Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What year did you start watching boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

around 1988 i believe, so almost 30 years ago, chavez fighting the likes of rosario, ramirez and taylor made me a fan of the sport...

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
      Boxing Questionnaire:

What year did you become a boxing fan and start watching it (all the time?)

What was the first boxing match you remember watching?

I started watching boxing in 2009, after noticing the sport for years. I somehow became interested when Floyd Mayweather made his return after a short retirement. Now I knew of the sport. Who doesn't. I knew Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis and even the guys in other divisions like Zab, Roy Jones and Tarver. I just never really watched it. Everyone was talking about Mayweathers comeback so I was like "let me see what this dude about." Found a stream online and became a boxing fan.

Kind of wish I started earlier. The early 2000s seemed real interesting.
      Around 2001, pacquiao was already a national hero in our country during those times and every Filipino would just tune in every time he fights. i was 9 back then.

TBH, I only heard about Floyd when he fought DLH in 07. As I used to support filipino boxers only.

I became a hater for years, it’s actually quite obvious in my thread history.
      And became a fan in 2010, which also obvious in my thread history.

I’m actually proud on where I am currently as fan, I believe I’m objective as I can be at all times.

Comment

De la hoya vs ruelas in 1995 is the farthest fight back I remember watching. Would always root against the golden girl lol

Comment

Sometime in the mid 80's with my dad but the first fight I actually remember watching was Tyson Douglass.

My dad and I went to see Tyson Spinks, it might've been a bar or something I can't recall. He kept telling me not to fall asleep because Tyson fights don't last. I dozed off for a few and the fight was over.

Comment

1985. Barry Mcguigan vs Eusebio Pedroza. The same era that Tyson turned pro and I was hooked from then on.

Comment

Frank Bruno vs Joe Bugner was the first one I really remember when I woulda been about 15, though there were certainly other fights before that when boxing was on regular terrestrial TV (Barry McGuigan definitely comes to mind). Even that was a treat though - didn't have a TV until my dad came over from Greece and even then he guarded that lil 14" Black and white piece of shite like the Crown Jewels. Boxing was one of the few things the fucker let me watch, but it did create some of the few fond memories I had of him.

Funnily enough and perhaps not coincidentally I picked up the sport again full time after a chance conversation at his funeral back in 2011 about how the boxers from the former Soviet Bloc were doing in the pro-ranks. I'd been a casual in between, catching the biggest fights - especially those involving UK guys (specially Hatton) but not paying much attention beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
                Sometime in the mid 80's with my dad but the first fight I actually remember watching was Tyson Douglass.

My dad and I went to see Tyson Spinks, it might've been a bar or something I can't recall. He kept telling me not to fall asleep because Tyson fights don't last. I dozed off for a few and the fight was over.
                You fell asleep in a bar, lmao.

Comment

September 12th, 1992. Chavez-Camacho

My dad had a party with all his drinking buddies over and I remember how hyped they were for Chavez. Logically, I was rooting for Chavez too. I don't remember much about the fight besides the ring entrances but I did watch that VHS over and over for the following years and used it as inspiration to put hurt on my younger brother. Good times.

Comment

1992/1993 Holyfield-Bowe. My dad would watch big fights and my grandfather all fights so used to watch with them and then got way more hooked than them. I’d get books for Christmas, birthdays etc;. Got all the magazines, started getting old fights etc; I’ve never looked back since.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
                      You fell asleep in a bar, lmao.
                      Foreshadowing perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                      X