No announcement yet.

HBO IS DEAD THEIR OBSESSION WITH EE FIGHTERS KILLED It

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
    I'm not sure it was their "obsession". They lost Lomachenko because Top Rank went to ESPN and GGG would draw it's highest ratings outside of Canelo. I think Kovalev drew better than most on it too. It's not like the Super Fly cards are drawing well or if the Jacobs shows did well or if Ward was drawing well.

They simply just cut their budget and had less and less dates and promoters took their guys elsewhere. I don't think it's due to showing European boxers I think it's more down to they just didn't have regular programming.

I think it's very likely in 12 months there will be no more HBO Boxing. I think Kellerman and Lampley are insanely biased and at times annoying but I still like the production value and excitement that an HBO broadcast produces. A lot of classic fights I still watch to this day were HBO shows. Them days are gone.
    Their production value as far as lighting, coloring, camera work are all a notch above anyone else in the business, but they have been doing it for 30+ years now...

Their commentary team started to get bad when they added Max Kellerman.

He started his tenure as the ultimate Floyd fanboy, I guess with how Merchant was to Mayweather, they wanted someone to keep Floyd on the network.

It got tiresome very fast, and he was clearly told to dial it back, but recently, he just dont care anymore. He probably gets paid by event and isn't salaried, and the shows are so few and far between now, he is just going full fangirl again.

If you have fast hands and head movement, there is zero chance Kellerman will ever think you are losing a fight. You get hit? You are probably just setting up a trap. You cover up while you are getting a beating? You are intelligently weathering the storm.

He just makes comments that makes everyone in the room look at each other like "what fight is he watching?"

Some times it feels like he wrote down all the notes for how he thought the fight was going to go, and just reads them on air, because his comments dont reflect whats going on very often anymore.

Then there is Lamply who was fine when he was just doing blow by blow, but with Max going so far one direction, he seems to be trying to offer contrasting opinions, either to spur conversation, or to keep things balanced.

It just makes it end up looking like neither of them are actually paying any attention to whats happening in the ring, as they both have to be told by Roy Jones.

What also really rubs me the wrong way about Max is that he tries to sound so passionate and like he really cares about the sport and whats going on, but he is fangirling so hard, he is just completely oblivious to how biased his commentary is.
    Last edited by !! Shawn; 09-17-2018, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• One episode of Game of Thrones probably gets more views than an entire year of boxing. Can you really blame them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        I don't think todays fans would appreciate a HW who's best weapon is a jab & who goes the distance so much. Ali is a better version of Chris Byrd if he was around today & he might only be a top 20ish guy cuz the size issue is a problem & his power not keeping opponents honest.

Its not the same now as it was back then doe.

I'd doubt gangsters would hang with a 8th grader sized dude.
        Dude, Ali was more exciting to watch than Floyd Mayweather, wasn't he?

Is Floyd Mayweather not successful?

And if things aren't that bad today, then why are we having race riots all over America as we speak? You don't think a guy like that would be a part of the movement with his consciousness?

A Black American heavyweight champion, who's handsome, charismatic, controversial, and (regardless of what you say) extremely talented is money. Ali would be printing money. He'd rescue the sport by himself.

And I know you can't be from the hood if you aint never seen no short thugs.

Dude, everybody's 10ft tall with a strap and people don't fight no more.

Like, I know you're an Ali hater, but it's ridiculous to underrate his personality as much as you do. Dude's the most charismatic athlete of all-time, yet you think nobody would want to watch him because he's not Mike Tyson?

I mean, Tyson Fury's talked himself into a world heavyweight championship shot. And he doesn't knock people out either

Guys like Conor McGregor are printing money because of their mouth.

Floyd Mayweather's a money printing machine and hasn't knocked anyone out in a decade.

I totally forgot the inroads with things like WWE he had.

Ali was a big wrestling guy and was in the first Wrestlemania. A young Ali would be doing all kinds of crossover stuff with that, today too.

He'd be on your TV everyday. Dating Rihanna, fighting with Donald Trump, supporting Kaepernick, making fun of Anthony Joshua, and hanging out with Kendrick Lamar at Black Lives Matter rallys.
        Last edited by The D3vil; 09-18-2018, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
          Dude, Ali was more exciting to watch than Floyd Mayweather, wasn't he?
          Ali had a lot of boring fights. I'm not saying he didn't have some fun ones to, but Ali for a HW was pretty f#cking boring overall. If not for his fights with Frazier & Foreman & a couple others he'd be neck & neck with Wladimir as the most successful yet boring HW champion of all times.

And if things aren't that bad today, then why are we having race riots all over America as we speak? You don't think a guy like that would be a part of the movement with his consciousness?
          Its different less big sh^t doe. The 60's cats was on another level & had to be. Mfers around today just wanna play video games & tweet sh^t & are largely happy enough based on their actions. Can't get mfers on some sh^t as big as those 60's cats were on nowadays.

And I know you can't be from the hood if you aint never seen no short thugs.
          Who said there's no short thugs? I'm saying real gangstas ain't trying to hang with no 5'3 dude or w/e Tank is. And if they do its some novelty sh^t beyond normal novelty sh^t.

Like, I know you're an Ali hater, but it's ridiculous to underrate his personality as much as you do. Dude's the most charismatic athlete of all-time, yet you think nobody would want to watch him because he's not Mike Tyson?
          LOL I'm not a Ali hater. I simply think he's mad overrated historically. And yes if he was around now I don't think people would be as excited for him. B-Hop preaches & a lot of boxing fans can't stand his speeches. Fury is maybe the most entertaining guy out of the ring today & he gets a lot of hate. Ali wouldn't be different. Sh^t Ali wasn't different. He was mostly hated in his career, but people have re-written his story like everyone was rooting for the braggart despite that sh^t never being a thing unless the other guy was a more hated bragger.

Comment

Ali had a lot of boring fights. I'm not saying he didn't have some fun ones to, but Ali for a HW was pretty f#cking boring overall. If not for his fights with Frazier & Foreman & a couple others he'd be neck & neck with Wladimir as the most successful yet boring HW champion of all times.

Its different less big sh^t doe. The 60's cats was on another level & had to be. Mfers around today just wanna play video games & tweet sh^t & are largely happy enough based on their actions. Can't get mfers on some sh^t as big as those 60's cats were on nowadays.

Who said there's no short thugs? I'm saying real gangstas ain't trying to hang with no 5'3 dude or w/e Tank is. And if they do its some novelty sh^t beyond normal novelty sh^t.

LOL I'm not a Ali hater. I simply think he's mad overrated historically. And yes if he was around now I don't think people would be as excited for him. B-Hop preaches & a lot of boxing fans can't stand his speeches. Fury is maybe the most entertaining guy out of the ring today & he gets a lot of hate. Ali wouldn't be different. Sh^t Ali wasn't different. He was mostly hated in his career, but people have re-written his story like everyone was rooting for the braggart despite that sh^t never being a thing unless the other guy was a more hated bragger.
            1. ALL of Floyd Mayweathers fights are boring (after 135lbs or so), people still pay to watch him, even if it's to watch him lose. No way are Ali fights more boring than Mayweathers.

2. LeBron James, Serena Williams, Colin Kaepernick, Eric Reed and tons of other athletes do more than tweet and play video games. Why would Ali with his consciousness?

3. Dude, Gervonta Davis is 5'5, which is taller than Eazy-E was, who was only 5'3" and was the ONLY real gangsta in NWA, as a member of the Kelly Park Compton Crips. Size aint **** in the hood, bruh, where everybody packs gats.

4. You're comparing B-Hop with the most charismatic athlete and maybe entertainer of the 20th Century?

That's ridiculous.

I don't care how overrated you think Ali is (which is crazy considering his resume), but his personality isn't in question, even by people who hated the guy.

Even people who hated him from Vietnam admitted the guy was funny and smart, FFS.

Comment

• Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
              1. ALL of Floyd Mayweathers fights are boring (after 135lbs or so), people still pay to watch him, even if it's to watch him lose. No way are Ali fights more boring than Mayweathers.
              Who's comparing him to Floyd. Ali was a HW. Thats a whole other league of boxing with fans. And outside of a couple of his fights he was boring as f#ck.

2. LeBron James, Serena Williams, Colin Kaepernick, Eric Reed and tons of other athletes do more than tweet and play video games. Why would Ali with his consciousness?
              Maybe he would, but I'd bet against it.

3. Dude, Gervonta Davis is 5'5, which is taller than Eazy-E was, who was only 5'3" and was the ONLY real gangsta in NWA, as a member of the Kelly Park Compton Crips. Size aint **** in the hood, bruh, where everybody packs gats.
              LOL we off on some whole other sh^t here. I f#cking forgot what the f#ck this even gots to do with anything we are talking about at this point.

4. You're comparing B-Hop with the most charismatic athlete and maybe entertainer of the 20th Century?

That's ridiculous.
              I'm saying people ain't into all that preaching bs nowadays just like they weren't back then. So Ali would likely never become loved cuz he'd be the assh#le talking sh^t & he'd have no great cause that'd keep him out of the ring...unless he got popped for PEDs or something.

I don't care how overrated you think Ali is (which is crazy considering his resume), but his personality isn't in question, even by people who hated the guy.

Even people who hated him from Vietnam admitted the guy was funny and smart, FFS.
              Retroactively people loved him. Ali wasn't loved til the back end of his career by most. He was the Floyd of HW's during most if not all of his prime. Today he'd probably be #MeToo'd out of the limelight like Cosby or Weinstein for all the underage p#ssy he enjoyed.

And considering a good percentage of people consider Ali the P4P best boxer of all time or among the top 5 says he's overrated as all f#ck. The guy barely threw body punches. Mostly he just jabbed. He was maybe the quickest HW ever or among the quickest (& run like no other HW in the history of boxing maybe) & had great ring generalship/IQ & he knew how to win fights/what judges liked. But its insanity such a limited guy punch selection-wise, who probably deserved to have double digit losses, is a cat some think is the best to ever box.

Comment

Who's comparing him to Floyd. Ali was a HW. Thats a whole other league of boxing with fans. And outside of a couple of his fights he was boring as f#ck.

Maybe he would, but I'd bet against it.

LOL we off on some whole other sh^t here. I f#cking forgot what the f#ck this even gots to do with anything we are talking about at this point.

I'm saying people ain't into all that preaching bs nowadays just like they weren't back then. So Ali would likely never become loved cuz he'd be the assh#le talking sh^t & he'd have no great cause that'd keep him out of the ring...unless he got popped for PEDs or something.

Retroactively people loved him. Ali wasn't loved til the back end of his career by most. He was the Floyd of HW's during most if not all of his prime. Today he'd probably be #MeToo'd out of the limelight like Cosby or Weinstein for all the underage p#ssy he enjoyed.

And considering a good percentage of people consider Ali the P4P best boxer of all time or among the top 5 says he's overrated as all f#ck. The guy barely threw body punches. Mostly he just jabbed. He was maybe the quickest HW ever or among the quickest (& run like no other HW in the history of boxing maybe) & had great ring generalship/IQ & he knew how to win fights/what judges liked. But its insanity such a limited guy punch selection-wise, who probably deserved to have double digit losses, is a cat some think is the best to ever box.
                Who said anything about Ali preaching?

Dude was just funny, same way Tyson Fury and Conor McGregor were funny.

Him dissing guys like Sonny Liston, Ernie Terrell, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, wasn't him preaching.

All the comedy sh&t he did with Howard Cosell and even The Beatles weren't about preaching.

He was an all around entertainer, who grew up idolizing Gorgeous George and other pro wrestlers.

He'd be a spectacle for his charisma, charm, and comedy, even if you won't give him anything else

Kids loved the guy. He would do magic tricks.
                what does that have to do with preaching?

I don't man, I think you've got a skewed view of Ali or something as just preaching guy who didn't throw body shots or something and ignored all the stuff that made him beloved even before his Vietnam stuff.

Comment

• The fear of Eastern Euros dominating boxing is REAL. They really cant stand it lol.

Comment

• the card was horrible, too much talking in between fight for $95 yall can say what yall want about LDBC but they have good content, come can be biased but everyone is to a degree, 78sportstv is the least biased and has great videos!

Comment

• Originally posted by uppercut510 View Post
                      the card was horrible, too much talking in between fight for $95 yall can say what yall want about LDBC but they have good content, come can be biased but everyone is to a degree, 78sportstv is the least biased and has great videos!
                      all them ebt fools are biased.

Comment

Working...
                      X