Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Luis Ortiz Turned Down $5M, Asked For $10M To Fight Joshua 6/1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
    Ortiz' name recognition is way higher now than it was before he fought Wilder. I don't understand how that can be argued. He almost KO'd Wilder in the 7th and that is what he hangs his hat on these days. He's considered a top 5 HW by pretty much everyone now, even at 70yrs old. Five million is nothing to sneeze at, but it does make you wonder why Hearn would offer less to Ortiz than he did Miller.
    Show me proof his name is more known now than before the Wilder fight?

I don't care about what your brain thinks. I want facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonhead_Jeff View Post
      If Joshua generates ten times as much revenue as Wilder
      then why is it unthinkable for opponents to demand more
      money for fighting Joshua?

Matchroom wants to run their boxing promotion like Walmart

They want to make billions while paying their associates
      minimum wage.
      Yeah, Floyd paid millions didn't he to all his opponents.

They got paid 2-3 Mill max. Oscar nor Tyson paid out millions and millions due to them getting huge money. Recently Manny made big money but Broner made less than 3 Mill.

Just stop posting. Please. There are already enough crazies about without you adding to it all.

Comment

• $5m certainly isn't a lowball offer, it's a career high purse for Ortiz and more than he would earn against anybody else except possibly a Wilder rematch

That said, if the delay is trying to negotiate it up a bit that's fine, that's business. But, if they're actually holding out for 10 and turn down an increased final offer then they've intentionally priced themselves out

Comment

• Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
          You think cheats cycle when training for a fight and not on the off season?

I'm going to ask you an honest question: Do you have any mental illness of any sort? I'm not being mean, i'm just really curious now. Any problems? Because you have to be the most unusual person I've ever come across. I know Americans are extremists, but you're way too extreme. Unless of course, you are in fact the leader of the ******s like a lord or something? Is that what it is?
          LOL, Hello, there mate! I wondered when you would show up. You're trolling pretty hard today huh, Sid?

So how is everything in your neck of the woods? Are you Okay? What's troubling you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Corelone View Post
            Ortiz is holding Hearns feet to the fire, they have history. Ortiz went to the UK looking for AJ and Hearn wouldn't allow it. Now it's Hearns turn to beg. Mr Flat rate many options is in bad spot and he'll pay one way or another,
            Ortiz wasn't up next. The IBF mandatory was. Ortiz would have been after that. But he instead went after the weaker title holder in Wilder. The IBF would have stripped AJ if he didn't fight next. They made that very clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Probably neither. Eddie has options. Ortiz has options. Thats why they didn't agree on a deal. Deals don't get made when both parties got a lot of options generally. The nature of deals is that of a partnership of equal need or even of equal pain if some middle ground is needed to be found. Neither of these sides realllllllly need each other right now. Or needed each other enough you could say.

Now could they come to regret it? Sure. If Hunter upsets Joshua with some slick boxing Hearn might have wished he'd have paid off grandpa. And if Ortiz gets sidestepped by Wilder & never gets another title shot he might have wished he'd taken the 5 millie. But you can't pick your past decisions on what the future results end up being.
              Yeah I get all that but even if there was a Wilder vs Ortiz 2, I can’t see Ortiz making more than 3 million . So to turn down 3 belts and 5 million is bizarre. Now the worst case scenario for Ortiz is that he doesn’t get a title shot from Wilder and to be honest what does Wilder gain facing him again? I can’t see wilder keen to rematch him and why should he

Comment

• Originally posted by techliam View Post
                No, it has not.

He was supposedly a boogeyman that everyone was avoiding. Then he was Ko’d by the lesser regarded champion of the division, and has now avoided a 5 million dollar showdown against Joshua.

You are far inflating Ortiz’s worth for some reason
                You are wrong. You are clearly an aJ fanboy.

Ortiz is a 10x better opponent than miller, and much better known, much more marketable. Just look at how much anger he brings out in you. You seem to know all about him.I bet you know nothing about millers past in comparision.

Should get at least what Miller was getting. AJ should have been fighting ortiz from the start. Which is why i dont beleive really wants this fight to happen.

Ortiz isnt scared of anyone, he already fought the most dangerous man in the division, the only reason for him to duck this is PEDs or if he cant get fit in time. Fair call given AJ will have already done his steroid cycle and have an unfair advantage.

Hope this fight gets made, the only people not wanting this fight to be made, are the pathetic AJ fanboys who dont want AJ to get hurt, and prefer him to fight bums back to back,

Comment

• Originally posted by Ake-Dawg View Post
                  It wasn't a 10 million dollar demand, it was a 10 million dollar asked. It's called negotiating. The article stated that Kern Was preparing another offer, sounds like Ortiz and his team are right where they want to be. Why are you and others so much against a fighter seeking to maximize his purse every time he steps in the ring?
                  For the same reason people are on here when a promoter logically tries to lowball a rival fighter.... it’s boxing

Comment

• Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
                    I mean we seen fighters die in and out the ring due to boxing. Ortiz is a older guy, I see nothing wrong asking for more money. AJ has been in camp and Ortiz only gets 5 weeks.

However he is ducking big time.
                    So every fighter should ask for ridiculous money beyond their market price because they could die in the ring?

Yeah, that won't work. Boxing would collapse after having to overpay everyone. No profit would be made. Use your head and stop trying to justify all the cowards asking for stupid money.

I hope you keep the same energy if an overseas fighter asks this of American fighters. We'll see you change your tune real fast and contradict yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
                      Ortiz won't ever get more than what Hearn is offering.
                      Maybe not. Ortiz might never see a $5M payday. Joshua might not see the $50M payday he was offered. Wilder might never see a $120M 3(?) fight deal that DAZN offered him. Thats the f#cking way things are in boxing. Its fickle & the money can come beyond your wildest expectations or be gone with a bad night.

But if Ortiz gets the Wilder fight this year as expected, beats Wilder this time then he's looking at a nice fat sexy multi fight deal from DAZN too probably. Probably won't be $120M, hell it won't be $120M, but it'll be better than $5M per fight I guarantee you that.

Now do you take $5M now to fight Joshua (where he's almost 100% going to be signing a deal with a locked in rematch purse & options win or lose after that that limit his upside) or do you gamble on having a slightly better night vs a guy you almost beat in your only loss for maybe $1M-$2M this time around, but if you do beat him your still a free agent & can probably get a multifight offer from DAZN for lets say $50M for 3 fights (maybe $25M to unify with Joshua & $12.5M for 2 other fights or maybe just $25M for a rematch or w/e).

Its a double bird in the hand situation I'd argue. Cuz $5M is a lot of f#cking money obviously so thats a sexy bird in the hand, but who knows how he'll fair against Joshua. Meanwhile we know Ortiz faired pretty f#cking good against Wilder the first time & almost KO'd him. Maybe Ortiz, the smarter boxer learned some sh^t in that first fight that lead to him coming up short that he feels he can correct this time around edging him to the W. Thats a potentially sexy bird in the hand as well. So even if we are getting short money of $1M-$2M for that fight IF we pull it out that W could be worth $50M+ off of a multifight DAZN offer to unify with Joshua which is a pretty solid gamble worth taking.

Now this is speculative obviously, but I don't necessarily see this is far from the truth & facts of the situation as we speak.

So whats the sexier option to you? $5M to fight a guy you don't know if you can beat or not OR the potential for $50M if you can beat the guy you almost beat already & might know why you didn't beat him now & can correct those things?

Fair play whatever you pick if you do pick, but I think there are upsides to both roads being taken so the answer to the question is much more up in the air.
                      Last edited by Eff Pandas; 04-24-2019, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X