal ,he was a bum .

It doesn't matter who claims furys lineal .

No title = No lineal status.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
      Yes he would ,because he then forfeits the titles..you CLOWN.

You yourself just explained it in the previous post so now your going against it ?

How stupid are you?

if he RETIRED

not that he forfeited belts cuz he didnt want to pay sanctioning fees etc

Comment

Originally posted by davefromvancouv View Post
        Tyson Fury is the only one who did it. Tyson Fury is the only one who stepped in the ring and beat Klitschko when Klitschko was the lineal champion. Muhammad Ali is the only one who stepped in the ring and beat Sonny Liston when Liston was the lineal champion. WHEN ALI CAME BACK, Joe Frazier is the only one who stepped in the ring and beat Ali. You have beat the man to become the man. Especially, if the man COMES BACK. This has been going on since 1908, when Jim Jefferies came back and fought Jack Johnson after HIS temporary retirement.

But don't take my word for it:

Jefferies:
        "Because Jeffries had retired undefeated and had not actually ‘lost’ his heavyweight title, many felt he remained the true champion. "
        https://www.thefightcity.com/july-4-...f-the-century/

Ali:
        "He made nine defenses between 1965 and '67 before he was stripped of his titles after being found guilty on draft evasion charges. He'd eventually lose the lineal title in the ring to Joe Frazier in 1971."
        https://www.si.com/boxing/photos/201...t-champions#20

"In many minds Ali remained the genuine heavyweight champion of the world because he never lost his title to another fighter inside the ring." (ringtv link)
        https://www.******.com/181567-ali-quarry-remembered/

Fury:
        "Tyson Fury (27-0, 19 KO) doesn’t have a major sanctioning body title. For them, he doesn’t need one. He’s the man who beat the man."
        https://www.boxingscene.com/lineage-...weight--134150
        You provide a link, I provide a link, someone else provides a link.

In fact I'll go with the site you quoted for Jeffries with an opinion on Ali and Frazier

https://www.thefightcity.com/februar...ight-champion/
        Two weeks before the match, Ali graciously retired, surrendering his claim to the title so the sport could move on.

If Ali never got licenced again I'm guessing you would argue that the lineage changed with Ellis v Frazier. When Ali came back it rendered that lineage redundant and it was always with Ali? If Lennox came back now presumably Wlad and Fury were never lineal? You see how pointless this discussion is? History sorts it out - fighters either return or they don't but we don't know that at the time. The lineage gets resolved in hindsight. But very rarely is it definite - it takes a dominant boxer to take all doubt away. Ali did that, Tyson did that, Lewis did that. Fury certainly hasn't done that post his two retirement announcements.

We both have a valid opinion on the lineage and when it changed hands.

The difference between me and you is that I understand that it's debatable, whereas you think your opinion has to be correct.

The sad thing here is that I can see more and more fighters retiring undefeated or only fighting big names outside of their prime. If we don't get 1 v 2 we may not see certainty in the lineal champion for some time.
        Last edited by Toffee; 05-04-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
          You provide a link, I provide a link, someone else provides a link.

In fact I'll go with the site you quoted for Jeffries with an opinion on Ali and Frazier

https://www.thefightcity.com/februar...ight-champion/
          Two weeks before the match, Ali graciously retired, surrendering his claim to the title so the sport could move on.

If Ali never got licenced again I'm guessing you would argue that the lineage changed with Ellis v Frazier. When Ali came back it rendered that lineage redundant and it was always with Ali? If Lennox came back now presumably Wlad and Fury were never lineal? You see how pointless this discussion is? History sorts it out - fighters either return or they don't but we don't know that at the time. The lineage gets resolved in hindsight. But very rarely is it definite - it takes a dominant boxer to take all doubt away. Ali did that, Tyson did that, Lewis did that. Fury certainly hasn't done that post his two retirement announcements.

We both have a valid opinion on the lineage and when it changed hands.

The difference between me and you is that I understand that it's debatable, whereas you think your opinion has to be correct.

The sad thing here is that I can see more and more fighters retiring undefeated or only fighting big names outside of their prime. If we don't get 1 v 2 we may not see certainty in the lineal champion for some time.
          Actually, the difference between you and me is that I SEE a clear distinction between a mythical lineal title (that can only be won or lost in the ring) and an actual title sanctioned by a governing body.

So it's painfully obvious that Fury is the current lineal champion without an actual belt. It's clear as day...

And in your highlighted quote from the article, Ali relinquished the actual belt, which is separate from the lineal title. When he came back, he came back AS the lineal champion without an actual belt. Frazier only became the lineal champion when he beat Ali.

I agree that Fury has taken liberties during his reign (and continues to), but it doesn't change the fact that he owns the lineage at this time. Simple facts, but only because I don't conflate the lineage with the actual belts. Two separate things...
          Last edited by davefromvancouv; 05-05-2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Actually, the difference between you and me is that I SEE a clear distinction between a mythical lineal title (that can only be won or lost in the ring) and an actual title sanctioned by a governing body.

So it's painfully obvious that Fury is the current lineal champion without an actual belt. It's clear as day...

And in your highlighted quote from the article, Ali relinquished the actual belt, which is separate from the lineal title. When he came back, he came back AS the lineal champion without an actual belt. Frazier only became the lineal champion when he beat Ali.

I agree that Fury has taken liberties during his reign (and continues to), but it doesn't change the fact that he owns the lineage at this time. Simple facts, but only because I don't conflate the lineage with the actual belts. Two separate things...
            You've confused me with someone else. I've never said you need a belt, that was another guy in the thread. The article pretty clearly talks about Ali retiring so that the lineal could be fought for. Belts had long since ceased to be a factor.

Whether I agree with that or not isn't the point. It's clear that Frazier was lineal champ when the scores were read out against Ali. Whether he went in holding the title doesn't matter.

Like I've said repeatedly, it gets resolved in hindsight, not the present. Which is why Fury can have a claim to it, but it's not something real. He's been banned, retired, and is onto his third Z grade opponent. He's using something historically important to boxing fans as a marketing tool and pissing all over the history.

Compare that to Ali retiring for the sport's good.
            Last edited by Toffee; 05-05-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Stfu u fat cokehead cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by Toffee View Post
                You've confused me with someone else. I've never said you need a belt, that was another guy in the thread. The article pretty clearly talks about Ali retiring so that the lineal could be fought for. Belts had long since ceased to be a factor.

Whether I agree with that or not isn't the point. It's clear that Frazier was lineal champ when the scores were read out against Ali. Whether he went in holding the title doesn't matter.

Like I've said repeatedly, it gets resolved in hindsight, not the present. Which is why Fury can have a claim to it, but it's not something real. He's been banned, retired, and is onto his third Z grade opponent. He's using something historically important to boxing fans as a marketing tool and pissing all over the history.

Compare that to Ali retiring for the sport's good.
                Then stop trying to rewrite history. Fury doesn't have a claim to the lineal title. He actually did it. Fury beat Klitschko. That's all that matters with the lineage. Being banned, temporarily retired or refusing to fight the best opposition has absolutely nothing to do with what happened in that ring in 2015. Fury. Beat. Klitschko. So he's the lineal champ.

It's a pisser, but it's the truth. Plain as day.

Comment

Fury's last words on his deathbead will be "lineal doe"

Comment

He had lineal status aka was the top heavyweight when he beat Wlad, then he retired instead of rematching Wlad, failed a ped test, got so fat that he couldn't compete and didn't fight for over 2 years. Therefore, Fury lost lineal status. Imo the lineal status is vacant until Wilder, Joshua, Fury and possibly even Usyk and Whyte all fight each other and we see who the best of the best is.

Comment

Then stop trying to rewrite history. Fury doesn't have a claim to the lineal title. He actually did it. Fury beat Klitschko. That's all that matters with the lineage. Being banned, temporarily retired or refusing to fight the best opposition has absolutely nothing to do with what happened in that ring in 2015. Fury. Beat. Klitschko. So he's the lineal champ.

It's a pisser, but it's the truth. Plain as day.
                      Fury's lineal status is just as debatable as Ali's was after he retired and gave his blessing for Ellis and Frazier to fight for the lineal.

By your reckoning if Lewis comes out of retirement he's been lineal the whole time and none of this is relevant.

But I'll leave it there... if you can't see that your post is an opinion rather than a fact then I'm out of avenues.

Comment

Working...
                      X