Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What fighters would have beat Salido in their 2nd pro fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4truth View Post
    2nd pro fight, Salido overweight, ten times more low blows than Ward hit Kovalev with.

Take away one of those factors and Loma probably wins but so what?

Bottom line is that you have to have a complex about Loma to begin with if you think that the Salido fight is important so far as where Loma is right now in his career.
    Yeah, I don't think it really factors in. He's clearly a MUCH better and more improved fighter. I think the pro experience and high caliber opposition helped.

I think if you watch his fights now and his skills but still are held up on a controversial SD loss against an opponent who fouled relentlessly, cheated the scales etc; then you are in denial. Even the Salido fight you can see how much he improved and grown into the pro game when he had Salido out on his feet hanging on for dear life at the end.

I think Russell may end up being a better fighter than Linares (if he ups his schedule to at least 2 fights a year) and it's clear to see Loma is a much better and more complete fighter NOW than he was when he beat GRJ 11-1. It's like the pro experience actually had an impact unbelievably. The Loma of the Walters fight for example would have gotten GRJ out of there instead of the 11-1 win.

Fighters develop and improve differently. Hopkins lost to a bum age 24 and didn't win a title until he was 30. Marquez and Arguello failed their first title attempts (Arguello by wide decision, Marquez controversial) and Marquez didn't win a title until age 29 and visibly got better from the Medina fight. I don't think we think about this stuff too much when assessing them. Arguello is a top 10 Latino fighter ever, Hopkins and Marquez among the best 5 or 6 best fighters of their era. There's undefeated hall of famers like Calzaghe, Ward who are clearly less accomplished fighters than Marquez, Hopkins and Arguello.
    Last edited by chrisJS; 08-01-2018, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      Those guys have none. Are you aware of the WBSS/AIBA tourney that Loma participated in?

If you are not, then I can't get upset that you don't seem to understand the point being made and why I am saying your question isn't intellectually honest.

I am not saying the question isn't simple-I am showing you how the your question as asked doesn't take into account why Loma's "2nd" pro fight was actually his 8th.

My answer: IMO if I take Floyd, roy, Holyfield and Salvador sanchez, and some others, and gave them 6 pro fights but didn't count them against their actual record and then put them in with a Salido or someone with equivalent experience and resume in their "2nd" pro fight, I think they would beat him.

For the record, even if it is his 8th fight it doesn't take anything away from him.
      Show me where quasi pro is factored into any of his record? Is it quasiboxrec.com.?

Comment

Mikey Garcia. In fact, Mikey did beat Salido, and Mikey was only 26 at the time. Same age Loma was when Salido embarrassed him.

Of course, there is no shame in that. Mikey is #1 p4p. He is fighting the best at 147, while Loma is chasing Beltran. I know Loma is the same size as Mikey physically, but Mikey's heart is at least 10x larger than Loma's. Like I said, no knock on Loma, he is a great fighter. He is also intelligent, as proven by the fact that he said he doesn't want to fight Mikey anytime soon, but someone easier, like Beltran.

Comment

Originally posted by Real boxer View Post
          Show me where quasi pro is factored into any of his record? Is it quasiboxrec.com.?
          Boxrec does list the age. Mikey and Loma were both 26 when they fought Salido. One of them beat Salido and the lesser one lost to him. One is trying to fight the best ww in the world and the other is trying to fight the 4th or 5th best lightweight. No shame in any of that, Mikey is just a class above everyone else, Loma included.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Cool View Post
            Boxrec does list the age. Mikey and Loma were both 26 when they fought Salido. One of them beat Salido and the lesser one lost to him. One is trying to fight the best ww in the world and the other is trying to fight the 4th or 5th best lightweight. No shame in any of that, Mikey is just a class above everyone else, Loma included.
            Great. But thats not what this thread is about. Mikey Garcia fought a guy with one fight in his second fight. Loma fought a guy with 55.

Comment

Loma got pro experience without it counting against his record. Acknowledging doesn't change the official record but it does give the proper context.

Both Mikey and Loma were 25 when the fought Salido. Maybe Mikey is better than Loma.

That's why I hope they fight. I don't know who would win.

Comment

Nobody but a Lomachenko 25yrs old and his pedigree is fighting a Salido in his second fight. We know he’s special. But he didn’t pull it off. Gets no credit. Only stymies his career financially, unless maybe he learned enough for it to be a blessing. Who knows.

Comment

[QUOTE=Real boxer;18983374]What 16 year old are you talking about?[/QUOTE

Canelo turned pro at 16, sum have younger. Fighting a salido in ur second pro fight is great on paper. Unless ur a 25yr old Olympic gold medalist and u totally expected to win. Older and younger have beaten Salido. No credit. Had all his life to train for the pros. Couldn’t do it at 25yrs old.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    Loma got pro experience without it counting against his record. Acknowledging doesn't change the official record but it does give the proper context.

Both Mikey and Loma were 25 when the fought Salido. Maybe Mikey is better than Loma.

That's why I hope they fight. I don't know who would win.
                    So you’re saying we can just make up official records for fighters now?

Comment

[QUOTE=Blond Beast;18987257]
                      What 16 year old are you talking about?[/QUOTE

Canelo turned pro at 16, sum have younger. Fighting a salido in ur second pro fight is great on paper. Unless ur a 25yr old Olympic gold medalist and u totally expected to win. Older and younger have beaten Salido. No credit. Had all his life to train for the pros. Couldn’t do it at 25yrs old.
                      Wilfredo Benitez was world champion at 17. Whats your point?

Comment

Working...
                      X