Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What fighters would have beat Salido in their 2nd pro fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mikey g beat salido at the same age loma was when he lost to him

age matters just as much....loma was fighting with headgear long after most men turn pro

if age didn't matter you wouldn't hear AJ fanboys crying "Ortiz is so old hes like 80"...instead youd hear them saying "Ortiz only had 21 pro fights so he was too green for wilder"

Comment

The real question is why is bob so afraid to match Loma tough? He will throw him to salcido in his second fight but is hesitant to fight mikey

Comment

What fighter would challenge Salido in the second fight?
        Disclaimer: I'm a fan of Lomachenko, just pointing out the dumb decision he made

Comment

Originally posted by Real boxer View Post
          Where do you find a record for quasi pro fights? How many quasi pro fights does someone like Spence have? Or Andre Ward? Or Maidana?

Again, this is not about giving anyone a pass. Its a simple question of which fighter would have beaten a 55 fight veteran former world champion in their second pro fight.
          Those guys have none. Are you aware of the WBSS/AIBA tourney that Loma participated in?

If you are not, then I can't get upset that you don't seem to understand the point being made and why I am saying your question isn't intellectually honest.

I am not saying the question isn't simple-I am showing you how the your question as asked doesn't take into account why Loma's "2nd" pro fight was actually his 8th.

My answer: IMO if I take Floyd, roy, Holyfield and Salvador sanchez, and some others, and gave them 6 pro fights but didn't count them against their actual record and then put them in with a Salido or someone with equivalent experience and resume in their "2nd" pro fight, I think they would beat him.

For the record, even if it is his 8th fight it doesn't take anything away from him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            Those guys have none. Are you aware of the WBSS/AIBA tourney that Loma participated in?

If you are not, then I can't get upset that you don't seem to understand the point being made and why I am saying your question isn't intellectually honest.

I am not saying the question isn't simple-I am showing you how the your question as asked doesn't take into account why Loma's "2nd" pro fight was actually his 8th.

My answer: IMO if I take Floyd, roy, Holyfield and Salvador sanchez, and some others, and gave them 6 pro fights but didn't count them against their actual record and then put them in with a Salido or someone with equivalent experience and resume in their "2nd" pro fight, I think they would beat him.

For the record, even if it is his 8th fight it doesn't take anything away from him.
            Sanchez lost his 19th fight to Antonio Becerra, a solid but unspectacular fighter who fought exclusively in Mexico and never came close to getting a title shot. He also got a draw 3-4 fights later with Juan Escobar who was a punching bag for some of the contenders/cannon fodder of that era. Salido was a far more accomplished and seasoned fighter than either of those. In fact Becerra and Escobar were less experienced than Sanchez.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
              Sanchez lost his 19th fight to Antonio Becerra, a solid but unspectacular fighter who fought exclusively in Mexico and never came close to getting a title shot. He also got a draw 3-4 fights later with Juan Escobar who was a punching bag for some of the contenders/cannon fodder of that era. Salido was a far more accomplished and seasoned fighter than either of those. In fact Becerra and Escobar were less experienced than Sanchez.
              Be careful about just looking up boxrec because it doesn't give context.

The loss and draw were highly controversial. He was 18. The Beccera fight was his 1st outside of his "home region" of Mexico. The draw was I believe his 1st US fight.

Loma was 25 when he fought Salido. Sanchez died at 23 and had just defeated Azumah Nelson.

I think he'd have defeated Salido.

Comment

Originally posted by Real boxer View Post
                So Vargas would have been better off starting at 25?
                No. If I remember correctly, Vargas was 22 when he fought Tito. Too young and too inexperienced for someone like Tito. He'd have done much better had he gained more experience before that fight.

Point is Loma wasn't that young to get the "he young, doe" excuse. That's all.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  Be careful about just looking up boxrec because it doesn't give context.

The loss and draw were highly controversial. He was 18. The Beccera fight was his 1st outside of his "home region" of Mexico. The draw was I believe his 1st US fight.

Loma was 25 when he fought Salido. Sanchez died at 23 and had just defeated Azumah Nelson.

I think he'd have defeated Salido.
                  I'm a huge Sanchez fan (along with Jofre my favorite old school fighter) not a boxrec jockey. I'll be watching all 16 of his televised fights in the next couple weeks as I do every year in the month of his last fight.

You do know why the Escobar fight was controversial? He was knocked down twice and was believed to be lucky to get a draw. He was told the weight was different than what it was on the morning of the fight and had to lose the weight last minute. It's the only time he went down.

Nelson also was a novice at that time in terms of pro experience and took the fight on three weeks notice due to an injury to the Colombian #1 contender (his name escapes me now).

The whole comparison is a bit weak because the fact is that Loma did stay amateur and was very limited on pro experience. His longest bout was 5 rounds in the WBS. He had an advantage of obviously being the most skilled guy to ever turn pro but there's a lot more to pro boxing hence why even the best amateurs ever don't go directly into 50 fight veterans or world title fights.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
                    I'm a huge Sanchez fan (along with Jofre my favorite old school fighter) not a boxrec jockey. I'll be watching all 16 of his televised fights in the next couple weeks as I do every year in the month of his last fight.

You do know why the Escobar fight was controversial? He was knocked down twice and was believed to be lucky to get a draw. He was told the weight was different than what it was on the morning of the fight and had to lose the weight last minute. It's the only time he went down.

Nelson also was a novice at that time in terms of pro experience and took the fight on three weeks notice due to an injury to the Colombian #1 contender (his name escapes me now).

The whole comparison is a bit weak because the fact is that Loma did stay amateur and was very limited on pro experience. His longest bout was 5 rounds in the WBS. He had an advantage of obviously being the most skilled guy to ever turn pro but there's a lot more to pro boxing hence why even the best amateurs ever don't go directly into 50 fight veterans or world title fights.
                    Fair points.

My point is those 6 quasi pro fights make the question misleading. I agree there is more to pro boxing but most amateurs don't have the financial luxury to stay amateur long enough to be 25 and have 400 fights.

He didn't really go directly to Salido. Loma was put in with Salido because Bob and the TR matchmakers felt he could win given his amateur career and the WBSS success.

Comment

2nd pro fight, Salido overweight, ten times more low blows than Ward hit Kovalev with.

Take away one of those factors and Loma probably wins but so what?

Bottom line is that you have to have a complex about Loma to begin with if you think that the Salido fight is important so far as where Loma is right now in his career.

Comment

Working...
                      X