Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much credit do you give Spence for beating Mikey Garcia?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He outworked a fat Garcia at the end of his big ass reach, is that that impressive?

And spence didnt use his size is about as asinine as it gets, is he supposed to jump on garcia to "use" his size, what fight has he done that in? The fight with the most inside fighting in spence's career was vs brook and that's mainly because he's fighting brook out of the clinch throughout the fight, his style is always to jump to the end of his jab and beat you from there. You're punches are a heavier if you are heavier/bigger, you take a better punch if you are heavier/bigger, and he obviously used his reach to the max.

The main reason for the landslide result in the fight was the slow and lumbering garcia who couldnt get off and let the openings pass him by. People acting like spence was outsmarting and setting garcia up for all these counters, and having him move into punches or something, when the truth is he could barely even get through garcia's defense, showing garcia always knew what he was doing, he stood infront of spence all night and spence couldnt get through his defenses with about 1000 punches thrown. Pacquiao hurt Broner about 3 times despite the guy doing nothing besides playing keep away, he set broner up.

It's not as bad as the inactive and old rigondeaux vs lomachenko, but it's definitely nowhere as good a win as crawfords vs gamboa, even brook vs golovkin was better, these guys whether from the help of juice or proper s&c showed up with their athleticism still, garcia had nothing, he was heavy, and strong and that was it, a heavybag and spence couldnt do nothing to him.
    Last edited by SplitSecond; 05-02-2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
      A solid amount. I could just do what the folks who picked Rigo vs. Loma via dominant win and give no credit but even though I picked Spence by easy KO he impressed with how much his skill befuddled Mikey though. He didn’t score the stoppage like GGG did vs. Brook or force him to quit like Loma did to Rigo but he gets decent credit but it’s not a great win just a great name.

The same folks crying about a lack of credit are the ones who gave Loma none for Rigo and even a lot of them picked Rigo. I’ve also seen a lot of the folks who gave Loma a ton of credit are giving Spence none probably in retaliation?
      Most of the people that picked Rigo did so when the fight was initially discussed between 126lb Loma and 122lb Rigo and the proposed weight was a CW at 124. You are a long time boxing fan that understands had the fight happened under these conditions, its closer to a 50/50 fight, say 55/45 or 60/40 Loma.

Many people changed the pick once the fight was between a 130lb Loma and 122 lb Rigo moving up 2 weight classes a year later. These conditions make the fight at a minimum 80/20 Loma.

I think it reasonable that a fighter gets more credit for a 55/45 or 60/40 win then he would an 80/20 win.

Since Spence/Mikey was always an 80/20 Spence type fight, he should get the same credit Loma gets for beating Rigo. You can't give credit based on people making a pick when the conditions of the fight were different.

Comment

A little credit. I was very impressed with the way that Spence beat him but Mikey had zero business fighting at 147.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          Most of the people that picked Rigo did so when the fight was initially discussed between 126lb Loma and 122lb Rigo and the proposed weight was a CW at 124. You are a long time boxing fan that understands had the fight happened under these conditions, its closer to a 50/50 fight, say 55/45 or 60/40 Loma.

Many people changed the pick once the fight was between a 130lb Loma and 122 lb Rigo moving up 2 weight classes a year later. These conditions make the fight at a minimum 80/20 Loma.

I think it reasonable that a fighter gets more credit for a 55/45 or 60/40 win then he would an 80/20 win.

Since Spence/Mikey was always an 80/20 Spence type fight, he should get the same credit Loma gets for beating Rigo. You can't give credit based on people making a pick when the conditions of the fight were different.
          Nah, you know there were tons still picking Rigo on fight day and in the build up. I saw it on here, I saw it on social media. I remember a lot saying "size doesn't matter it's all about skill", stuff like that and that Rigo was on another level and Loma was unskilled, a fraud, would get "exposed" etc;

I just find it funny that a lot of those folks said that then cried, then said Spence will KO Mikey and then cried he's not getting the credit. Even Loma said he didn't give himself much credit whereas Spence was saying he's pound for pound with a win.

To me both are solid wins. I was 100% certain of each winner, but had Spence via KO. Loma gets a little more credit for getting the stoppage win considering he's not seen as a puncher. Both impressed with their skill.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
            Nah, you know there were tons still picking Rigo on fight day and in the build up. I saw it on here, I saw it on social media. I remember a lot saying "size doesn't matter it's all about skill", stuff like that and that Rigo was on another level and Loma was unskilled, a fraud, would get "exposed" etc;

I just find it funny that a lot of those folks said that then cried, then said Spence will KO Mikey and then cried he's not getting the credit. Even Loma said he didn't give himself much credit whereas Spence was saying he's pound for pound with a win.

To me both are solid wins. I was 100% certain of each winner, but had Spence via KO. Loma gets a little more credit for getting the stoppage win considering he's not seen as a puncher. Both impressed with their skill.
            Yes chrisjs, some picked Rigo on NSB. Social media outside of NSB has no bearing on what is discussed in the forums. There were repeated posts on NSB from a small group of people who were picking against Loma primarily because they do not like him.

Your complaint is fair about the specific about the posters that posted that then cried. It is unfair to bring into NSB stuff from outside and act like the majority of NSB did this.

I think both deserve credit as well. My main point is it is completely reasonable for people to adjust credit given if the circumstances change. That has been done often on NSB if a fight doesn't occur when it should or at the weight it should.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
              everybody in industry knew the size differential, reach. Why didn't Spence fight an inside game instead of being conservative which was translated as a boxing clinic?

When you're not taking risks to get counter for a guy smaller than you there's really not much credit. As Mikey said, ''if you can catch me.'' Errol didn't make it a priority that he could stop the smaller guy.

#agenda. Spence obviously was annoyed when those legends said that Mikey was more skilled, specifically SRL.. And they kept bringing it up b4 the fight. And as soon as he won he brought it up. And he obviously..... U know what im done with this convo. Im wasting my breath.

If he bulldozed him...Yall would really be talking shyt..

Lemme say one more time for the folks in the back

#AGENDA

Comment

He beat one of the top 5-10 P4P fighters in the world.

Comment

A little, which is more than I usually give fighters for winning physical mismatches. Mikey is a special talent, in his prime, active and was champ in the division just below. Zero credit for Canelo, Lomachenko and Golovkin though.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                    He outworked a fat Garcia at the end of his big ass reach, is that that impressive?

And spence didnt use his size is about as asinine as it gets, is he supposed to jump on garcia to "use" his size, what fight has he done that in? The fight with the most inside fighting in spence's career was vs brook and that's mainly because he's fighting brook out of the clinch throughout the fight, his style is always to jump to the end of his jab and beat you from there. You're punches are a heavier if you are heavier/bigger, you take a better punch if you are heavier/bigger, and he obviously used his reach to the max.

The main reason for the landslide result in the fight was the slow and lumbering garcia who couldnt get off and let the openings pass him by. People acting like spence was outsmarting and setting garcia up for all these counters, and having him move into punches or something, when the truth is he could barely even get through garcia's defense, showing garcia always knew what he was doing, he stood infront of spence all night and spence couldnt get through his defenses with about 1000 punches thrown. Pacquiao hurt Broner about 3 times despite the guy doing nothing besides playing keep away, he set broner up.

It's not as bad as the inactive and old rigondeaux vs lomachenko, but it's definitely nowhere as good a win as crawfords vs gamboa, even brook vs golovkin was better, these guys whether from the help of juice or proper s&c showed up with their athleticism still, garcia had nothing, he was heavy, and strong and that was it, a heavybag and spence couldnt do nothing to him.
                    I agree good post.

Comment

None what so ever, I didn't even bother watching the fight, just caught some highlights. The fight was as stupid as GGG vs Brook or Loma vs Rigo.

Comment

Working...
                      X