No announcement yet.

HBO IS DEAD THEIR OBSESSION WITH EE FIGHTERS KILLED It

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
    It's because the Eastern Europe bloc fighters are much cheaper and less expensive to broadcast as opposed to the North American fighters.
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HBO started giving fighters who would work for less the TV time rather than American fighters that wanted their fair rate. They kept forcing these guys down are throats.

Then Arum caught wind and started signing a bunch of Olympians and fighters from other countries that he could make huge money off of by promoting to their ethnic base. Can't get mad because profit is the name of the game.

No way Zou Shiming should get prime TV spots over an American.

Comment

They failed. They tried to shove no good White fighters down our throats and it back fired. Hope King Canelo leaves them after this and joins Showtime.

Showtime is the place to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. EBT 97K View Post
        They failed. They tried to shove no good White fighters down our throats and it back fired. Hope King Canelo leaves them after this and joins Showtime.

Naw, GBP has an espn deal so I expect him to go there.

Comment

They burned bridges with Haymon and Arum. No way they could survive and honestly I don't think they cared.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HBO started giving fighters who would work for less the TV time rather than American fighters that wanted their fair rate. They kept forcing these guys down are throats.

Then Arum caught wind and started signing a bunch of Olympians and fighters from other countries that he could make huge money off of by promoting to their ethnic base. Can't get mad because profit is the name of the game.

No way Zou Shiming should get prime TV spots over an American.
            Exactly. I don't think it's racist on HBO part. They just went with a different and cheaper strategy

Comment

didn't watch the video, but nothing to do with EE's.

HBO has been cutting their budget for years, and not replacing big name fighters when they've left or retired.

Comment

I do not think it is HBO that has the obsession problem.

This thread is an example of the folks I speak

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. EBT 97K View Post

Nothing to do with the race. Someone like Pavlik if promoted properly would have been huge. Bigger than Floyd if they kept him undefeated.

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
                    Bud Crawford
                    Right.

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Well like you said its different now.

Do you think SRL & Ali would have been as big as they got if they've fought on cable, HBO or Showtime & PPV for their biggest fights for their whole career? I don't. I think most people would agree. Or at best it'd been much harder for them to reach the level they did & there time in mainstream culture woulda been much shorter cuz it'd have happened later in their career.

And I also think if Tank or Broner or the Charlo's were out there in the mainstream like SRL & Ali had the luck to be based on the time they existed in boxing they'd be much bigger then they are now.

Its difficult to compare the old days with today when the landscape of the sport is so different. Its a apples to orange comparison.
                    But why would guys like the Tanks and Broners and Charlos of the world be out there in the mainstream?

They're not transcendent talents like Floyd, Ali, Tyson, etc. . . and they don't fight anywhere near enough to maintain a real presence, and they just come off as unlikeable 90% of the time.

Bud Crawford and Errol Spence are the closest things we have to transcendent talents, right now, but unfortunately the promoter wars are gonna make it too hard for them to get the fights to become big stars and they don't have big personalities to make up for that fact.

Sugar Ray Leonard and Muhammad Ali would be bigger stars today.

Just imagine Muhammad Ali with Twitter?

Imagine what he'd be saying about Donald Trump? or Tyson Fury? or Deontay Wilder or Anthony Joshua?

He'd be in movies, TV shows. He would've definitely made a rap album by now.

Sugar Ray Leonard was handsome, articulate, came off as clean cut and was entertaining to watch at the same time.

That's my point. American boxing's not creating guys like that anymore to be promoted by anybody.

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
                    in your previous post tho u mentioned a guy like shane mosley....shane never crossed over either or was really all that popular....you are comparing broner and davis to ali and leaonard now...cmon?!?!?

you were right in what you said before tho...the sport has changed...its not as popular as it was in the days of ali, leonard or tyson......meanwhile the nba and nfl are bout 50x as popular now as they were back when those guys were big
                    I wasn't comparing Broner & Tank to Ali & Leonard in talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
                      But why would guys like the Tanks and Broners and Charlos of the world be out there in the mainstream?
                      They'd have had the chance at the mainstream cuz lotsa cats fought on regular TV back in the day.

They're not transcendent talents like Floyd, Ali, Tyson, etc. . . and they don't fight anywhere near enough to maintain a real presence, and they just come off as unlikeable 90% of the time.
                      Think you aren't understanding me. I'm flipping Ali & SRL to today & Tank & dem to the past. My point isn't their talent cuz I think Ali is overrated as f#ck & idk that we know how great the Charlo's & Tank can be yet. My point is about how things were different back then & highly talented fighters fought on regular TV all the time back then & therefore had a bigger presence in the hearts & minds of mainstream boxing fans vs the hardcores who support guys now.

Sugar Ray Leonard and Muhammad Ali would be bigger stars today.

Just imagine Muhammad Ali with Twitter?
                      Ali wouldn't be Ali if he was around today. He'd be Broner taking IG pics of himself sh^tting & flipping out on Uber drivers. Ali would be fighting mfers in strip clubs. Ali in 2018 ain't the same mfer he was in 1960 & probably would be banned from twitter.

That's my point. American boxing's not creating guys like that anymore to be promoted by anybody.
                      I disagree with your point. SRL gots a sex tape if he's around in 2018. This is a different time. No one would be Ali or SRL in this era. That corny good guy sh^t don't play the same way.

Not to mention if Ali was around today he's fighting on HBO to a much smaller audience then he did for his whole career & his biggest fights are on PPV for 1M people give or take. And there is no Vietnam war protest to get Ali into appreciated territory at the end of his career like he did back in the day.

Comment

Working...
                      X