Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fury: If I Fought Wilder In Manchester, We'd Sell 75,000 Tickets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TinAgeOfBoxing View Post
    Seems like a no brainer to have the fight in England. Boxing is more popular there and it would put more pressure on AJ/Hearn. They could even have worked out a skit where Wilder could cruise over to AJ's house and rob him and smack his woman after the fight.
    Exactly, that fight happening here would put more question on Joshua, right now they think Wilder isn’t pushing for the fight. Had this fight happened here and Wilder destroying Fury in front of the British public! Big noise over here. Puts Joshua on the back foot.

Comment

I'm not that sure the fight would sell out one of the Manchester football stadiums unless the non-ringside tickets were going extremely cheaply.
      I'm not questioning Fury's boxing ability or past achievements, just his popularity level. It's simple fact that he is far less popular than Joshua with the British public - partly due to his background and partly due to his own actions over recent years. To fill 75k plus seats in a stadium you need more than just the hardcore boxing fans, you have to appeal to the casuals as well - whether they are predominantly fans of other sports, fans of big events, socialites, or just the general public.

Comment

Originally posted by lolasif View Post
        Old Trafford, the largest venue in Manchester only holds 75,000.

Although, the fact that Fury couldn't sell out the Manchester Arena suggests that there is no chance of him ever filling Old Trafford.
        Not strictly true. Its 75k seated for a football match. Your forgetting the pitch itself would all seating to.

Comment

If the fight was in Vegas it would possibly sell out . Only Mexican Americans , or big name fighters from California will put asses in the seats. Also the wildfires in LA could be hurting this event as well. In Vegas people would go just to bet on the fight .

Comment

Originally posted by bboy80 View Post
            Not strictly true. Its 75k seated for a football match. Your forgetting the pitch itself would all seating to.
            Agreed, but how many more tickets would that be. I doubt Fury would have done the math in estimating it. Much easier just to say 75,000 tickets.

Either way, it's never going to match the capacity at either Wembley or Principality.

Comment

Originally posted by Bardamu View Post
              The live gate is nothing. This is 2018. The real money comes from ppvs nowadays. (Or from DAZN if you are Canelo Alvarez.) Also, to be fair, this fight could sell 75,000 tickets in L.A. If they priced them low enough. In the U.S., being at a marquee boxing match is a status symbol. There are always all kind of celebrities at big fights. This is why ticket prices for big fights are so ridiculous.

The reason it is in the states and not England is because of ppvs. Not many Americans are going to pay to watch boxing at 5 or 6 in the afternoon/evening. And the price in North America is a lot more than the roughly $25 it is in England. Also, the British are better fans of boxing. There will still be plenty of ppv buys in the U.K. Even at whatever time it is over there. 2 or 3 am I believe. In fact, it is entirely possible there will be more U.K. buys than North American ppv buys. It is selling the ppv for three times as much that is the reason the fight is in the U.S.

I think the reason it is in L.A. instead of Nevada is because Fury's team felt more comfortable there will be fair, impartial judging/scoring outside of Las Vegas.
              It will be cca. 5 am Sunday morning UK time. So much about big UK PPV sales.
              BTW, UK PPV price will be cca. 20$.

Comment

Originally posted by Bardamu View Post
                Practically ever major fight in the U.S. severely overprices tickets. Its not like it is just this fight.

All fights in Vegas sell less tickets. All of them. Mayweather-McGregor only sold 13,000 seats. And still is #2 for largest gate ever. This fight isn't going to get that kind of revenue, but it is pathetic to act like only selling 20,000 is abnormal for big boxing matches in the U.S.

I guess Floyd-Pac, Floyd-McGregor, and Canelo-g I and II were all really sad then. None of them even sold 20,000 tickets. lmao.

"Wow this is pretty sad." The only thing that is pretty sad is your ignorance of basic facts.
                All fights that you mention were sold out. They maybe gave away (to different partners) 1-1,5K tickets, but the rest were sold out. Keep living in your bubble. Wilder vs washed up Gypsy Clown is already a flop, and you know it.

Comment

A guy from the UK and another from Alabama fighting in LA. Makes sense to me.
                  I mean why have it in NY or overseas where you could sell more tickets or make it easier for British fans to get to the fight.

PBC just makes head scratches decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                    maybe you shouldn't have said that buddy..... ?

pretty sure that Joshua sells about 90k fighting scrubs

which is why he will not fight Deontay Wilder
                    Seeing somebody talk about AJ fighting scrubs and Deontay Wilder in the same post is astonishing.

But then .. that somebody is you, so I guess I shouldn't really be too surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamsc151 View Post
                      I'm not that sure the fight would sell out one of the Manchester football stadiums unless the non-ringside tickets were going extremely cheaply.
                      I'm not questioning Fury's boxing ability or past achievements, just his popularity level. It's simple fact that he is far less popular than Joshua with the British public - partly due to his background and partly due to his own actions over recent years. To fill 75k plus seats in a stadium you need more than just the hardcore boxing fans, you have to appeal to the casuals as well - whether they are predominantly fans of other sports, fans of big events, socialites, or just the general public.
                      Fury is a lot more popular with UK casuals now than he was before his lay off.

I think AJ going life and death with Wlad, and Fury Lite (sorry Hughie) struggling to make an impact against Parker made people realise just how good Tyson is.

And his larger than life personality - controversial or not - was missed.

Comment

Working...
                      X