Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Luis Ortiz Turned Down $5M, Asked For $10M To Fight Joshua 6/1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Noelanthony View Post
    Maybe but who will regret their decision more?
    Probably neither. Eddie has options. Ortiz has options. Thats why they didn't agree on a deal. Deals don't get made when both parties got a lot of options generally. The nature of deals is that of a partnership of equal need or even of equal pain if some middle ground is needed to be found. Neither of these sides realllllllly need each other right now. Or needed each other enough you could say.

Now could they come to regret it? Sure. If Hunter upsets Joshua with some slick boxing Hearn might have wished he'd have paid off grandpa. And if Ortiz gets sidestepped by Wilder & never gets another title shot he might have wished he'd taken the 5 millie. But you can't pick your past decisions on what the future results end up being.

Comment

• Originally posted by SchoolTheseCats View Post
      He deserves what miller was making and a lil more for it being short notice not 10mil more though...miller can’t even sell in his hometown, Ortiz/wilder sold over 15k at Barclays was a exciting fight, and can bring in the Cuban/Latin following that’s in New York in all honesty Ortiz should of been the first choice over miller
      The tickets have all but gone and a sell out against Kermit the Frog would be guaranteed. Also, it isn't PPV in the US. So the only income stream for the fighters to be affected will be the UK PPV (and it really doesn't matter whether it is Ortiz or Hunter or Ruiz for the UK casual). DAZN will no doubt want to drive subscribers which is why they supplemented Miller's purse. Does Ortiz bring in more subscribers than Ruiz? I doubt it. It is all about AJ.

Comment

• I think 5 million was fair and I don't base that on what he previously made because that is irrelevant.

I base it on if it went to purse bid and the challenger got 20-25% as stipulated by some orgs. So 5-6 million based on 25 million purse of which 20 m would go to Joshua.

Perhaps a kicker for the last minute prep, but not a 5m kicker. maybe 250-500k max.

I can only think drugs. I can't help but think that. Or Haymon's tv deals.

Comment

• Originally posted by techliam View Post
          No, it has not.

He was supposedly a boogeyman that everyone was avoiding. Then he was Ko’d by the lesser regarded champion of the division, and has now avoided a 5 million dollar showdown against Joshua.

You are far inflating Ortiz’s worth for some reason
          Ortiz' name recognition is way higher now than it was before he fought Wilder. I don't understand how that can be argued. He almost KO'd Wilder in the 7th and that is what he hangs his hat on these days. He's considered a top 5 HW by pretty much everyone now, even at 70yrs old. Five million is nothing to sneeze at, but it does make you wonder why Hearn would offer less to Ortiz than he did Miller.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Probably neither. Eddie has options. Ortiz has options. Thats why they didn't agree on a deal. Deals don't get made when both parties got a lot of options generally. The nature of deals is that of a partnership of equal need or even of equal pain if some middle ground is needed to be found. Neither of these sides realllllllly need each other right now. Or needed each other enough you could say.

Now could they come to regret it? Sure. If Hunter upsets Joshua with some slick boxing Hearn might have wished he'd have paid off grandpa. And if Ortiz gets sidestepped by Wilder & never gets another title shot he might have wished he'd taken the 5 millie. But you can't pick your past decisions on what the future results end up being.
            Wise words. Only flaw I see is Wilder not wanting to fight Ortiz again before cashing out (or not being able to because of Whyte).

Comment

• don't see the problem , he's 40 yrs old, best payday I understand to date is $500,000 , he is not charismatic, marketable or American and when will he get his chance again ? His decline could accelerate due his age and what happens if wilder and Joshua win their fights and decide to unify ? There are two fights there and that's a year away with him sitting around waiting or having to keep his standards up at his age by boxing contenders and possibly getting beat ..my guess is advisers all want their bit but why should Hearn pay extra for all his greedy hangers on. Like I said yesterday something is only worth what you can get for it and the window to collect does not stay open for long .. not 40 anyway ...

Comment

• Ducked per Haymon's directions. No way around it.

Expect Ortiz to get a crazy payday against a powderpuff in his next fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
                  Ortiz' name recognition is way higher now than it was before he fought Wilder. I don't understand how that can be argued. He almost KO'd Wilder in the 7th and that is what he hangs his hat on these days. He's considered a top 5 HW by pretty much everyone now, even at 70yrs old. Five million is nothing to sneeze at, but it does make you wonder why Hearn would offer less to Ortiz than he did Miller.
                  And Collazo almost stopped Thurman. And Josesito Lopez made referee closely watch Thurman if he is still alive. So what.

Comment

• Originally posted by W1LL View Post
                    $5 million, or ten times what Luis Ortiz made fighting Deontay Wilder? Wow.
                    If Joshua generates ten times as much revenue as Wilder
                    then why is it unthinkable for opponents to demand more
                    money for fighting Joshua?

Matchroom wants to run their boxing promotion like Walmart

They want to make billions while paying their associates
                    minimum wage.

Comment

• Ortiz is holding Hearns feet to the fire, they have history. Ortiz went to the UK looking for AJ and Hearn wouldn't allow it. Now it's Hearns turn to beg. Mr Flat rate many options is in bad spot and he'll pay one way or another,

Comment

Working...
                      X