Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Alvarez Makes Statement, Knocks Sergey Kovalev Out in Seven

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm very happy for Alvarez, he truly deserved it

Comment

• Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
      I think he should take it. He was winning the fight until he got caught.
      barely if at all

Comment

• Re

Alvarez did exactly what he had to do. Of Main Events' top guys, there aren't too many decision losses in the NY/NJ area.

In fact, I'm surprised the Alvarez camp agreed to fight in Main Events' back yard. They've been on the receiving end of some very favorable judging in NY/NJ.

Comment

• i'm still in shock, didn't see this coming, kovalev showed no defense last night. i feel bad for him but i gotta admit feel happy for alvarez who's been kept aside for a while now and really deserved his shot at a belt. as for kova, i don't see him having any succes vs someone like bivol or beterbiev. maybe have another fight and hang 'em up. maybe john smith?

Comment

• The hatred for Andre Ward is sickening you dudes have real issues

Comment

• First off, Ward would whip Alvarez easily. Second, Kovalev whipped himself last night. Dude has too many bad habits. Everyone knows them NOW. That dude looked soft. He keeps his hands down. Alvarez is a good fighter. He did the right things, solid boxer AND WAS IN SHAPE. He definitely did his homework.

Comment

• Congrats to Alvarez, I hope "superman" sacks up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing1012 View Post
                  BTW again, it's nothing racial with pointing out why Ward was hyped up. Let me try to break it down in detail.

90-95% of money in fight sports is spent by white/hispanics. Most of that percentage is spent by whites.

Most people spend money to root for fighters they can identify with. Race is a big identifier for people. They will also spend money to root against fighters who they can't identify with (often of another race).

Point being that for a black fighter to succeed he has to follow the Floyd model. Be talented, but also stay undefeated and be flashy enough to have white people want to see you lose. The more you win, the more your profile rises. It's like a snowball, and Floyd executed that strategy wonderfully.

Broner was all set to be the next Floyd, but he wasn't good enough. Ward was too, but he wasn't interesting enough outside of the ring.

Let's say hypothetically there was a super talented black boxer who can't speak English from the Ivory Coast. Do you really think he would get the same publicity and favorable treatment as a black American boxer? The only way a guy like that could succeed is if he played the villain. And if he can't speak English, then he has no chance of getting any hype.

The money is in hyping up US fighters, and there are a lot of really good US black fighters anyway, so it all works out.

But Ward's skills never matched his backstory - Gold medal Olympics, half white, half black. That all sounds great.

But if he was from Ghana no one would even know who he was. He would have a few legit losses, a few DQs, and would never be able to fight the way he did (would have had a lot of points taken off for dirty fighting).

When was Ward hyped up? Never. Shut up.

Comment

• I missed it...

Comment

• I haven't been this satisfied watching someone get starched since Wilder put Stiverne to sleep in one round

Comment

Working...
                      X