Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Pedraza: I'm Proud of What I Did, It Was Close Until The 11th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
    Das,
    Now don't get me wrong, in the 70's & 80's NYC had some Arse Kicking Gyms;

Gramercy Boxing Gym (Manhattan)
    Time Square Boxing Gym (Manhattan)
    Ringside Gym (Manhattan)
    Gleasons Gym (Manhattan)
    Starrett City Gym (Bklyn)
    Universal Gym (Bklyn)
    Bedford Styvesant Boxing Gym (Bklyn)
    Park Slope Boxing (Bklyn)
    Spartans Boxing Gym (Bklyn)
    Morris Park Gym (Bronx)
    Apollo Gym (Bronx)
    Betances Boxing Gym (Bronx)
    Jerome Boxing Gym (Bronx)
    to name a few...And my experience with fighters that came from PR, they were always saying that the boxing gyms were practically free & that they had good facilities & were always attended by a trainer as oppose to there experience in NYC where sometimes the cost was too much & they weren't attended by a trainer.
    So what i'm referring more to the gyms that they have today & the last 10 years over here. Put it this way when I first went to the alburgue Olylimpico Gym I was impressed! The same thing happen when I went to other gym in Isabela, Toa Alta, Cayey, Dorado, Salina, Aguadilla..etc...
    And thank you for bringing up the WBA low balling Alberto Machado from the real WBA champ because he beat the real champ in Jezree Corrales. Then they decide to make Gervonta Davis the real Champion... How the boxing world allows stuff like that to happen is crazy.
    And as for Jesus Rojas?...That's my dog! The dude should 've been crown when he fought Jorge Arce, Jorge Lara quits on him... & then when he whips Marreo, he should have been given a shot at Mares & or Santa Cruz. And we all know what happen when these 2 held the belts hostage only to fight 1 year later. It's ironic he should have gotten a title at the real title....

Mayaguez...you gotta check out MIRADERO!
    a salute to; Dulce Labios, Columbo Landing, Mani...& remembering the caserio Marina Farm!!!

Think Boxing!
    My bad, I don't mean to disrespect NYC Gyms, I know they have a history in the Golden Years of Boxing. I never knew about them in the present day, about what you said of them. About the gyms from Puerto Rico is true what you said. Maybe I am only hearing the bad experience of some fighters in Puerto Rico out of frustration because they got a bad trainer in the sense of bad training, not attended property, they not have the same luck to get the quality what other fighters get in the same Puerto Rico. That is the negative we puertoricans who live in the same island have in common, we like to critique something excellent based of bad experience of people. Is truth I see those excellent gyms in Puerto Rico and I fallen in the web of the negative experience of those fighters and believe all is the same in the entire island. If I recall correctly, in the same Albergue Olimpico, one fighter said he was tired of the trainers and the gym because he was 3 months doing the same of switching position, movement and jab, then he said the trainers abandoned him. Now that you said those positive things, I think that fighter don't put 100% commitment and said that out of frustration. As a puertorican I believed and put the seal that gym is not good. I am going to explore again and go more open minded about the good we have. Thank you for sharing your experience and said all those positive things. I don't appreciated what we have. That give me more hope about the Boricuas fighters we have.

Is truth about Jesus Rojas and he have the skills to beat those two, he was going to have a real belt, but Leo Santa Cruz and Abner Mares inactivity cost a dream to Jesus Rojas. I know he have the regular WBA, but I was angry with Joseph Diaz using his weight to bully him, thank God Jesus Rojas have that belt, because we know how dirty are the WBA.

Also I wish you have success as a trainer and get a great opportunity. Never in my dreams I imagined so you are a trainer, especially one who experience our island. The world have his surprises always.

I am impressed you know a lot about Mayaguez.
    Last edited by Dasmius Shinobi; 12-12-2018, 11:19 PM. Reason: corrections

Comment

Originally posted by Dasmius Shinobi View Post
      My bad, I don't mean to disrespect NYC Gyms, I know they have a history in the Golden Years of Boxing. I never knew about them in the present day, about what you said of them. About the gyms from Puerto Rico is true what you said. Maybe I am only hearing the bad experience of some fighters in Puerto Rico out of frustration because they got a bad trainer in the sense of bad training, not attended property, they not have the same luck to get the quality what other fighters get in the same Puerto Rico. That is the negative we puertoricans who live in the same island have in common, we like to critique something excellent based of bad experience of people. Is truth I see those excellent gyms in Puerto Rico and I fallen in the web of the negative experience of those fighters and believe all is the same in the entire island. If I recall correctly, in the same Albergue Olimpico, one fighter said he was tired of the trainers and the gym because he was 3 months doing the same of switching position, movement and jab, then he said the trainers abandoned him. Now that you said those positive things, I think that fighter don't put 100% commitment and said that out of frustration. As a puertorican I believed and put the seal that gym is not good. I am going to explore again and go more open minded about the good we have. Thank you for sharing your experience and said all those positive things. I don't appreciated what we have. That give me more hope about the Boricuas fighters we have.

Is truth about Jesus Rojas and he have the skills to beat those two, he was going to have a real belt, but Leo Santa Cruz and Abner Mares inactivity cost a dream to Jesus Rojas. I know he have the regular WBA, but I was angry with Joseph Diaz using his weight to bully him, thank God Jesus Rojas have that belt, because we know how dirty are the WBA.

Also I wish you have success as a trainer and get a great opportunity. Never in my dreams I imagined so you are a trainer, especially one who experience our island. The world have his surprises always.

I am impressed you know a lot about Mayaguez.
      Das,
      Something I noticed, (and I know there are other trainers in this site please feel free to comment on this) fighters now a days have different habits, they train & compete less. From a trainers prospective, I see that they do their roadwork less & the dedication is like 80%...in boxing dedication has to be 100%. As a former fighter I just saw how fighters prepared back in the 70's & 80's....and I have to say it is a far cry from back then. Fighters now a days look for youtube & actually take stuff on the internet over their coaches. And then there is the strength conditioner coach...Who aren't needed at all. Boxers are foolish, they become world champions without a strength conditioning coach, they win a title, and now all of a sudden they have to get a strength conditioning coach???

Last week I was at Gleason's gym for 2 boxers that were competing, Mark Breland (Wilders Trainer) who happens to be a good acquaintance of mine, walks over to me & we start discussing about the Fury & Wilder fight. I say, hey man that was some fight? I also asked, what went thru your mind when Fury got back up? He just smiled & said ...man I saw & heard a loud crash on the canvas, BOOM! And thought to myself great now we can go home....then he just gets up...crazy. Mark Breland, Great person perhaps one of the great amateur fighters of all time in NYC & former World Champion & 1984 olympic gold medalists.

The great Benitez showed me around the Island, I love Joyuda in Cabo Rojo. How about a Vino Fido in Barrio Balboa? Does it still exist? Thanks for your well wishes. I prefer to train amateur fighters, but I do get hired to work with professionals here & there. I really don't care for it, but I do like the money $. Like just about anything else it is a very hard sport, one where the trainers 90 % of the time get screwed by the managers, promoters & even there own fighters that they made & developed from the very beginning...

Thanks!
      Last edited by sugar ray lenrd; 12-13-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
        Das,
        Something I noticed, (and I know there are other trainers in this site please feel free to comment on this) fighters now a days have different habits, they train & compete less. From a trainers prospective, I see that they do their roadwork less & the dedication is like 80%...in boxing dedication has to be 100%. As a former fighter I just saw how fighters prepared back in the 70's & 80's....and I have to say it is a far cry from back then. Fighters now a days look for youtube & actually take stuff on the internet over their coaches. And then there is the strength conditioner coach...Who aren't needed at all. Boxers are foolish, they become world champions without a strength conditioning coach, they win a title, and now all of a sudden they have to get a strength conditioning coach???

Last week I was at Gleason's gym for 2 boxers that were competing, Mark Breland (Wilders Trainer) who happens to be a good acquaintance of mine, walks over to me & we start discussing about the Fury & Wilder fight. I say, hey man that was some fight? I also asked, what went thru your mind when Fury got back up? He just smiled & said ...man I saw & heard a loud crash on the canvas, BOOM! And thought to myself great now we can go home....then he just gets up...crazy. Mark Breland, Great person perhaps one of the great amateur fighters of all time in NYC & former World Champion & 1984 olympic gold medalists.

The great Benitez showed me around the Island, I love Joyuda in Cabo Rojo. How about a Vino Fido in Barrio Balboa? Does it still exist? Thanks for your well wishes. I prefer to train amateur fighters, but I do get hired to work with professionals here & there. I really don't care for it, but I do like the money $. Like just about anything else it is a very hard sport, one where the trainers 90 % of the time get screwed by the managers, promoters & even there own fighters that they made & developed from the very beginning...

Thanks!
        Thank you for sharing that there are more trainers in this site. I never imagine that. The only one I know is from the Daily Mail Stephen "Breadman" Edwards who is very knowledgeable about boxing. He can be great boxing analyst. I am very impress you know Mark Breland and interact with him. Also I was in shock that the Great Benitez show the wonders of Puerto Rico. If this was me, is a dream come true. In reality you have a great career, you had experienced the side of a fighter and now you are still experiencing the side as a trainer. Thank to you I learned a good deal of information.

Joyuda in Cabo Rojo is still the great tourist spot to eat good food. Also is amazing Sangria Fido in Balboa still exist and is upgraded.

Comment

Working...
        X